Sorry that you are seeing this issue with MyEclipse.
1) Which version of MyEclipse are you working with? Can you share your Build ID from Help > About MyEclipse Enterprise Edition > Build ID ? Also share your Operating System and version details.
2) How did you install MyEclipse ? Is it using Pulse / All-In-One installer / Archived Update site?
3) The tutorials are not updated as per the latest version of MyEclipse. So you might see some differences in the screenshots. Also you can create a new UML 2 model and not a UML 2 project. Go to File > New > Other > MyEclipse > UML > UML 2 Model. Alternatively you can click on the blue box in the Tool bar for a New UML 2 model.
4) Can you please elaborate on what exactly you mean by UML 2.0 visual designer not being functional ?
5) Can you also attach a screenshot of the issue you are seeing for us to help get a visual ?
6) Can you also please check the .log file which is located at <workspace dir>/.metadata/.log for any errors of interest. If yes then paste them here for us.