facebook

Problems with Ubuntu 14.04.1, 16.04.1 and derivates

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

pan4o
    Participant

Hi,

there are several graphical issues with MyEclipse 2016 Stable and MyEclipse 2016 CI 7 under Ubuntu 16.04.1 and equivalent Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 – so under Unity and Gnome 3.

The menus are not displayed every time complete,
    when I scroll down the code, there are display artifacts,
    and the tooltips are shown in black, so I can not read the docu.

Can You please tell me which Linux distro is most supported by MyEclipse,
    I really dont have time to reinstall my Linux only for MyEclipse.
    This issue is since months. so if you can not fix it or tell me
    a really supported Linux distro, we will switch to Idea.

Sorry but the graphics should be the last thing I am thinking about.

And please do not excuse with Eclipse – why are we paying so much money,
    if you can not fix the problems with Eclipse!!! If you always have the same problems
    like Eclipse, then I do not understand, where are the benefits compared to Idea Intellij?!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by pan4o.
    #498741 Reply

pan4o
    Participant

e.g. see screenshot

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #498751 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

pan4o,

Sorry you’re seeing these problems. Yes, it is frustrating when one’s particular Linux set up doesn’t quite work flawlessly and I’ve certainly seen GUI issues in the past with flavors of Linux. At the moment, I’m running on Linux Mint 17 with Mate and did have a problem with outsized tabs, until I switched to GTK2. It certainly seems as though GTK3 has had more than its fair share of problems when running eclipse.

It is impossible for us to test with every distribution and variant of Linux and we have to look at any issues that arise individually, though we don’t seem to get as many reported as we have sometimes done in the past.

I’d recommend trying GTK2 (and it’s always worth trying this, in the future, if there are GUI problems). This can be done by adding the following lines to the myeclipse.ini file (in the MyEclipse installation folder):

--launcher.GTK_version

Place these lines before the “-vm” line.

Please let us know how you get on.

#498752 Reply

pan4o
    Participant

Thank you for the fast support. With GTK2 you dont have problems with black tooltips?

Which Linux derivate comes with GTK2 preinstalled?

Thank you

#498754 Reply

pan4o
    Participant

And I know that is not possible to test with all Linux derivates, BUT
    please make a LIST with best known Linux distros and with such requirements like GTK2.
    This will help your users a lot!!! Or something like a list with supported Linux distros by MyEclipse. All of us know that there are toooo much Linux distros 🙂

#498877 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

pan4o,

I’m afraid that we can’t supply the information you’re looking for. I understand most/all ditros would have GTK2 available, though I guess that will not always be the case as GTK2 development has essentially ceased.

GTK3 certainly seems to have caused problems with eclipse, judging by the number of hits in the eclipse bugs database for GTK3. However, Neon has some fixes for GTK3 issues, so it will be worth checking that out when the MyEclipse 2017 stream becomes available (perhaps this month), as that is based on Neon.

Regarding the black tool tips, I don’t see that issue myself on Linux Mint 17 or Ubuntu 14.04. Could you perhaps try another (non-dark) theme or a fresh workspace?

#499415 Reply

pan4o
    Participant

Hi,

when I look at the start arguments for the MyEclipse process. I can not find this launcher.GTK_version parameter ….

I tried also putting these 2 lines before -vm, same problem.

kur 13387 13385 55 13:30 ? 00:01:02 /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI//binary/com.sun.java.jdk8.linux.x86_64_1.8.0.u66/bin/java -Xmx1024m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m -Dosgi.nls.warnings=ignore -jar /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -showsplash -launcher /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI/myeclipse -name Myeclipse –launcher.library /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.300.v20150602-1417/eclipse_1612.so -startup /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar –launcher.appendVmargs -exitdata 1630005 -install /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI -vm /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI//binary/com.sun.java.jdk8.linux.x86_64_1.8.0.u66/bin/java -vmargs -Xmx1024m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m -Dosgi.nls.warnings=ignore -jar /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar

=============================================================================================
    this is my current ini:
    #ansi (do not remove)
    -startup
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar
    –launcher.library
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.300.v20150602-1417
    -vm
    binary/com.sun.java.jdk8.linux.x86_64_1.8.0.u66/bin/java
    -install
    /home/kur/MyEclipse 2016 CI
    –launcher.GTK_version
    –launcher.appendVmargs
    -vmargs
    -Xmx1024m
    -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m
    -Dosgi.nls.warnings=ignore

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by pan4o.
    #499495 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

pan4o,

This is a standard eclipse setting, though I’m not sure why it doesn’t show up in the start arguments you list. However, you can determine the version of GTK by going to Help->About MyEclipse Workbench and then click the Installation Details and go to the Configuration tab. There isn’t a search facility in there but there is a Copy to Clipboard button which you can use to copy/paste into a text editor for searching. Search for the setting “org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.version”. It should start with “2.” for GTK2 and with “3.” for GTK3.

Your myeclipse.ini file looks fine, the extra lines have to be before -vmargs.

Hope this helps; let us know if you’re still having problems.

#499500 Reply

pan4o
    Participant

Hi, thank you very much for your support. Now Eclipse runs much more smoothly.

My only one wish is still, that Genuitec makes a list with supported OSs. That will help really a lot!! I think this is something common for each software house – every software has such a list!!

Thank you.

#499639 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

pan4o,

Good to hear that MyEclipse is running more smoothly for you.

Regarding supported OSs, we support MyEclipse on Windows, Mac and Linux. We can only fully test on some Linux distributions but will definitely try to help with any versions of any of those platforms, as best we can. Of course, MyEclipse is based on eclipse and so supports any OS that is supported by eclipse. The eclipse developers have been doing some work on better GTK3 support so, hopefully, we’ll see more robust releases for that in the future.

Thanks for working with MyEclipse.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Problems with Ubuntu 14.04.1, 16.04.1 and derivates

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in