facebook

can’t add struts caps to an existing project [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Riyad Kalla

Scott,
    AFAIK this is the class loader (logger) problem with Struts. I’m seeing the same behavior with a fresh 3.0+3.8Beta 1 on Windows XP. I think we’ve talked/fixed/killed that bug to death by now I imagine though 🙂

#209356 Reply

kitm

I was getting the same error. (using 3.0+3.8b1) I followed Michael’s advice (I think):
    @support-michael wrote:

The short term workaround is:
    1) create a parallel web project
    2) add struts capabilities to it
    3) copy over former struts project resources

However, I didn’t want to overwrite my project’s configs so for 3) I copied only .mystrutsdata, the <nature>com.genuitec.eclipse.cross.easystruts.eclipse.easystrutsnature</nature> from .project, and *.tld and validator-rules.xml from WEB-INF from the new struts project into my own.

Now the error’s gone as is the option to add struts capabilities in the project’s MyEclipse context menu, but when I open struts-config.xml it doesn’t open in the struts editor, it opens in the generic xml editor and there’s no [source] or [flow view] tabs. What can I do to fully enable the struts features now?

Thanks!

#209357 Reply

Riyad Kalla

it opens in the generic xml editor and there’s no [source] or [flow view] tabs. What can I do to fully enable the struts features now?

If you right click on the struts-config.xml file, is there a “Open With” option of “MyEclipse Struts Editor”?

#209360 Reply

kitm

That did it! (I had to first close the existing xml-editor window displaying the file.) Will this editor now be the default for this file? (What controls the default editer setting on a per-file basis? Is it sticky to the last-used editor on that file? Will I need to explicitly select the struts editor for each struts file in other projects? Will it be different for converted projects vs new ones? )

Thanks again!

#209361 Reply

Riyad Kalla

No problem I’m glad it helped. usually the option is sticky, but you can set it via the Window > Preferences> Workbench> File Associations preference panel. Just associate the “struts-config.xml” with the “MyEclipse Struts Editor” and you’ll be all set.

#209367 Reply

kitm

One more question: On the ME features page for the Struts Editor/Modeler (http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-55.html) in the section entitled “Struts Flow View / Modeler” it shows two variants of the perspective. The lower one has the Flow View in the middle, the Outline on the right, and above the Outline there’s a small navigator pane entitled “Struts Flow Overview” that looks like it allows you to navigate the Flow diagram by sliding a view panel across a highly zoomed-out view of the diagram. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to open that navigator pane. I’ve tried right-clicking on every possible graphic/widget/component in the app. I’ve tried searching the help files. I’ve tried all the menus. I’ve tried opening/closing the Outline navigator. How do I get that “Overview” navigator to open? Is it actually in the 3.8b1 release?

Thanks.

#209373 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

The view you are referring to is the Struts Modeler Overview. To open it goto Windows menu>Show View>Other>MyEclipse>Struts Flow Overview. This will open a pannable overview in the default location of your current perspective. You can relocate this view’s location by dragging the titlebar to a new location in your workbench.

#209396 Reply

big_bad_tony

@kitm wrote:

I was getting the same error. (using 3.0+3.8b1) I followed Michael’s advice (I think):
    @support-michael wrote:

The short term workaround is:
    1) create a parallel web project
    2) add struts capabilities to it
    3) copy over former struts project resources

However, I didn’t want to overwrite my project’s configs so for 3) I copied only .mystrutsdata, the <nature>com.genuitec.eclipse.cross.easystruts.eclipse.easystrutsnature</nature> from .project, and *.tld and validator-rules.xml from WEB-INF from the new struts project into my own.

Now the error’s gone as is the option to add struts capabilities in the project’s MyEclipse context menu, but when I open struts-config.xml it doesn’t open in the struts editor, it opens in the generic xml editor and there’s no [source] or [flow view] tabs. What can I do to fully enable the struts features now?

Thanks!

I just tried this workaround. While Struts capabilities have been added, I get “Unable to create part:” “An error occurred while activating this view” and “An error occurred when creating this editor”.

Heres a bit of the stack trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.model.ModelManager.getActionConfigs(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.modeler.model.StrutsConfigDiagram.synchronizeDiagram(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.modeler.model.StrutsConfigDiagram.<init>(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.gef.ui.actions.ActionBarContributor.setActiveEditor(ActionBarContributor.java:133)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.MultiPageActionContributor.setActivePage(Unknown Source)

at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.outline.StrutsConfigOutlinePage.redrawTree(Unknown Source)
    at org.xmen.internal.ui.text.DampenedXMLStructureUpdaterPage$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)

Bring on Beta 2!

Tony

#209398 Reply

big_bad_tony

Here’s something interesting. I opened the struts-config in the default text editor and removed my forms-beans and action mappings. Closed the text editor and reopened in the my eclipse editor and the error is gone. Go figure.

#209411 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Tony,
    That is strange.

Also, the error you gave above I was also seeing and sent it in last week.

#209796 Reply

benoitw

I’m afraid this bug is still there in beta 2.

Can post my metadata .log if necessary

benoit

#209831 Reply

Riyad Kalla

benoit,
    Can you post the information we ask for in the posting guidelines at the top of this forum?

#210236 Reply

benoitw

The error message is
    “Invalid struts 1.1 config file found … ”

My struts config is correct : it is located under /WEB-INF/config
    My project has this structure :
    /MyProject
    —-/src
    —-/webapp
    ——-/WEB-INF
    ———-/config

operating system and version -> windows 2000 sp3
    Eclipse version and build id -> Version: 3.0.0 Build id: 200406251208
    Was Eclipse freshly installed for MyEclipse -> yes
    Are any other external plugins installed -> yes : lomboz, tomcat plugin
    How many plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory are like org.eclipse.pde.* -> 8
    MyEclipse version -> 3.8 beta 2
    JDK version -> 1.4.2
    What steps did you take that resulted in the issue -> i try to add struts capabilities to an existing project
    Are there any errors in the Eclipse log? (<workspace>/.metadata/.log) -> yes see below

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 juil. 13, 2004 16:40:44.432
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.core.runtime”.
    !STACK 0
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.model.ModelManager.getGlobalForwardConfigs(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.modeler.model.StrutsConfigDiagram.synchronizeDiagram(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.modeler.model.StrutsConfigDiagram.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.modeler.core.StrutsEditor.setInput(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditor.init(GraphicalEditor.java:271)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.addPage(MultiPageEditorPart.java:117)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.StrutsConfigEditor.createFlowModeler(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.StrutsConfigEditor.getAdapter(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.ui.views.contentoutline.ContentOutline.doCreatePage(ContentOutline.java:120)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.createPage(PageBookView.java:310)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.partActivated(PageBookView.java:591)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList$1.run(PartListenerList.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:615)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList.firePartActivated(PartListenerList.java:47)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.firePartActivated(WorkbenchPage.java:1371)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.setActivePart(WorkbenchPage.java:2695)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.activate(WorkbenchPage.java:457)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2215)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2134)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$6(WorkbenchPage.java:2126)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2113)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2108)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2091)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.openEditor(OpenWithMenu.java:258)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.access$0(OpenWithMenu.java:251)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu$2.handleEvent(OpenWithMenu.java:166)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2772)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2431)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:644)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:628)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 juil. 13, 2004 16:40:45.448
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.core.runtime”.
    !STACK 0
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.modeler.core.StrutsEditor.getAdapter(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.StrutsConfigEditor.getAdapter(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.actions.ZoomComboContributionItem$1.partActivated(ZoomComboContributionItem.java:74)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList$1.run(PartListenerList.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:615)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList.firePartActivated(PartListenerList.java:47)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.firePartActivated(WorkbenchPage.java:1371)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.setActivePart(WorkbenchPage.java:2695)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.activate(WorkbenchPage.java:457)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2215)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2134)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$6(WorkbenchPage.java:2126)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2113)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2108)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2091)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.openEditor(OpenWithMenu.java:258)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.access$0(OpenWithMenu.java:251)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu$2.handleEvent(OpenWithMenu.java:166)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2772)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2431)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:644)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:628)

#210237 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I am not able to reproduce this problem… can you open your struts-config.xml file in our XML editor, and right click and select Validate…. is it valid?

I tried even cutting down my struts-config.xml file to noghitn before adding Struts Caps… and it still worked (I saw in your 1st exception something about global forwatrds, so I tried removing that from my struts-config before doing it to see if I could cause the exception)…

Can you come up with a reproducable set of steps that we can do over here that will cause this problem?

#210758 Reply

nikbats

Hi all,

We are having the same problem as *benoitw*. We recently installed eclipse 3.0 and 3.8 beta 2 version of myEclipse and the error is caused by *global forwards*. This happens also in older struts projects (with the existing global forward tags) and in new projects when adding a new global forward rag.

Any help would be appreciated.
    NB

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
Reply To: can’t add struts caps to an existing project [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in