facebook

Struts

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Scott Anderson
    Participant

What a great thread! Keep it up everyone. We’re all ears.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#199495 Reply

sutter2k

The key here for the templates is that they would not be so static. By being able to digest an existing class, you can create more powerful functionality in the templates.

Perhaps you could reference getter/setter method in some context objects like :
    #foreach ($prop in $selectClass.properties)
    ….. do some stuff
    #end

Also,
    By being able to auto-install new templates through the community website, you almost instantly gain access to templates for (WebWork, Struts, Maverick, hibernate, or other types of things)

re:I love struts, and I love myeclipse, I just wish I could use one to automate those tedious little steps I’d rather keep doing for the other 🙂
    Struts is okay. I often have to use it, but I am starting to perfer the simplicity of WebWork

#199499 Reply

Ivar Vasara

@tcole6 wrote:

Dare I say what about JSF integration?

hmm..

-JSF is probably the future of Java webapp development (Craig McLanahan, the creator of Struts, is the JSF spec lead and publicly states that elements of struts will be deprecated by JSF..) so obviously this is an important feature.

-IDE tool market should be large, since it’s an official spec. Already announced tools include project Rave and Websphere (and JBuilder?). Meaning there will be lots of competition..

-Spec is pretty large – support would be a *large* undertaking..

I’m all for JSF as the next big feature for myeclipse. In fact it has my vote in the poll on the homepage.. I’m just curious whether the myeclipse team has the resources to pull off such a major feature. Some companies have products that are highly specialized (ie:oxygenxml only makes an XML editor) and thus can focus on their speciality. The scope of Myeclipse is already huge, and it’s worrying that massive feature development might begin before they’ve got the basics totally polished.
    I notice that a UML editor is on the list of possible future features.. oof. TogetherJ & Rational Rose (now Borland & IBM respectively) are heavyweights in that area. Yes, they costs insane amounts of $, but it’s hard to imagine a relatively small development shop producing something that even compares. Instead on wasting time on features that suck development time, I’m hoping the focus stays on providing a nicely polished, easy to use and well integrated j2ee stack of tools. (That said, I’d be totally happy if they pulled off some wicked UML tool..)

#199503 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ivar,

You’re right, JSF is large as is UML and a lot of other items we’re looking at. And we are a relatively small shop, no doubt. But, we’re not going to be doing it alone either. In our latest newsletter we already announced that our UML partner will be Metanology. They’re rapidly completing their UML design tools and we’ll be bundling the design, but not code generation capabilities into MyEclipse sometime before the end of the year. Our other partner, Innoopract, has quite a bit of experience in GUI-based design tools and we’ll be delivering some additional capabilities from them also. For full details, please see the newsletter. We know we can’t do it alone, but fortunately we won’t have to.

And, we know we need to finish polishing up the J2EE functionalities. It’s still a very high priority here.

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Struts

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in