facebook

Pulse/proxy problem trying to install from remote site

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ernestz

I am trying to install the latest Myln package from their update site, but, after adding the remote site URL and and selecting the components, MyEclipse/Pulse starts downloading the components and continuously prompts me for proxy information with a “Authenticate to NTLM Proxy” dialog box. When I start the download, there are multiple dialogs opened at one and they just keep popping up. The only thing I can do is to close each as more popup. At one point, I entered my username/password/domain and checked the “Save credentials” check box, but it made no difference.

I am behind a proxy and have the “General -> Network Connections” proxy configured properly. Under “Pulse -> Network Settings”, I have enabled “Use proxy server” and entered the same proxy information as “General -> Network Connections” (not sure why I have specify same configuration in two places). I also have “Communications Mode” to “Maximum compatibility (recommended for NTLM proxies)”. Also “Concurrent downloads” is set to “4. Standard Utilization”.

Installation Details:

*** Date: 
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:11:54 PM CDT

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1.0
    Java version=1.6.0_13

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 7.5
    Build id: 7.5-20090609

*** Eclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 7.5
    Build id: 7.5-20090609

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Version: 3.4.2.R342_v20090122-7T7U1E9imVKz-A8Vz-p_jRS
    Build id: M20080703-0800

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.4.2.R342_v20090122-9I96EiWElHi8lheoJKJIvhM3JfVsYbRrgVIWL
    Build id: M20090211-1700

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework GEF

Version: 3.4.2.v20090218-1145-67728084A56B4I233613552
    Build id: 200809101400

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.4.200.R342_v20090122-989JESTEbig-SVaL8UJHcYBr4A63

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.4.2.r342_v20081217-7o7tEAoEEDWEm5HTrKn-svO4BbDI

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.5\myeclipse.exe
    -name
    Myeclipse
    --launcher.library
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.5\../Common\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.101.R34x_v20080731\eclipse_1115.dll
    -startup
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.5\../Common\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.101.R34x_v20081125.jar
    -configuration
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.5\configuration
    -vm
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\Common\binary\com.sun.java.jdk.win32.x86_1.6.0.013\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

#301719 Reply

support-joy

ernestz,

Thank you for providing your installation details. I will escalate this to a dev team member. They will get back to you shortly.
    Sorry for the inconvinience.

#301743 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ernestz,

This is a known bug with our change in underlying HTTP connection code, the fix is really easy though. Just shut down MyEclipse, go to the MyEclipse install dir, open the .ini file and add the following argument *after* the -vmargs argument:

-Dcom.genuitec.pulse.client.http.library.id=com.genuitec.pulse2.common.http.oakland.communicationsLibrary

Then restart MyEclipse, that will use the older connection library and will stop reprompting you for *every* HTTP connection requiring auth.

#301750 Reply

ernestz

I did more testing after posting the problem report and found that setting the “Pulse->Network Settings -> Communications Mode” to Native Java network connectivity (experimental fallback)” fixed my problem for the time being and allowed me to do my updates.

Is this change to the .INI file documented any where in the release notes, FAQs?

I don’t understand why the standard/working Eclipse proxy configuration works ** and has worked in the past ** and, why, now, I have to fuss with and test separate Pulse proxy configurations. Why not configure and use one proxy subsystem?

#301799 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ernestz,

Glad the communications mode change fixed it for you. This is not documented in any FAQ yet as it’s a bug we are going to fix in a patch release of Pulse here shortly and it doesn’t effect everyone.

I don’t understand why the standard/working Eclipse proxy configuration works ** and has worked in the past ** and, why, now, I have to fuss with and test separate Pulse proxy configurations. Why not configure and use one proxy subsystem?

Eclipse, JDK and our own HTTP libs don’t work in every situation. None of them work 100%. For example JDK and Eclipse seem to fall all over themselves in some NTLM’ed proxy environments while our HTTP libs work great, and visa versa in other environments.

It’s honestly amazing how many different network configurations are out there and how a perfectly good comm lib will fail horribly in the same environment another works fine it.

We’ve included all 3, and a UI to adjust the settings, to try and provide options to folks running into problems. It sounds like using the JDK comm layer works best for you for now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Pulse/proxy problem trying to install from remote site

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in