facebook

There is no way to turn off " Update JSP Index "

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

dres1011

I swear I have tried everything. I know it used to break in 3.8.1. It is not breaking only unable to turn it off. I am using 3.8.2 on winxp downloaded yesterday.

This is making your product completely unusable since it runs this process every time I save any file at all. Yes, JSP validation is off in my preferences. Your product and support has been great up to this point. But I have seen this issue since 3.8.1 Beta and still it has not been addressed.

#216952 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Did you post this after it got working in the other thread, or is it happening again even with the quick fix applied?

#217017 Reply

mogarick

hi, i’d like to know wich thread are you refering to, because i’m having the same problem with my 3.8.2 installation. I have Eclipse 3.0.1 and i’m wasting a lot of time because of the Update JSP Index. i have disabled all validation in the preferences Dialog, including HTML, XML, etc.

Thanks in Advance

Ricardo Montoya

#217018 Reply

dres1011
    #217021 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ricardo,
    Please email support@genuitec.com, refer to the thread that dres gives below and write in the email that you would liek to try the quickfix for the “JSP Indexer on Large projects taking forever”. They will know which quickfix to hook you up with.

#217027 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

The quickfix archive for the JSP indexer issue is located at:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/products/eworkbench/prereleases/3.8.2-QuickFix-20041004.zip

This quickfix corrects the following bugs:
    ID Summary
    1062 JS Editor ignores read-only flag on files after 3 keystrokes
    1067 UnsupportedOperationException in JS Editor
    1085 Refactoring operations in workspaces with LARGE (1500 JSP…

Instructions for Installing:
    1) Download the zip file
    2) Unzip the file to your MyEclipse directory (for example, I have
    MyEclipse installed at C:\Java\myeclipse_030802, so I would unzip this
    file INTO that directory). Be sure that your extraction method only
    overwrites the files contained in the zip and does not simply replace
    each complete directory. For example, the default extraction of WinZip
    will behave properly and is the recommended extraction technique.
    3) The zip file contains the eclipse dir and will prompt you to
    overwrite certain files, say “All” and overwrite all the files contained in
    the zip.
    4) Restart Eclipse

** If you were not prompted to overwrite files, you likely didn’t
    unzip the file to the correct location. **

#217193 Reply

Guy Tuberson

@support-scott wrote:

The quickfix archive for the JSP indexer issue is located at:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/products/eworkbench/prereleases/3.8.2-QuickFix-20041004.zip

This quickfix corrects the following bugs:
    ID Summary
    1062 JS Editor ignores read-only flag on files after 3 keystrokes
    1067 UnsupportedOperationException in JS Editor
    1085 Refactoring operations in workspaces with LARGE (1500 JSP…

I’m using Eclipse 3.0.1, MyEclipse 3.8.2 w/ the quick fix and I’m still having performance problems with eclipse when building the workspace, usually when it is processing the JSP files. Also, I am having problems with Eclipse locking up when opening a jsp after starting and stopping the application server several times.

I have turned off the JSP validation to see if this could fix the problem, but to no avail.

MyEclipse 3.8.2 has fixed the CPU usage and Memory Usage issues and the QuickFix has fixed the Jsp Index operation.

Please help.

#217196 Reply

Riyad Kalla

1) Compiling the JSP pages takes a while, about 1-2 seconds per file. We can’t really trim this down anymore, its an expensive process (JSP > Jasper2 > Servlet Code > javac > class file)

When you say “locking up” please explain in more detail the behavior… it pauses? your computer locks up? your CPU is pegged? what does the JSP page look like? How many times can you close/open the file before this happens? What are your vmarguments to eclipse when you launch it? When is the next leap year? etc…

#217494 Reply

jimisola

I got in contact with the OutOfMemory bug when trying to do a refactoring (Refactor -> Move) of a class.
    Suspected MyEclispse, saw the QuickFix and applied it (JSP compilation was off already).

However, the problemstill remains. So, I changed name of the MyEclipse catalog (I installed the plugin outside of my Eclipse installation dir luckily) and the refactoring works as expected. So, I went back and tried changing the memory options:

No success with: eclipse -data ~/workspaces/project1 -vmargs -Xmx384M

Can I verify that my memory option(s) are used correctly? The MyEclipse -> Garbage Collection said that I had 64MB (13MB was available). Does not seem right…

So, I tried with the tip from user ‘Naga’ in another thread:

-Xms256M -Xmx256M -XX:MaxPermSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:SurvivorRatio=8

Still no success.

Why is Eclipse getting out of memory when MyEclipse w/ QuickFix is active and JSP completion is off?

Let me know if I can provide any log or similar information.

Regards,
    Jimisola

#217498 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jimisola, try and remove your -data argument and just select the workspace manually when Eclipse starts up… I wonder if the -vmargs has to come before the -data argument.

#217501 Reply

Guy Tuberson

@support-rkalla wrote:

1) Compiling the JSP pages takes a while, about 1-2 seconds per file. We can’t really trim this down anymore, its an expensive process (JSP > Jasper2 > Servlet Code > javac > class file)

I’m seeing somewhere around 9-10 second complie time per file.

@support-rkalla wrote:

When you say “locking up” please explain in more detail the behavior… it pauses? your computer locks up? your CPU is pegged? what does the JSP page look like? How many times can you close/open the file before this happens? What are your vmarguments to eclipse when you launch it? When is the next leap year? etc…

In certain situations, where a rebuild of the project occurs, for example, refactoring a package name, eclipse pops up a dialog box waiting for the rebuild process to complete before you can do anything else. This made it to appear that eclipse has locked up, because it could take 10-12 mins to compile all of the JSP pages (about 75 jsp pages). In other situation, when there is no dialog that pops up and you can continue to work, the eclipse IDE pauses a bit or acts really slugish during the JSP compilation. I’m use to making a change to a file then saving the change right away (make change, save change, make change, save change), I can not do this while editing a jsp, I have to make all my changes then save and then wait for the compilation process to complete. My eclipse vmarguments are -Xms128m -Xmx128m. The next leap year is in 2008.

Does it make a difference that all of the JSP pages are fragments? Out of the 75 jsp pages about 3 or 4 are complete JSP pages and all of the rest are JSP fragments for Struts tiles. I read somewhere that I should use .jspf extention for the Jsp fragments.

Thank you for your time.

#217503 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I’m seeing somewhere around 9-10 second complie time per file.

What are your computer specs and OS? How big is the JSP page? Is it extremely dynamic? (includes) or pretty standard?

I read somewhere that I should use .jspf extention for the Jsp fragments.

Yes, definately use the jspf extension for fragments (defined as a portion of a JSP page that cannot stand on its own as a valid JSP page).

I’m use to making a change to a file then saving the change right away (make change, save change, make change, save change), I can not do this while editing a jsp, I have to make all my changes then save and then wait for the compilation process to complete

I’m wondering if this is the JSP Indexer issue that we just fixed recently with a quickfix, can you try and apply this fix: http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-4223-highlight-myeclipsequickfix20041004+zip.html

and see if the problem clears up? Other people doing refactoring had major issues with large projects before this quickfix as well, but afterwards things are much better from what we hear.

#217530 Reply

Guy Tuberson

What are your computer specs and OS? How big is the JSP page? Is it extremely dynamic? (includes) or pretty standard?

CPU: 2.4 Pentium 4
    Memory: 512 mb

The JSP page is 190 lines and very dynamic. The page displays a dynamical generated search criteria form and then also uses display tag for displaying the search results in the same page. I have several pages that have a similar setup.

Yes, definately use the jspf extension for fragments (defined as a portion of a JSP page that cannot stand on its own as a valid JSP page).

Do I lose any benefits by switching the file extention to from *.jsp to *.jspf? For example setting break points or priview or validation. I noticed by switching the file extention, MyEclipse no longer trys to compile the page.

I’m wondering if this is the JSP Indexer issue that we just fixed recently with a quickfix, can you try and apply this fix: http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-4223-highlight-myeclipsequickfix20041004+zip.html
    and see if the problem clears up? Other people doing refactoring had major issues with large projects before this quickfix as well, but afterwards things are much better from what we hear.

I have already applied the quick fix and it did fix the JSP Indexer issue.

Thanks again for your time and sorry for piece mailing the information to you.

#217531 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Actually the JSPF extension is for JSP pages that *cannot* stand on their own as valid JSP pages (meaning they compiler with errors because not all the variables or pieces of the page are correct), if your pages ARE actually valid JSP pages that you are including in other JSP pages, then using “.jsp” is fine…

Your specs and page size sound perfectly reasonable… (actually they are MY computer specs) and saving/validating a JSP page takes around 1 second on my machine, but my pages are tiles and aren’t include-heavy… but they DO have a lot of tags in them, which shouldn’t effect compilation time that much… but Jasper2 will need to do the translation…

is there anyway you can create a small sample test project that exhibits this behavior and email it to us so we can test it? support@genuitec.com

#217559 Reply

rpoyau

Myeclipse – 3.8.2+jsp quick fix – is totally useless for editing jsps….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Reply To: There is no way to turn off " Update JSP Index "

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in