facebook

Still seeing white scrollbars (MacOS)

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

phalverson
    Participant

I installed DevStyle specifically because of the weird white scrollbars in the Eclipse Dark theme, so I was disappointed when Dark Dark didn’t seem to change that (despite the screencaps). See attached Preferences settings and resulting workbench. Is there something else I need to do to enable dark scrollbars?

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
    Version: Oxygen.3a Release (4.7.3a)
    Build id: 20180405-1200

MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #598534 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

You are absolutely correct that one benefit of DevStyle is fixing scrollbars, primarily on Windows. On Mac, you do get a well-styled scrollbar experience as long as your scrollbars are also configured to hide. You can control this behavior via Mac’s System Preferences:

Attachments:
    #598536 Reply

phalverson
    Participant

Tim, thanks so much for your prompt response. Alas, I already have scrollbar auto-hide enabled. I also just upgraded to the prerelease version, but that did not resolve the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Attachments:
    #598538 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Odd, the screenshots really look like that Eclipse was started with that option being Always.

To confirm, what version of macOS are you running currently? There is also a case for maybe 10.10 or earlier where the scrollbars don’t auto-hide. Given I see Handoff in your pref page, I can’t think that’s the case.

Automatically based on mouse or trackpad: Scroll bars are shown depending on the mouse or trackpad you’re using.

If your device allows gestures, scroll bars are hidden until you start scrolling. Otherwise, they’re visible.

Perhaps you have a device configured that doesn’t support gestures? You could try switching to the option for When Scrolling… Odd!

#598547 Reply

phalverson
    Participant

I’m running High Sierra (10.13.6), so latest and greatest. I’m using a boring logitech wireless mouse (M185).

If I change the preference to “…When scrolling”, things behave as expected, using themed scrollbars vs native. I’m not sure I want that as a system-wide behavior, though — it’s nice to have scrollbars visible as an indicator of buffer size.

Unsurprisingly, if I change it “…Always”, the white native scrollbars appear.

#598654 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

phalverson,

I’m afraid that it looks like there is not much that can be done about the issue. I see exactly the same behavior in all applications and the white background is also seen with standard eclipse themes as well as other applications. It looks like the next release of macOS does better on dark themes, so we can take a look at what more can be done, when that comes out soon.

#598655 Reply

phalverson
    Participant

No worries, sounds like it was a lot of work just getting as far as you have. Thanks for looking into it. I look forward to continued enhancements.

peter

#598707 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Thanks for the comments, Peter. I’m sure there’ll be plenty to look forward to.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Still seeing white scrollbars (MacOS)

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in