facebook

Struts Design Pane Empty [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Riyad Kalla

Buy a new computer?

No seriously… creating a new workspace is like reinstalling Windows… reinstalling Eclipse and creating a new workspace is like fdisk’ing your computer and then reinstalling Windows…

Has this never worked or is the first time ever trying this? Can you create a new test project “TestWeb1” and add Struts caps to it and try and play around with the struts-config.xml file, does it work? Do you have any other plugins installed? Are you caryying over ANYTHING from your old install to the new install? What JDK version are you using?

#219945 Reply

Thomas Trostel
    Participant

Er …. we had already tried making a new workspace. Last night I tried the same procedure on my home computer with exactly the same results. At least its consistant LOL!

Here are some more details.
    There are absolutely no other plugins installed. (zero config)

java version “1.4.2_02”
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_02-b03)

I’m not carrying anything over from a previous install that I know of. The Eclipse directory was erased completely and replaced as was the MyEclipse directory.

No errors are thrown in the log file … just nothing is displayed … nada zip zero … very strange.

#219948 Reply

Thomas Trostel
    Participant

also … perhaps this point should be mentioned again. Trying to edit any of the existing functions opens a dialog box reading “Invalid XML Detected! Please validate XML source and correct all XML validation errors.” Running the XML validator says this is a valid file. It would stand to reason that if the XML were thought invalid no graphics would be drawn. Why is the section of code which validates the XML for editing different than the code which does all the external code validation? Could that be the source of the problem?

#219955 Reply

Thomas Trostel
    Participant

Ok here are all the combinations tried so far with exactly the same results

Eclipse 3.0 + MyEclipse 3.8.1
    Eclipse 3.0 + MyEclipse 3.8.1 + updates
    Eclipse 3.0 + MyEclipse 3.8.2
    Eclipse 3.0.1 + MyEclipse 3.8.1
    Eclipse 3.0.1 + MyEclipse 3.8.1 + updates
    Eclipse 3.0.1 + MyEclipse 3.8.2

* All installs are from scratch with all directories erased
    * All installs are using a fresh testing workspace so nothing is carried forward

All installs exhibit the exact same behavior which lets you create new forms, actions, and forwards. All items show up in the text edit pane, show correctly in the outline pane. Trying to right click and edit on the edit pane produces the invalid XML modal dialog box and switching to the design view shows no output.

We’re pretty much at a loss here. There aren’t any more configuration / install combinations which are publicaly available to cycle through.

#219957 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ttrostel,
    Did you do any customization of the XML parsing libraries that ship with the JDK? Check your <JDK dir>\jre\lib\ext directory and make sure no custom parsing libs are in there? You should have 4 JARs in there, dns, ldap, sunjce and locale.

#219961 Reply

Thomas Trostel
    Participant

There could have been. I changed the SDK version from 1.4.2_03 to 1.4.2_06 (which is the latest 1.4.2x from Sun) and everything works correctly. Reinstalling 1.4.2_03 breaks it again. Thats *definately* one to remember for the next guy who has this problem … warning … small landmine here LOL.

Thanks for sticking with me. Its probably nothing you all can do anything about unless you want to slip a work around in there for the 03 subrev.

#219962 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Do me a favor, navigate to Help > About > Configuration Details, and paste the result here for us to look at.

Thx!

#219974 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Looks like the last couple of posts “crossed during submission”. Glad to hear that it was a JDK issue. Quite a puzzler. Thanks for the followup.

#219981 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thanks for catching that, I had already tied a noose to the fan and was just waiting for ttrostel to reply with “its still broken”… this sure saves me some time 😉

#219990 Reply

Thomas Trostel
    Participant

LOL! … It’s okay … we are fellow Java developers. We definately feel your pain when these things crop up so a little scouting on this end was the least we could do.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Struts Design Pane Empty [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in