facebook

Unable to compile class for JSP

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

sitomania

Hello,

My problem is when I try to visualize a JSP page I get the follow error:

SCHWERWIEGEND: Javac execption
    Unable to find a javac compiler;
    com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
    Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
    at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.compilers.CompilerAdapterFactory.getCompiler(CompilerAdapterFactory.java:139)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:835)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:682)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:395)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:460)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile…..

10.07.2003 12:53:11 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler generateClass
    SCHWERWIEGEND: Error compiling file: C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.3\work\Catalina\localhost\Cafev1\org\apache\jsp\index_jsp.java [javac] Compiling 1 source file

10.07.2003 12:53:11 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    SCHWERWIEGEND: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP….

I have installed on my system:

-Jakarta Tomcat 5.0.3
    -Coccoon 2.0.3 ( build with JDK 1.4 )
    -sdk 1,4
    -Eclipse 2.1

I can not execute any JSP because I always get this error.

I also have two more problems:

Where can I place my java beans classes so I can access then from my web project. I tried to place them under \Web-root\web-inf but they are deleted from there.

Also I good like to know if i can use cocoon with myeclipse and how to configure it.

Thanks in advance

Jesus B.

#196763 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Please see this thread: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/unable-to-find-a-javac-compiler-with-tomact-launcher/

Where can I place my java beans classes so I can access then from my web project. I tried to place them under \Web-root\web-inf but they are deleted from there.

You should place them in your web project’s source directory. They’ll automatically be compiled to WEB-INF/classes, which is where you want them to be.

Also I good like to know if i can use cocoon with myeclipse and how to configure it.

We don’t do anything to prevent you from using Cocoon, but I have no first-hand experience on configuring it. Anyone else?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196767 Reply

sitomania

@scott wrote:

Please see this thread: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/unable-to-find-a-javac-compiler-with-tomact-launcher/

You should place them in your web project’s source directory. They’ll automatically be compiled to WEB-INF/classes, which is where you want them to be.

We don’t do anything to prevent you from using Cocoon, but I have no first-hand experience on configuring it. Anyone else?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Scott,

I follow the thread but I found no solution for my problem, my tomcat JRE points to the java home directory. I try to include tools.jar and I keep getting the same error. What can I do ?

Jesus B.

#196769 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Well, the problem is definately that for whatever reason tools.jar is not on your classpath.

Open the preference page MyEclipse->AppServers->Tomcat->JDK is the configured JDK truly a full JDK, or just a JRE? Does the home directory it points to have a subdirectory called ‘jre’? What version of JDK is it (java –version)?

Now look at the MyEclipse->AppServers->Tomcat->Paths preference page. Does the fully qualified path to tools.jar show up in the ‘Append to Classpath’ box?

If that all checks out, (I hate to ask this but I will since I’ve seen it before), are you launching Tomcat using the Tomcat->Start toolbar option? Believe it or not, some people still try to use their startup script and expect it to work.

Going through all that should lead you to what’s wrong. Again, it’s definately a classpath issue so this should clear it up.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196771 Reply

sitomania

Scott,

IT WORKS, JUUUUUUJUUUUU!!! 😀

I did not set up the Append to classpath box.

I am using the SDK 1.4, is it problematic ?

Thanks for oyour help,

#196773 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

IT WORKS, JUUUUUUJUUUUU!!! 😀

Excellent! Enjoy source-level JSP debugging. 🙂

I am using the SDK 1.4, is it problematic ?

Nope, that’s what we recommend so that hotswap code replacements will work as you modify your executing java code.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Unable to compile class for JSP

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in