facebook

Viewing local variables while debugging EJBs in WLS 8.1

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dkolegayev

Hi,

I am running MyEclipse Workbench 2.0.3 and trying to set-up EJB debugging in WLS 8.1. I am able to set-up break points, step-through and view class variables.

Unfortunately, the local variables are not visible inside EJB methods. There is a message “local variables unavailable” next to the stopped thread if the break-point is inside EJB or inside one of the helper classes invoked by EJBs.

This only happens to EJB-related classes. I.e. methods in servlets on WLS 8.1 seems to work fine. It used to work with WebLogic 6.1 so I am not sure whether this is a configuration issue or some new interoperability bug introduced by JDK 1.4, WLS 8.1 and new Genuitec plug-in.

Has anyone else run into the same issue?

Thanks.

#196312 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

There aren’t any known issues with WLS 8.1 interoperability. The most common cause of this type of problem is caused by recompiling code prior to deployment with Ant. Often, people forget to be sure that they are compiling with debugging enabled (default is disabled) so symbolic information isn’t available. I suspect this may be what is happening in your case.

For packaging, rather than recompiling source we recommend that you simply copy the Eclipse-compiled class files into your deployment archives, which will avoid this type of thing.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196316 Reply

dkolegayev

Scott,

thanks for the prompt reply and the hint into the correct direction. I went back and made sure that the build process includes debug information everywhere properly.

The problem was with ANT. WebLogic 8.1 uses ANT 1.5 Build July 30, 2002 and we had previously used ANT 1.5 Build July 9, 2002 (21 days apart). In that time someone managed to change syntax of ANT option for JAVAC task from debug=”on” flag to debug=”true” option. So without any warning about deprecation the debug information stopped being compiled into the project.

#196317 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wow, I bet that was a tough one to spot! The problem you ran into is classic with Ant. Those guys change syntax and options on the spot, without any warning, and just expect everyone to rewrite all their scripts. There were some major differences between Ant 1.4 and 1.5 syntax that broke a lot of our scripts when we upgraded. I don’t think they’ve ever given any thought to backward compatibility.

And come on! debug=”on” vs debug=”true”? Please!

Good catch!

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Viewing local variables while debugging EJBs in WLS 8.1

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in