facebook

Problems with HTML Editor

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Sprint-TX

Just something to note:….The pages that I am working on are mostly HTML with a couple of JSPs. I am also switching quite often from Source and Preview panes (I rarely use the Designer). Not sure if this helps/hinders the troubleshooting, but you might find it useful.

#225147 Reply

Sprint-TX

Hey, something else…

Once the error occurs (either the popup error or the typing is backwards), I can close the file and reopen the file, and the last changes that I made are still there. However, if I close MyEclipse and get back in, the changes that I made right before the error occured are no longer there. I am assuming that if you add a deployment to Tomcat, that the file you edit is saved and then copied to the deployment area for an Exploded deployment. Could it have something to do with the file that I am currently working on being cached in memory and the saved file not be stored to disk (sort of a delayed background task)?

#225148 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Sprint, those are interesting additions, but they do not help *me* narrow down what it could be, possibly the other developer I asked will gain some insight from them, thank you for posting it.

#225165 Reply

rateoty

hi,

although I sometimes have had this strange behaviour (backward typing), I think this is not necessarily an eclipse/myEclipse issue but rather a jvm problem:
    When using firefox browser with java-applet (in fact the clearcase web client), sometimes typing an address in the browser happens in reverse typing order too. This only happens, when the computer is heavy at work.

Jürgen

#225172 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jürgen,
    This is odd indeed and does shed some light on the situation as none of us have seen the backwards typing problem which is what is making it so hard to track this down.

Spring, have you tried installing different versions of the JDK to see if that helped?

#225186 Reply

Sprint-TX

I have installed only the Sun released JVM’s (1.4.2 and 1.5). I do use 1.3.1_15 for use with Tomcat since the target system is using that, but not as the jvm eclipse uses for launching (1.4.2).

#225210 Reply

Sprint-TX

Is there a way that I can go back to 3.8.3 GA until this is resolved? How do I get an earlier release?

#225211 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Under the download section, under the version of Eclipse you are using, click on “Previous Builds” to download an earlier release.

#225212 Reply

Sprint-TX

I hit submit before I should have. What I meant to say was “Is there a way to back down to 3.8.3 without having to remove 3.8.4 and lose all my settings for projects, etc.?”

#225214 Reply

Riyad Kalla

You’re settings and all that information is stored in your workspace, the best way to do this is to shut down MyEclipse, uninstall it (will remove MyEclipse plugins) then run the 3.8.3 installer, install it back to the same location the other one was, then edit the shortcut you use to start Eclipse and add the -clean command line parameter to it (like we’ve done before) and launch Eclipse, it should rebuild the plugin cache against the older version of MyEclipse and everything should be copasetic since MyEclipse will simply ignore the preferences that it doesn’t support in that version.

You can create a copy of your workspace before you try and of this, or simply zip it up to a backup file incase anything goes wrong.

#225215 Reply

Sprint-TX

Ok, I have removed 3.8.4 and gone back to 3.8.3. I will let you know if I run into difficulties.

#225277 Reply

Sprint-TX

Ok, here goes….

Since I have moved back down from 3.8.4 to 3.8.3 I have had NO ISSUES with the product. There is something in 3.8.4 that is causing the reverse typing, not my machine. When I upgraded, I upgraded using the Eclipse software updater (Help->Software Updates-=>Find and Install). It could be that the product update is different than if I downloaded the latest version and did a fresh install. However, this is not (in my opinion) how this should be done – the update site should be sufficient. Again, this may or may not be the cause, it is just how I did the upgrade from 3.8.3 to 3.8.4.

I would request that this issue not be closed until a resolution is found as I feel that unless a fix is developed, I will not be able to use future versions of the product.

#225279 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Spring, I thought we *tried* a totally clean install separate from your current install… did you not do this?

#225281 Reply

Sprint-TX

No, I have other things installed. The whole point of the Eclipse framework is that I should be able to have several plug-ins installed to build my environment the way I need it. To say that I need a separate “clean” environment to use your product breaks the philosophy of a modular environment. If I cannot use your product along side other products, it is useless as I have other needs for plug-ins: specificall SVN version control. Futhermore, if your product 3.8.3 works fine in my environment, then it is safe to say that there is something with 3.8.4 that is preventing this from operating properly.

#225282 Reply

Sprint-TX

Also note, you did not ask me to install into a *clean* environment, just to use the -clean switch, along with the following instructions (which I did)…

You’re settings and all that information is stored in your workspace, the best way to do this is to shut down MyEclipse, uninstall it (will remove MyEclipse plugins) then run the 3.8.3 installer, install it back to the same location the other one was, then edit the shortcut you use to start Eclipse and add the -clean command line parameter to it (like we’ve done before) and launch Eclipse, it should rebuild the plugin cache against the older version of MyEclipse and everything should be copasetic since MyEclipse will simply ignore the preferences that it doesn’t support in that version.

You can create a copy of your workspace before you try and of this, or simply zip it up to a backup file incase anything goes wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
Reply To: Problems with HTML Editor

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in