facebook

VERY Slow Shutdown

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

support-tony
    Keymaster

Frank,

There is no harm in pressing the Cancel button during that operation. Compacting local history is really a pruning operation, based on local history settings, rather than altering the history files. This is a base eclipse function.

The length of time might indicate that you have a very large history for that workspace. You can alter history settings via Windows->Preferences->General->Workspace->Local History. You can reduce any of the settings to limit the history space still further, which should have an impact after the first shutdown following the change. You can, alternatively, uncheck the “Limit history size” option, which will simply stop compacting the history at shutdown, though your history can then grow to the available disk space, in theory.

To check if this is the problem, you can always just rename the history folder (to effectively clear it, without getting rid of your history – a new folder will be created if you make source changes) to see the effect on your workspace shutdown. The history folder is in your workspace at .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.history. Note that you will need to rename the file back again to be able to access the history from the workbench.

Please let us know if these suggestions help.

#325908 Reply

Frank Lawlor
    Participant

The settings on my local history page are:

Days to keep files: 7
    Maximun entries per file: 50
    Maximum file size (MB): 1

I don’t know what these numbers imply, but they don’t seem large.
    I don’t understand why this one workspace takes so long to compact history.

#325921 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Frank,

Yes, those settings aren’t large and are the default settings, I think. That might be part of the problem if you do a lot of development (source changes) in that project. Did you try removing limits, as I mentioned? Please let us know how that works.

The settings refer to the number of days to keep history files (so you won’t be able to go back to versions of source files that are older than that number of days), the maximum number of versions to keep in the history for each source file and the maximum size allowed for each history file.

Local history is a base eclipse function so you might find tips on its use in eclipse documentation or web sites.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: VERY Slow Shutdown

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in