facebook

what’s going to be in 8.0M1 and 8.0? pls update roadmap

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Robert Varga
    Participant

Hi All from support,

As in the subject, please provide some info on what is going to be in 8.0M1 and 8.0GA 🙂

Also some rough timeframe, please 🙂

Thanks and best regards,

Robert

#299549 Reply

Loyal Water

Robert,
    Rough timeframe is M1 in July, maybe an M2 and release in September. We don’t have a finalized feature list for 8 at this time.

#299557 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

Hi Nipun,

is it going to compatible with Eclipse 3.5?

Best regards,

Robert

#299577 Reply

Robert,
    ME8 will be compatible with Eclipse 3.5

#299601 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Robert,

While we don’t have a final list for 8.0, I do that that one of the major themes is “modularity and choice”. We’ll be making MyEclipse much more modular so you can just get the features that you really need while “slimming it down” by not installing those that you don’t. Much more end-user customization will be a major theme.

Was there anything you were particularly hoping for?

#299708 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

Hi Scott,

this is not a bad one. I tend to miss the possibility of manually installing the same ME directory under multiple Eclipse versions (point releases) as an extension directory. This doesn’t seem to be possible at the moment without ripping out some things here and there (or creating a p2 link from one Eclipse installation into another).

I was also hoping for keeping the Spring tooling in ME in sync with upstream version (or even integrating or building on STS).

Nothing else comes to my mind at the moment for specific plugins.

I had a couple of things I wasn’t able to do in Eclipse, you may want to provide some feature for it:

1. Defining custom content types for which extensions and charset encoding can be specified (and possibly editors). There were a couple of file extension for which I wasn’t able to directly specify that they are to be opened as UTF-8 files. The only way I could find is to add the extension to an existing content type but that couples that file type to a possibly inappropriate content type.

2. After compilation which uses an annotation processor (Project properties > Compiler > Annotation Processing … ) the annotation processor jar file lock is retained and the annotation processor is kept loaded until restart. I don’t know if it is a ME or an Eclipse bug (it seems an Eclipse bug but there were a couple of cases where ME retained the lock on something)… still it would be good to see it solved or at least hacked around by providing a menu item making Eclipse to relinquish the lock and reload the annotation processor tooling for the project or for the entire process. This would help me immensely.

Best regards,

Robert

#299718 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Robert,

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I’ll be sure the product management team sees this.

#299933 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Rob,

As always, we appreciate the feedback. Let me address each comment:

This doesn’t seem to be possible at the moment without ripping out some things here and there (or creating a p2 link from one Eclipse installation into another).

This is a permanent Eclipse change with p2 being the core of the platform now. Our Manual Installs are as close as you will get to the old manual installs or the Archived Update Site… other than that, with or without Pulse, you have to appease the p2 gods in the Eclipse platform 😉

I was also hoping for keeping the Spring tooling in ME in sync with upstream version (or even integrating or building on STS).

STS is closed-source, so not much we can do there, but a refresh of the Tools is definitely in order. Out of curiosity is there a particular feature you are missing or you just wanting to make sure things stay fresh as possible?

#1 — Not much we can do here to help I don’t think… sounds like the perfect thing for a very focused 3rd party plugin though. If you find anything up this ally let us know.

#2 — This *might* get fixed in 3.5 JDT release and magically work in ME 8.0, not sure but historically speaking JDT file-locking has been reported ad-naseum when found and usually fixed quickly, so I’d have high hopes it was fixed by then.

#301842 Reply

Any Updates and News on the Roadmap?

Will it be possible to use (maybe separate install) the STS Suite in ME 8.0 ? That would be gerat news!

#302116 Reply

Multicert

Hello,

The STS is a must have in ME 8.0 because I’m evaluating STS and ME, and in the near feature if the two don’t work together my company have to chose one :S

We want to continue to be a costumer of ME but the problem with ME and STS are a problem to us.

Keep the good work

João Cerdeira

#302133 Reply

Loyal Water

We’re very committed to ensuring our Spring tools remain excellent. Our current set of Spring tools is a highly enhanced and integrated set that uses the lastest version of Spring IDE (SIDE) as its base. With regard to Spring Tool Suite (STS), SpringSource was originally going to keep that closed source and attempt to sell it. As I’m sure you know, they recently made the decision to make STS free of charge for use. However, they have not made STS open source at this point. As a result, we are prevented from directly integrating and enhancing STS so that operates smoothly within MyEclipse as we have done with SIDE. Naturally, we’d like to be able to ensure compatibility between the products and will do what we can, subject to the changing constraints we’re operating under, for MyEclipse 8.0 and beyond.

#302208 Reply

It was stated 8.0M1 will come out by the end of Aug or early Sept. That has passed already, is it still going to happen by the end of Sept for 8.0M1?

#302219 Reply

Loyal Water

THe ETA for 8.0M1 is around end of next week, Sept 18th about.

#302611 Reply

I guess 8.0M1 won’t come up until Oct. These guys just can’t hold the date. Maybe I should just drive up there to get a personal copy. My office is in Richardson, not far from Flower Mount where these guys are.. :):)

#302614 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Sorry about the slips guys, but when we find some of the show-stoppers during QA we just can’t let M1 out the door. The good news is that we’re actually building installers for testing for it *right now*.

we’ll get it out the door this week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: what’s going to be in 8.0M1 and 8.0? pls update roadmap

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in