facebook

Select stored procedure option not showing in Data Set Type

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. MyEclipse Reports
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

jbain

I am new to MyEclipse and have done my research looking for any means to call a stored procedue in Oracle.

I am currently using MyEclipse 8.6.1 and have even downloaded and configured MyEclipse 9.0 M2 to see if the functionality allowing me to choose the SQL Stored Procedure Query as an elibile data set type but it does not.

In my research I have downloaded Eclipse 3.3.2 with the BIRT 2.2.2 plugin the option to choose SQL Stored Procedure Query is there and it woks great. However, we are not using that tool.

Why would this functionality be there in an old version of Eclipse and when I am using MyEcllipse 9.0 M2 with an Eclipse Engine 3.6.1 the functionality is not there.

I have tried to get around this by configuring the Oracle OCI driver in MyEclipse (thinking that it would run native Oracle SQL server side) and it configured successfully but the Data Set functionality will still not allow me to call the function I created even within a SQL statement. It is as if it can not see the function.

If you can direct me in any way I would greatly appreciate it.

Take care,

John

#314558 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

John,

I wanted to reply just so you knew you weren’t being ignored. It’s just taking a little time for some infrastructure setup with Oracle and all to be able for someone to dig into your question well. But, we are working on it. What we’re going to investigate is that when creating a new Reports query – MyEclipse has a custom Data Source based on ME drivers (MyEclipse JDBC Data Source). It is likely that with this data source, the data set functionality you are looking for is not available but if you change the data source type to the DTP JDBC data source then it will be.

We’ll continue to verify that but since you already have a setup working I wanted to let you know our thoughts in case you wanted to check into that yourself as well.

#314598 Reply

sofistek
    Participant

As I have Oracle installed and both MyEclipse and standard eclipse installations, I thought I’d check this out, though I’m not very familiar with either BIRT or MyEclipse Reports.

I can confirm that the functionality is there with BIRT, using BIRT’s JDBC Data Source but not with MyEclipse reports, using the MyEclipse JDBC Data Source. I couldn’t get the OCI driver to work in MyEclipse (though I could in SQL Developer) so I couldn’t confirm that the functionality wasn’t there with OCI.

I noted this from the MyEclipse help (MyEclipse Learning Center > Web Development (AJAX, JSF, Struts, JSP, etc.) > MyEclipse Reports (Based on Eclipse BIRT) > Overview):

MyEclipse Database Explorer has long provided a superset of the Eclipse DTP project features. Therefore MyEclipse does not directly support DTP functionality. Because of this BIRT DTP JDBC datasources is not supported MyEclipse Reports.

So, it may be that this particular functionality has not been carried across from the BIRT JDBC Data Source (which is the DTP ODA JDBC Data Source). This will be confusing since elsewhere in the help (MyEclipse Learning Center > Web Development (AJAX, JSF, Struts, JSP, etc.) > MyEclipse Reports (Based on Eclipse BIRT) > Getting Started > Retrieving Data > About data sets), it does mention how to use stored procedures. However, this section is largely pulled directly from the BIRT help screens, and may not have yet been finely edited to account for all differences.

I don’t know if this helps except to confirm that the functionality is currently absent from the MyEclipse JDBC Data Source.

I haven’t used stored procedures much; can they be executed from SQL to return a results set? If so, maybe you could try that route.

#314628 Reply

sofistek
    Participant

I did some more digging, which shows how much spare time I have! 🙂

I tried using the other JDBC data source (JDBC Database Connection for Query Builder [prototype]). This was available for both BIRT and MyEclipse. However, this didn’t offer the option of selecting an SQL Stored Procedure Query data set type in ether BIRT or MyEclipse.

Next, I tried the Classic Models Inc. Sample Database data source type. It was interesting. Both BIRT and MyEclipse did offer the stored procedure data set type with this data source, although it was useless as the data source was only connecting to a sample database. However, there were some differences related to the data source. In BIRT, it is possible to edit the data source after creating it. This actually allowed me to point to my database, instead of the sample database. In MyEclipse, however, I couldn’t edit the data source as the edit window was corrupt and produced errors. There were not the same categories to select, as with BIRT; BIRT offered the BIRT JDBC Data Source, Connection Profile and Property Binding categories, whilst MyEclipse didn’t offer the Connection Profile category and gave a blank details panel for the BIRT JDBC Data Source. Also, MyEclipse produced errors both when the Edit Data Source screen came up (“Problems occurred when invoking code” for the org.eclipse.jface plugin), and selecting Property Binding then pressing OK gave another error (“Unhandled event loop exception” in org.eclipse.ui), whilst cancelling out of the edit window gave a Problem Occured dialog.

I then noticed that the New Data Source dialog had this prompt text: “Provide all the settings for a new data source, or choose a pre-defined connection profile.” which led me to think that something was missing from that dialog, since I could only choose from a list of types. When I looked at BIRT, that same dialog has an additional area below the prompt for selecting either a data source type, then entering the settings, or selecting a predefined connection profile. In BIRT, this latter option allows me to use the Sample Database profile but to modify it completely, using the BIRT JDBC data source. If this worked in MyEclipse, you might be able to select a stored procedure query when creating a data set.

It looks like the ability to select the SQL Stored Procedure Query functionality has been in BIRT since August 2005, so I would have expected the MyEclipse integration to include it. Looking further up this thread, I notice that the functionality was promised for some future version of the workbench but with no commitment given. So I thought I’d see if version 9M2 might have some improvement, since integration of BIRT 2.6 appears to be on the improvements list. However, even I don’t have time to do that now although I intend to install 9M2 soon, anyway, and will look at it then.

#314634 Reply

sofistek
    Participant

Just installed the MyEclipse development release. It still has the same errors with the New Data Source dialog (missing options) and the edit dialog when editing a <i>Classic Models</i> data source. There appears to be no way to switch to a BIRT JDBC connection.

#314647 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

All,

What great interaction. I wanted to let everyone know that we verified John and sofistek’s findings and have found that the limitation is caused by two bugs that we have filed and will target to fix for the MyEclipse 9.0 GA release. Thanks for the feedback so we could find this and get it fixed.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Select stored procedure option not showing in Data Set Type

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in