facebook

Tomcat/IDE hangs when break point is set [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Wayne Kidd

Is this a JDK vs. JRE problem (all eclipse installs default to JRE for the default JVM). This is so annoying to new users that I am surprised that eclipse does not fix this somehow.

Wayne

#196877 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I am having the same problem with WebLogic. 7. I saw the following in my log:
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
    ……
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.builder.DeploymentDescriptorValidat……

By the way, this exception is caused by trying to load the DTD for validating your deployment descriptor and not being able to get a network connection to download the DTD to do so.

In the GA release, we allow you to turn off validation, which is handy if you’re not on a network.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196878 Reply

mstamp

@scott wrote:

That’s peculiar. I do notice from the log entry that you’re using 1.4.0_01. These older JDK 1.4 versions had problems with their debugging implementations. Would you mind installing 1.4.1_03 and then try launching and debugging both a “regular” java application and a server application with MyEclipse installed and see if the results are different. Remember, you’ll have to add the new JDK to the workspace and modify it in the launch configuration for the “regular” app and on the [appserver]/JDK page for the server connector.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

That fixed it! Installed 1.4.1_03 and debugging works for both servlet and non-server classes, and using Tomcat 5.0.4 or WebLogic Server 8.1.

Thanks!

Now for the bad news: I can’t debug into a JSP – in fact, I can’t even set a breakpoint in the code (there’s no “Add Breakpoint” option in the right-click menu on the margin, nor in the “Run” menu). Any ideas?

Thanks again
    mstamp

#196879 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

First, glad to hear the JDK changed shaped everything up. Those early JDK’s were very iffy.

Now for the bad news: I can’t debug into a JSP – in fact, I can’t even set a breakpoint in the code (there’s no “Add Breakpoint” option in the right-click menu on the margin

The most likely cause of this is that you’re not using our JSP editor to open the JSP file. In our editor, you can either double-click in the left margin of the JSP page or right-click in the left margin and select “Add breakpoint…” from the context menu.

To ensure that our editor is the default for your JSP pages, navigate to Window->Preferences->Workbench->File Associations… and select *.jsp. Set MyEclipse JSP Editor to the default and you should be good to go.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196888 Reply

mstamp

@scott wrote:

To ensure that our editor is the default for your JSP pages, navigate to Window->Preferences->Workbench->File Associations… and select *.jsp. Set MyEclipse JSP Editor to the default and you should be good to go.

Checked the File Associations, and MyEclipse JSP Editor is the default editor.

mstamp

#196894 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Just because it’s the default doesn’t mean it will be the editor that will be opened. It depends on what editor you used last time. The myEclipse editor should show a <J> icon at the top of it. Do you see it there? If so, I can’t imagine why you can’t set a breakpoint.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196978 Reply

srau

Just fyi … this happens if your webapp does not shut down correctly. (we had some threads which never went away) Now if you click on start tomcat, a new instance gets started and you will never be able to debug the new instance since the old instance is still hanging around.

This can be fixed by making sure that all previous instances are removed from the IDE. Or MyEclipse can somehow detect that a previous instance of tomcat is still running and does not start a new one.

#196979 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

It’s good to hear that you’ve determined what the issue is and thank you very much for posting an update so others can benefit from the information.

Or MyEclipse can somehow detect that a previous instance of tomcat is still running and does not start a new one.

That would be a little tough since each of the servers can still be configured externally to MyEclipse so you could specify any port number to run it on. We can tell if we launched it and you didn’t use our ‘Stop’ to shut it down, but we couldn’t detect if you killed it with the Eclipse debugger or the taskmanager. As a result, the detection would become problematic. Good idea though.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Tomcat/IDE hangs when break point is set [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in