facebook

Tomcat 5 + JBoss 3.2.4 JSP debugging support [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

myoungstrom

It appears that JBoss will be moving from Tomcat 4 to Tomcat 5 as it’s default Web server in 3.2.4. I downloaded a nightly of 3.2.4 RC1 with tomcat 5 and tried debugging jsps. It failed in several different ways. I’d love to send a project full of tests for all of the bugs that I’ve found trying it out if that would be useful. If so who should I send them to?

Mike

#203557 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

You can send it to support@genuitec.com, and please be sure to reference this thread. But, before you do, how about telling us what you ran into so we can see if the problem is simply configuration. We’ve actually had several users integrate Tomcat 5 manually into JBoss 3.2 and they’ve reported a lot of success with debugging JSP’s.

#203590 Reply

myoungstrom

I typed a big message but my session expired so here is the trimmed down version. 🙂

1. Spuratic behavious if 2 .jsp files have the same name in different directories. When a breakpoint is hit in one sometimes the other .jsp will be opened to step through. Tomcat 5 does not have this problem.

2. Debugging of .jsp files located in the /WEB-INF when accessed through a struts action doesn’t work. Tomcat 5 does not have this problem.

3. I was experienceing a problem where breakpoints weren’t being hit but it suddenly started working so it may be an SUE I’ll have to investigate further.

Do those sound like issued you’d like me to explore further and provide testcases for?

Mike

#203619 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

1. Spuratic behavious if 2 .jsp files have the same name in different directories. When a breakpoint is hit in one sometimes the other .jsp will be opened to step through. Tomcat 5 does not have this problem.

This is a known problem if both JSP files have breakpoints in them because the remote JVM sometimes can’t provide enough information to fully disambiguate the references. Removing the breakpoints from the page you’re not actively debugging should clear this up.

2. Debugging of .jsp files located in the /WEB-INF when accessed through a struts action doesn’t work. Tomcat 5 does not have this problem.

Interesting. I don’t know why the JBoss tie-in would cause an issue there at all.

Do those sound like issued you’d like me to explore further and provide testcases for?

We’re always interested in reproducable test cases that break our stuff. Seriously.

By the way, there is another thread where a user integrated Tomcat 5 into JBoss manually here, if it helps in any way: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/using-tomcat-5-with-jboss-3-2-x-closed/
    It’s marked as ‘Sticky’ so it’s at the top of the support forum.

#203629 Reply

myoungstrom

Thanks for the reply. I looked through the thread and applied the advice they suggested.

While investigating further I discovered that the root of all my problems may be that I can’t seem to debug any .jsp that aren’t located in the root of the WebRoot.

That one problem could be the source of all 3 of the problems I listed above.

1. If I create a structure like the following:
    /test.jsp
    /foo/test.jsp

I put a break point in /foo/test.jsp and then hit /test.jsp a break is registered and /foo/test.jsp is opened to debug/stepthrough.

2. Probably wasn’t working because the .jsp wasn’t located in the root of the WebRoot.

3. I must have been trying to hit a jsp not in the WebRoot and then found it suddenly start working when I started to hit files located in the WebRoot.

Are you able to duplicate this general behavior of not being able to debug .jsps not in the root of the WebRoot? Or do you think it is some other problem?

I tried the above tests on both JBoss 3.2.3 with Tomcat 5.0.16 and JBoss 3.2.4RC1 with Tomcat 5.0.19

Mike

P.S. Let me note again that all of the above items work perfectly with Tomcat 5 standalone.

#203635 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

The short answer is I don’t know. We haven’t done any internal testing on Tomcat + JBoss 3.2. All debugging seems to work fine on Tomcat standalone, as you’ve found. Is the Tomcat 5 / JBoss 3.2.3 bundle available directly from JBoss or did you have to “craft” it? If it’s a supported download, we can probably begin testing on it internally.

#203636 Reply

myoungstrom

JBoss 3.2.3 comes with a “preview” of tomcat 5 support. Here are the change notes. Look at the first bullet for instructions on enabling Tomcat 5 support for 3.2.3:
    http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=20433&group_id=22866

I also downloaded a nightly of 3.2.4RC1 and it has Tomcat 5.0.19 as the default web container so it appears that starting with 3.2.4 Tomcat 5 will be the default web container.

JBoss 3.2.3 and the 3.2.4 preview experience the exact same problem with jsp debugging so I’m thinking the problem won’t fix itself with 3.2.4 final. Unfortunately I have no idea if the problem is with JBoss or ME. However, if you guys could dig in a bit and investigate if the problem is with JBoss then perhaps JBoss could get a fix in before 3.2.4 final and if the problem is with ME then you guys can fix the bug and have support for jsp debugging with JBoss ready with the release of 3.2.4. Anyway, something to think about.

Is there anything I can do to help?

Mike

#203646 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Mike you have been very help and patient, we appreciate it. Hopefully we can download the nightlies and take a look and see what we find.

#203711 Reply

myoungstrom

Thanks for the committment to look into this issue. However, it sounds for now to be a rather informal investigation. Would I be asking too much for this to be submitted as an official bug/issue to be looked into? I don’t want it to be lost and forgotten. I’ve been trying to get JSP debugging support in JBoss for a long time. 🙂

Mike

#203716 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

I logged it as a priority 1 enhancement request against 2.7RC2. That means that it will at least be investigated and commented on before 2.7 can go GA.

#203725 Reply

myoungstrom

That’s great news scott thanks tons. Please let me know if I can be any help at all.

Mike

#203799 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

Actually, if you can give me the direct URL to the 3.2.4 / Tomcat 5 distribution, that would help alot. Also, any kind of special config and install instructions to get the sucker up and running. And, I’m definately not building anything from sources, so don’t even go there. 🙂

#203801 Reply

Riyad Kalla

<stops typing out cvsroot to JBoss> … well hell…

#203808 Reply

myoungstrom

Here is the link:

http://jboss.sourceforge.net/snapshots/jboss-3.2-snapshot.tar.gz

Unfortunately it is source but it is waaaayyyy….easy to build no libraries to download and nothing to configure. 🙂 I provide 6 simple steps below. If you don’t want to give it a try then just reply with an email address where I can send a link to a build.

1. Download from link above.
    2. Uncompress the archive.
    3. Go to /build directory in the extracted archive.
    4. Execute build.bat or build.sh no commandline arguments needed.
    5. Wait for build to finish.
    6. Build is located in /build/output/jboss-3.2.4RC1

The “default” server of the build has Tomcat 5 already set up as the web container and you’re all set.

Thanks,
    Mike

#203844 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

Well, that sounds simple enough. I’ll give it a shot and let you know how it goes with the testing or if I have any problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Tomcat 5 + JBoss 3.2.4 JSP debugging support [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in