facebook

User defined libraries

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

innovate
    Participant

Just to add another point for user libraries. I now reference external libraries which are located in /opt on my home machine. But on my machine at work, they are located somewhere else. So I have to inlude all libraries in the project (buah) or reference to another project which includes those libraries (buah).

Since maven is your good friend, maven fetches all your libraries automatically. So we have to adjust MyEclipse features to work with maven. Here, user defined libraries comes into place. You simply have to name them in a standard way on each machine and you are done. Right?

At deploy time, maven does the real thing!

Regards,

Cyrill

#211206 Reply

No Operation

Where is the problem?

If you are able to add user defined libraries to Eclipse, why cant you do the same thing with your server?

=> no need to deploy those libraries at all

NOP

#211268 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@nop wrote:

Where is the problem?

If you are able to add user defined libraries to Eclipse, why cant you do the same thing with your server?

=> no need to deploy those libraries at all

NOP

That is not true. No need to deploy libraries such as JDBC driver, J2EE jars.

But for example, you do need to deploy Struts, and/or other libraries which rely on configuration-related stuff taking place at class loading or any libraries or frameworks which do use static variables, or otherwise rely on their being loaded in the WEB-APP class-loader and not earlier (so that they can be loaded for each web-app separately, allowing independent customization of the code).

#214240 Reply

stekell

@support-rkalla wrote:

Given that use case, I can definately see why you want this feature, its a real PIA to deploy without it. I’ll add a +1 to this in our tracker.

I also highly desire this feature which is how I found this thread.

just to add two cents….

I used to work in JDeveloper at a previous job. JDeveloper has User Defined Libraries (as many IDEs do) and allows you to pick what goes into the WAR /lib on a per library (and maybe even per jar) basis. I found this to be a crucial way to manage a large number of projects. By using this, we could have libraries in one place in CVS and one place on local drive during development and still build each project and include the libs correctly. It also simplifies starting a new project since you don’t have to copy libs around and define source and doc locations everytime. But anyway, I was total disappointed when I started working with Eclipse and there was no User Libraries. Thankfully, they added them to 3.0. Now I just need them to work with MyEclipse, otherwise they are useless to me.

So yes, it’s incorrect to assume User Libararies should not be deployed, although you need to choose on a per library basis what should be deployed.

#214243 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Update for this thread:
    I filed this a while ago with a high priority, so I believe we can address it by 3.8.3 (3.8.2 will be bug fixes and performance enhancements only).

Thank you for the feedback, it helps us focus our work.

#219328 Reply

tenjin

Hi,

I second this requirement. As a new STRUTS and Hibernate user it is a pain to see the screen filled up with jar files.

So two quick questions:

1. How do I set the filter to hide the jars in the MyEclipse package explorer?

2. Can you point me at a good resource to explain how I can tailor my environment so that I can better control what get’s deployed and what doesn’t? I’m guessing that this is a mixture of custom ANT tasks and MyEclipseIDE preferences????

Thanks

D.

#219336 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Tenjin,

In version 3.8.3 (December) we’re adding a lot more deployment configuration capabilities related to user libraries for all project types. For now:

2. Can you point me at a good resource to explain how I can tailor my environment so that I can better control what get’s deployed and what doesn’t?

It depends on the type of project, but it’s all documented in the appropriate tutorial in the Documentation section on the website. It’s accessible from the left navigation bar on this webpage under ‘Documentation’. Here’s a direct link for convenience: http://myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-67.html

1. How do I set the filter to hide the jars in the MyEclipse package explorer?

Actually, that’s an Eclipse view and the enhancement you want is an open enhancement to the Eclipse team as documented here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=42216

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: User defined libraries

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in