facebook

Application hangs on mac with DevStyle plugins installed, but fine on Windows

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mark-edgeworth
    Participant

Hi, we’re trying to build an eclipse IDE application and would like to include the DevStyle plugins to give the product the lovely dark theme out of the box. We have managed to get this working through the standard IDE on windows, and also managed to get a product together that starts dark out of the box on Windows. However, when we try the same on a Mac our product hangs at the splash screen with the DevStyle plugins included. The little debug information I have is that it is stuck in ‘handleSplash()’.

If I try adding DevStyle through the usual update mechanism in our product I get into the well-reported cycle of devstyle requiring a restart over and over.

I have managed to get my developer IDE to be dark on the Mac, so I know this is possible. It’s just our application that doesn’t play nice. We may be doing it wrong; any pointers to how to include DevStyle would be great.
    Any clues/things we can try? I can supply config information if it would help.

Many thanks,

#574738 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mark,

Before we delve deeper, the the “devstyle restart issue” has been fixed in a recent hotfix release, 2017 CI 11a which we released on the 12th of this month.

If you are trying with this version, you should not be seeing the restart issue – if you do, let us know as I guess there’s still an issue. The problem was caused by a bug in the way the Eclipse Color Theme plugin was handled, does your configuration include that plugin?

#574769 Reply

mark-edgeworth
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the reply! I’m currently using the DevStyle plugin at version 1.11.0.201803121259. I don’t think we are using the Eclipse Color Theme at all (I looked in the plugin list and could only see the Genuitec eclipsecolourtheme.api plugin).
    My main repeatable issue is a hang at the splashscreen. That’s the one that the app is exhibiting at the moment…

#574866 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mark,

You said that if installed through update site, it works (and now should no longer exhibit restart issue). How have you added it to your product otherwise – I’m talking about the installation where it hangs at startup.

A quick thing to try would be to ensure the start levels as well as the autostart settings for the DevStyle plugins are correct. Compare the bundles.info of the normal installation with the one in your product.

#578296 Reply

mark-edgeworth
    Participant

Hi Brian,

We would like to supply the Dark Theme plugins along with the rest of the plugins for the application so that the user gets Dark without having to do any installation of his own.

We have compared the bundles.info files from a running installation on Windows; it appears that the ‘patches’ plugin needs to be auto started at run level 2 so we have added this to the config.

We have tried both this, and including these plugins manually through the debug configuration under eclipse. Both cause the system to hang at the splash screen.

We also tried adding the marketplace client to our running app and then installing the Dark theme from the marketplace. Following the restart the system once again hung-up at the splash screen.

Regarding the restart-loop issue: we have found this only occurs on the Mac if the ‘patches’ plugin run level is set to default-0 (with a log of a malformed URL). If set to autostart-2 the app hangs at the splashscreen.

So, questions:
    1. Are we permitted to supply a product with the Dark theme plugins built-in?
    1a. If so, do you have any further information on how to do this reliably?
    2. Are we missing any start level settings?
    2. Any ideas on where to go next with the splash-screen hangup?

I’d love to get this going as our users love it!

Ta,
    Mark

#578875 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mark,

I believe the problem may have something to do with the DevStyle custom startup.

As far as your other questions are concerned, do you mind writing to support@genuitec.com so we can discuss the technical issues as well as others in further detail? It would be helpful if you could provide some details about your application as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Application hangs on mac with DevStyle plugins installed, but fine on Windows

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in