facebook

Support for Ruby…

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Especially with the recently announced NetBeans support and the proliferation of Ruby and Rails development, it would be nice to see support for Ruby, JRuby, and Ruby on Rails within the MyEclipse environment. At the very least, a comprehensive SNAP or set of compatible plugins at the MyEclipse update site (such as Riyad suggested in his prior post) would be beneficial to the Java/Ruby development community.

Thanks,
    -Rod

#267397 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Rod,
    I know Ruby is something we are looking at. For the users that are using Ruby and MyEclipse together, I know some are just installing RDT along side MyEclipse:
    http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/

#276728 Reply

nmdrew53

Yes, please, oh pretty please – a bundled, standard install of RoR would be most appreciated!

#281803 Reply

Ashley Eatly
    Participant

I note that the last time this thread was updated was in October 2007. It still appears that for Ruby and Ruby on Rails that we are still using aptana(radrails?) or have to pay for codegear eclipse platforms and Netbeans for decent RoR support on Windows (or Linux).
    Of course I feel that CodeGear is expensive, would rather stick with Eclipse — which means aptana (which means another subscription for supported version) or migration to Netbeans.
    Is it possible to have both Java and Ruby supported on the one ‘ide’ i.e. MyEclipse or is it better to isolate the two as I have had to continue to do?
    Any news or updates?

#281818 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Sorry I don’t have enough experience with Ruby to be able to answer that Ashley. Have you tried installing RDT though and using it with MyEclipse?

#283787 Reply

atlhotrod

This message has not been recovered.

#294556 Reply

mostekcm

I agree, it would be great if myeclipse would support Ruby

#294572 Reply

support-joy

All,

Good news, Ruby is supported by ME 7.0. Here is what you need to do.

Download RDT from http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=50233&use_mirror=jaist&filename=org.rubypeople.rdt-0.9.1.200711131528NGT.zip&82096702

The zip file contains plugin, feature and site.xml. Unzip the contents locally to a folder say c:\ruby.

There are 2 ways to add ruby to MyEclipse.

1. Copy the plugin and feature folder from c:\ruby to the local MyEclipse dropin folder(in my case it is C:\Genuitec\Profiles\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins). Restart MyEclipse.

2. From MyEclipse Menu, click on Help -> Software Updates -> Add/Remove software. This will open the Add/Remove Software Wizard. Click on [Add]. In the next screen click on [Add Local] and select the location of site.xml. In the above case site.xml is present in c:\ruby. Click on [OK]. This lists -> ruby development tools documentation and ruby development tools under Personal Sites. Select the software you want to install and Click on [Launch]. This will add Ruby to MyEclipse.

Click on Window -> Preferences to view Ruby

HTH!

Joy
    MyEclipse Support

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #298309 Reply

I followed the steps as suggested. However, I found that the [Launch] button remains disabled and I am not able to select the check-boxes against items “Ruby Integration Plugins” and “Ruby Development Tools”:

Please suggest what could be going wrong.

Thanks.
    Subrata

#298310 Reply

Please ignore my response above. I was trying both the ways instead of one as suggested… my mistake.

However, I am unable to create a project as I get the following error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/search/internal/ui/text/ResourceTransferDragAdapter
    at org.rubypeople.rdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart.initDrag(PackageExplorerPart.java:927)
    at org.rubypeople.rdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart.initDragAndDrop(PackageExplorerPart.java:915)
    at org.rubypeople.rdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart.createPartControl(PackageExplorerPart.java:595)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewReference.java:371)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReference.java:230)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:594)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:306)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewPane.setVisible(ViewPane.java:531)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PresentablePart.setVisible(PresentablePart.java:180)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.PresentablePartFolder.select(PresentablePartFolder.java:270)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.LeftToRightTabOrder.select(LeftToRightTabOrder.java:65)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.TabbedStackPresentation.selectPart(TabbedStackPresentation.java:473)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.refreshPresentationSelection(PartStack.java:1256)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.setSelection(PartStack.java:1209)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.showPart(PartStack.java:1608)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.createControl(PartStack.java:649)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.createControl(PartStack.java:576)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartSashContainer.createControl(PartSashContainer.java:568)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PerspectiveHelper.activate(PerspectiveHelper.java:271)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.onActivate(Perspective.java:964)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.setPerspective(WorkbenchPage.java:3568)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busySetPerspective(WorkbenchPage.java:1032)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$16(WorkbenchPage.java:1016)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$18.run(WorkbenchPage.java:3667)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.setPerspective(WorkbenchPage.java:3665)
    at org.eclipse.ui.wizards.newresource.BasicNewProjectResourceWizard.replaceCurrentPerspective(BasicNewProjectResourceWizard.java:379)
    at org.eclipse.ui.wizards.newresource.BasicNewProjectResourceWizard.updatePerspective(BasicNewProjectResourceWizard.java:528)
    at org.rubypeople.rdt.internal.ui.wizards.RubyProjectWizard.performFinish(RubyProjectWizard.java:75)
    at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.finishPressed(WizardDialog.java:742)
    at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:373)
    at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:624)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:228)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3823)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3422)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler$New.executeHandler(WizardHandler.java:253)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler.execute(WizardHandler.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:281)
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeCommand(HandlerService.java:169)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:247)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.CommandAction.runWithEvent(CommandAction.java:157)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.CommandAction.run(CommandAction.java:171)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.NewWizardDropDownAction.run(NewWizardDropDownAction.java:174)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:583)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:500)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$6.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:452)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3823)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3422)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2382)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2346)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2198)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:493)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:288)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:488)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)

Thanks.
    Subrata

#298336 Reply

support-joy

Subrata,

I need to understand your current configuration. Can you answer few questions for me –
    1. Can you copy and paste your installation detail? You can get it from MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Detail?
    2. How did you install MyEclipse meaning – using all-in-one installer, using pulse, using eclipse 3.4.1 and adding myeclipse plugin?
    3. Can you check if the version of 3rd party plugin installed is compatible with that of your base eclipse? If you have ME 7.1.1, it is based on Eclipse 3.4.1.
    4. How did you install Ruby?

I would suggest you to crosspost to ruby forums to get more help.

#302053 Reply

You can resolve this by adding this site to your update sites http://update.aptana.com/install/rails/3.2/ and simply leaving only the Ruby Development Tools checkbox selected when updating MyEclipse. (I did this in MyEclipse 7.5)

#302058 Reply

support-joy

youngApprentice,

Thank you for sharing your notes with us.

#304941 Reply

#304949 Reply

support-joy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Support for Ruby…

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in