facebook

Trouble installing CodeMix on Eclipse/STS with OS: Ubuntu 18.04/18.10

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

petre-rosioru
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve been using Webclipse from Ubuntu 16.04 and then I transitioned to CodeMix a couple of months ago on Ubuntu 18.04, everything seem to work ok, but now I’m having trouble with the engine.
    At first I was getting some JDK errors on Eclipse because of a couple glyphs or something like that but I switched from openjdk-8-jdk to oracle-8-jdk, and that seemed to calm it down.
    Next problem I ran into a problem when I installed CodeMix using the Eclipse Marketplace, then after restarting I got the error:

Process output:
    /home/<user>/.codemix/engine/codemix-engine: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I was able to solve it by installing the lib with the command:
    sudo apt install libgconf-2-4

After I got that error out of the way, I hit a wall at this one:

Exit value: 139

Process output:

And yea, not getting any output which is strange.
    I wanted to get my hands dirty and check some logs, but I was able to search only this log:

$ cat ~/eclipse-workspace/.metadata/.log
    !SESSION 2018-11-10 03:09:22.760 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=4.9.0.I20180906-0745
    java.version=1.8.0_191
    java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
    Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

!ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.code.ui 1 0 2018-11-10 03:09:27.678
    !MESSAGE CodeMix Engine will be started momentarily to support development activities

!ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.code.core 1 0 2018-11-10 03:09:33.395
    !MESSAGE CodeMix Engine engine has been started

!ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.code.core 4 0 2018-11-10 03:09:33.522
    !MESSAGE CodeMix Engine Process has ended unexpectedly [139]:

I guess this is why it’s stuck with the message “CodeMix Engine is starting up”.

I get the same errors on Spring Tools 4, which is also Eclipse based.
    I also tested on Ubuntu 18.10, same result.

If anyone can point me to the right logs, I’ll be glad to post them.

Thank you,
    Peter

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by petre-rosioru.
    #602567 Reply

Aaron Lara

@petre-rosioru, I’m sorry you are running into this issue. CodeMix should run without issues in Ubuntu. You can turn on a more detailed log for us by editing your eclipse.ini and adding this line after -vmargs:
    -Dcom.genuitec.eclipse.engine.log=true

A log file will be generated at your <user home>/.codemix/codemix-<date>. Can you share to us that file?

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

PS: Since it’s weekend we might not be able to respond to your messages until Monday. Thanks for your comprehension.

#602569 Reply

petre-rosioru
    Participant

TBH, I wasn’t expecting for you guys to respond this early, especially in the weekend, so thank you in advance.
    Unfortunately, logs are no different from what I displayed before:

$ cat codemix-2018-11-10-07-36-40.log 
    CodeMix Started at Sat Nov 10 07:36:40 PST 2018

Eclipse org.eclipse.platform_4.9.0.v20180906-0745 [324]
    Java 1.8.0_191 / Oracle Corporation / 1.8.0_191-b12
    Operating System Linux / 4.18.0-10-generic / amd64
    Installation file:/home/petre/kits/sts/
    User Home /home/petre
    Product org.springframework.boot.ide.branding.sts4
    Localization UTF-8 / en_US

Code Extensions
    - does not exist

2018-11-10 07:36:40: CodeMix Engine will be started momentarily to support development activities

2018-11-10 07:36:46: CodeMix Engine needs to be installed; new installation

2018-11-10 07:36:46: Extracting from fragment com.genuitec.eclipse.code.engine.linux.x86_64

2018-11-10 07:36:48: Finished extracting from fragment com.genuitec.eclipse.code.engine.linux.x86_64

2018-11-10 07:36:48: Extracting from fragment com.genuitec.eclipse.code.engine.app.linux.x86_64

2018-11-10 07:36:51: Done extracting from fragment com.genuitec.eclipse.code.engine.app.linux.x86_64

2018-11-10 07:36:51: Initializing CodeMix Engine's settings file at /home/petre/eclipse-workspace/.metadata/codemix.code-workspace

2018-11-10 07:36:51: CodeMix Engine engine has been started

2018-11-10 07:36:51: CodeMix Engine Process has ended unexpectedly [139]: 

Important:
    I am running Ubuntu 18.10 in a virtual machine with VMware Workstation Player version 15.0.0 build-10134415. I don’t actually know if this might be a problem, but I felt that it’s important to mention.

Thank you,
    Peter

#602619 Reply

support-swapna

Peter,

Thank you for sharing the log and the details.

Can you please try starting the CodeMix engine outside of Eclipse/STS and share with us the output? Open the command prompt and run ~/.codemix/engine/bin/codemix-engine.

There seems to be a known problem on Ubuntu 18.10 due to the libc6 package version (2.28) that is also causing VSCode fail to launch. (https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/51917).

As a workaround, while we investigate a possible fix, you can try downgrading libc6 to version libc6.2.27-3ubuntu1 and see if it helps. You can try either:

sudo apt-get install libc6=2.27-3ubuntu1
    or
    sudo aptitude install libc6=2.27-3ubuntu1

Please let us know if the workaround helps.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#602660 Reply

petre-rosioru
    Participant

Hello @support-swapna,

I’ve ran the codemix engine, like you said, here is the log:

petre@ubuntu:~/.codemix/engine/bin$ ./codemix-engine 
    ./codemix-engine: line 35: 14278 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ELECTRON_RUN_AS_NODE=1 "$ELECTRON" "$CLI" "$@"

I tried reinstalling to the libc6=2.27-3ubuntu1 but apparently it’s not registered in the Cosmic Cuttlefish repo, si I tried downloading libc6 from https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-main-amd64/libc6_2.27-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb.html but it’s not resolving dependencies, because I get the following error:
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: versionGLIBC_2.28′ not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1)`

I tried reverting to the Bionic Beaver sources.list to see if I can pull something, but no luck:

$ sudo apt-get install -f libc6=2.27-3ubuntu1

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     libcups2 : Depends: libavahi-client3 (>= 0.6.16) but it is not going to be installed
     libgl1 : Depends: libglx0 (= 1.1.0-1) but it is not going to be installed
     util-linux : PreDepends: libsystemd0 but it is not going to be installed
                  PreDepends: libudev1 (>= 183) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

I could have tried to solve the dependencies, but because I am really tired, I had to give up.
    At the end of the day, I get it, it’s a vscode bug, but I installed vscode and seems to be working fine.
    To be honest, I’m not sure what to say at this point.

Thank you,
    Peter

#602661 Reply

jhugohr

Hello Peter,

We appreciate your effort on applying the suggestions and providing the output you are getting. As you are aware our engine is having a problem with the version of the libc6 package shipped on Ubuntu 18.10, however, on Ubuntu 18.04 should be working fine based on our tests. If you are in need to use 18.10, you need to downgrade to libc6=2.27-3ubuntu1. We found that using aptitude cmd the downgrade performs smoother, can you please try using aptitude cmd? This will show the list of additional packages that will be downgraded, but, after completion you will be ready to go.

And yes, as you mention you need ‘Bionic Beaver’ sources.list, just make sure ‘Cosmic Cuttlefish’ is not enabled.

Best Regards,
    Hugo Herrera
    CodeMix Support Team

#602810 Reply

petre-rosioru
    Participant

Hello @jhugohr,

I’ll give it a try but now I’m having problems at work because I get the error for multiple systems activated on my account. Of course, this does not stop me from running the command but I need to get a new machine up and running because I’ve been experimenting more stuff on 18.10 and I ended up deleting it because I wanted to start from scratch.
    I’ll send an email sales@genuitec.com to reset my systems, get a new machine up and running, and get back at you with some results.

Thank you,
    Peter

#602833 Reply

Hi @petre-rosioru, We will contact you privatly since it includes information about your license.

Best regards
    Oscar Grajeda

#603405 Reply

mirec-zgmail-com
    Participant

exactly same problem here.
    Anyway, you noticed “…due to the libc6 package version (2.28) that is also causing VSCode fail to launch…” however my VSCode launches and runs without issue…
    Concerning downgrading libc6 here is the result:

sudo apt install libc6=2.27-3ubuntu1
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    E: Version ‘2.27-3ubuntu1’ for ‘libc6’ was not found

#603407 Reply

ignaciom

Hey,

Thanks for reporting this, you are right this looks like an odd issue, the thing is that our CodeMix Engine is not running with the latest version of the OSS VSCode yet, right now we are working on that and this will get fixed in a near future, once we get to upgrade the base Engine version, mean while the only workaround we know about is to downgrade the libc6 library, it is not the best approach but it will get you up and running. Hopefully we’ll get the upgrade soon enough.

Best Regards
    Ignacio

#606585 Reply

Hey,

We have updated Electron to a more recent version in Codemix 2018.12.13 which fixes the “CodeMix Engine Process has ended unexpectedly” error in Ubuntu and has improved handling of missing libraries.

Cheers,
    Sal

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Trouble installing CodeMix on Eclipse/STS with OS: Ubuntu 18.04/18.10

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in