facebook

can’t add struts caps to an existing project [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

andmer

I have a struts project that is pre-existing and i would like to load it into myeclipseide, everything goes fine as i import the project, I add web capabilities to it, but when i try and add struts support I get errors.

“Invalid struts 1.0 config file found.
    org.apache.commons.logging.logconfigurationException:
    java.lang.ClassnotFoundexception:
    org.easystruts.struts.config.Easystrutslogfactory:
    java.lang.ClassnotFoundexception:
    org.easystruts.struts.config.Easystrutslogfactory:

then the dialog pops up, if i try to change to a struts 1.1 app i get the same error except it says 1.1

#208987 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is a known problem that has been fixed in Beta2, what version of Eclipse and MyEclipse are you using?

#208989 Reply

andmer

ahh Beta1 as that is the latest download I see available, and 3RC2

#208990 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

This is a known configuration-specific bug that bites certain users. We will have solid fix for it in the upcoming beta-2 release.

The short term workaround is:
    1) create a parallel web project
    2) add struts capabilities to it
    3) copy over former struts project resources

#208992 Reply

andmer

when is beta-2 due?

#208996 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

We are hoping beta-2 in the next couple of weeks. Effectively beta-1 was a milestone for some key features that we wanted to get early feedback. But beta-2 will be feature complete and include quite a bit more functionality than beta-1, e.g. JSP/Struts WYSIWYG designer w/ preview, Struts Flow Modeler, DB explorer tool, Hibernate support, and JSTL support – I’m sure I’m forgetting other stuff.

#209214 Reply

big_bad_tony

Just can’t get it to work. I’ve been trying for 2 days with no success.

I’m using Eclipse 3.0 RC1 and MyEclipse 308 Beta 1. I’ve actually got it to work on my home machine, but not my work machine. I’ve tried setting up an entirely new project and adding struts support, which works fine. I copy in our existing project and then try to open the struts-config.xml and get an error – “An error has occurred when creating this editor”. Log has the following exceptions…

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.model.ModelManager.getActionConfigs(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.gef.ui.actions.ActionBarContributor.setActiveEditor(ActionBarContributor.java:133)

org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.NullPointerException)
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2691)

at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.outline.StrutsConfigOutlinePage.redrawTree(Unknown Source)

It’s all very frustrating. I’m certainly not motivated to purchase a subscription for something that I can’t actually use. Any news on Beta 2?

Tony

#209215 Reply

Riyad Kalla

It’s all very frustrating. I’m certainly not motivated to purchase a subscription for something that I can’t actually use.

I think that’s a very reasonable comment. Have you tried using our stable release with Eclipse 3.0M8 or Eclipse 2.1.3?

Beta 2 we are hoping for late next week or the following week. I know, “that sucks its taking forever”, but beta 2 is feature complete for us which means new functionality all around that has never been in MyEclipse before. We have to implement it, and test it and make a reasonable effort at fixing bugs we find before Beta 2 goes out and then you guys will start sendings us reports that we need to wrap up for GA.

If this entire 2.8/3.8 wasn’t such a big release it probably would have been out now, but MyEclipse is really start to take a big direction towards RAD tooling and extensive features, none of which are cheap to build. We only ask that you hang in there patiently.

As a last resort, if you can get things to work at work, why don’t you zip up your work install and workspace and unzip it at home and see if it works? Do you have any funky environment variable CLASSPATH values?

#209218 Reply

big_bad_tony

I haven’t tried the previous releases. I think, if the new version is not far off, I’ll wait for it. Things seem stable enough for the new project that I’m working on, they are just unusable for the existing project.

The curious thing is that the project structure is on a portable hard drive, which I’m loading when I get home. The only real difference between the two environments is that one is windows xp and the other is windows 2000. Go figure.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Tony

#209227 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Tony,
    As a last resort this is an old workaround for this problem but I’m pretty sure it won’t work… BUT lets try it anyway.

Edit your shortcut for MyEclipse, and add these arguments to it:

-vmargs -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.easystruts.struts.config.EasyStrutsLogFactory 

if you already have a vmargs flag (maybe you had some memory settings) then just add the -D argument. Then restart MyEclipse and try and add struts cap again.

#209267 Reply

big_bad_tony

Riyad,

Yep – tried that one, but it didn’t work *sob*

Thanks for your help.

Tony

#209319 Reply

big_bad_tony

WOOHOO!

Think I’ve found the problem. The directory containing the project had a period in the name – (project.online). Renamed it so that it no longer had the period and now able to add struts capabilities to the project without error! 🙂

Tony

#209320 Reply

big_bad_tony

Nup, false alarm. Tried to do it again and it all blew up. 🙁

#209334 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Tony,

It sounds like your existing project structure might be incompatibable with our expected web project layout and is thus causing the problem. I assume you first added web capabilities to the project then added Struts capabilities? Can you describe exactly what the layout looks like? Or, can you create a similar project with the content removed (leaving only descriptors and directories) and replicate the problem with that? If so, can you send us the hollowed-out project?

#209336 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Damn, if its any consolation I’m in the same position you are actually. Beta 2 should fix this up and its comming out next week so that’s good news.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
Reply To: can’t add struts caps to an existing project [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in