facebook

Unable to install DevStyle on Eclipse – Oxygen – Scala IDE

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

a678v
    Participant

I have been trying to install DevStyle plugin fruitlessly for the last three hours but I keep getting this error message “”Given how DevStyle intercepts certain components of this IDE, it is recommended to restart now. Continue with restart?” And, when I do a restart of the IDE, nothing happens and I am presented with the same error message. As seen forums, I have tried re-installing Eclipse and reinstalling DevStyle, none of this worked either.
    Are there any other alternative solutions that I can try at the moment? Thanks in advance.

#591448 Reply

Brian Fernandes

We did have a bug that exhibited exactly this behavior, but it has been fixed for a few releases now. Can you tell me what version of Eclipse you are using (specific distribution too, if you are aware), what OS, and whether this is a 32 or 64 bit install?

Finally, how are you installing DevStyle? Dragging and dropping from the marketplace into Eclipse or some other way? Did you by any chance install the Icon Designer as well?

#591460 Reply

a678v
    Participant

Here are the details:

Scala IDE build of Eclipse SDK
    Build id: 4.7.0-vfinal-2017-09-29T14:34:02Z-Typesafe
    Eclipse Standard/SDK
    Version: 4.7.0

I am using a Mac. 64 bit install.

I open the Eclipse Marketplace within Eclipse and then install the DevStyle plugin. Yes, I installed the Icon Designer as well. However, I unchecked this option and tried installing DevStyle, but the same issue persists.

#591479 Reply

a678v
    Participant

Eclipse 4.7.1 (Oxygen)
    Scala IDE 4.7.0

#591480 Reply

Brian Fernandes

I was able to replicate this issue myself – I believe the problem is specific to Scala IDE (it works with other Oxygen distributions), probably caused by the unique way in which Scala IDE modifies Eclipse, conflicting with the tech that DevStyle is using.

I’ll ask our dev team to take a closer look tomorrow and see if a simple workaround can keep you going; we’ll take a look at fixing this for our next release. Sorry I couldn’t be of more immediate help.

#591481 Reply

a678v
    Participant

Thanks so much, Brian. That’d be really helpful. Look forward to the workarounds!

#591621 Reply

a678v
    Participant

Hi Brian, were you able to check with your dev team for some workarounds?

#591633 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Aplogies, but we haven’t yet come up with a workaround but are still looking at it. Please bear with us for a little longer and, hopefully, we’ll come up with something.

#591992 Reply

Aaron Lara

We have investigated this issue and found that for some reason the weaving/runtime by Scala is stopping a DevStyle URL Handler from correctly registering causing DevStyle to fail. Unfortunately right now we cannot think on any solution or workaround for this issue but maybe someone from the Scala team has an idea.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#592010 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

a678v,

Whilst checking to see if there is anything on the Scala-IDE web site which might help, I noticed that you can install Scala-IDE from an update site, on top of a standard eclipse package. I tried this and didn’t see the problems that we were able to reproduce on the stand-alone Scala-IDE.

If you give this a try, please let us know how you get on.

#592087 Reply

a678v
    Participant

Thank you for the tip. I was able to install the Scala IDE on my existing Eclipse installation. It seems ok for now, I will keep you posted nevertheless.

#592185 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

That’s great news. Thanks for letting us know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Unable to install DevStyle on Eclipse – Oxygen – Scala IDE

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in