facebook

Cannot get devstyle to work with eclipse

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

apocalysque
    Participant

Version: 2018-12 (4.10.0)
    Build id: 20181214-0600

Whenever I try to install it it asks me to restart Eclipse every time I launch it and doesn’t stop until I hit cancel. Even after installed it seems to have no effect on my eclipse and actually resets my syntax coloring settings. Since i’m using high-contract black-background settings in windows and therefore eclipse, the text then becomes unreadable because it’s black on black and I have to go back and change all of the syntax coloring. I’ve tried agreeing to the restart multiple times thinking it might sort itself out but no dice. I’ve even tried completely removing eclipse and reinstalling after deleting any eclipse-related directories, including workspaces and the problem persists. I’ve tried enabling/disabling themes and allowing eclipse to manage settings. Am I the only one experiencing this?

#608928 Reply

apocalysque
    Participant

I’d be glad to cooperate in any reasonable way I’m able to. I didn’t see any sticky with a must-gather or any suggestions on how to gather what might be needed.

#608929 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! I’m sorry to know you are having these issuees. Can you please share you workspace log file located at <workspace>/.metadata/.log. Additionally, can you provide the following info:

1. Windows version and Architecture
    2. If you switch from High contrast to the default windows theme, does it work?

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#608980 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

apocalysque,

We’ve managed to replicate the problem so there is no need for the information Aaron asked for. He’ll be in touch with more information as we investigate further.

The only workarounds, at the moment, are either to turn off the Windows High Contrast setting permanently (until we have a fix) or, if this isn’t possible, it can be turned off temporarily, which will allow you to switch eclipse to the “classic” eclipse theme (in Preferences>General>Appearance), click Apply and Close then turn on the Windows High Contrast setting again. In the latter situation, you won’t be able to use the DevStyle themes or the Bread Crumb bar but other features of DevStyle will be available.

When switching High Contrast on or off, eclipse itself will ask you to restart (if it is already running) but this will only happen once each time the setting is changed.

Apologies for the problem but we’ll get back to you with further information when we’ve done more investigation.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by support-tony. Reason: Mentioned eclipse prompt for high contrast setting change
    #609017 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello @apocalysque,

It turns out it’s not possible to use DevStyle theme when using Windows High Contrast as eclipse has to switch to High Contrast mode which blocks several styling bits needed to make DevStyle look good.

We already worked on a fix to detect High Contrast and do not try to apply DevStyle in such case. This will at least fix the multiple restart prompt issue. This fix will be available in our next release, but I can provide you with a patch you can test at your installation if you are interested. Let me know if you want to use the patch.

Sorry for the inconvenciences caused.

Thanks again!
    Aaron Lara

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Aaron Lara.
    #609022 Reply

apocalysque
    Participant

Well, I tried to temporarily disable the high-contrast theme in windows, which *did* allow me to install and use devstyle but when I changed the windows system theme back to high contrast I got a pop up message from eclipse saying that the high contract mode has changed and a eclipse workbench restart was required. Upon restart eclipse is again forced back to the “high contrast” theme. Now that I’ve seen how it’s supposed to work it appears to me to be an eclipse problem, not a devstyle problem. The problem is that eclipse automatically selects it’s own high contrast theme and won’t allow you to select any other. Thank you for your assistance with this problem and I was very impressed with devstyle for the short time I used it. I’ll pursue other avenues for resolving my problem.

#609023 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thanks for the extra details provided! Have an awesome weekend!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Cannot get devstyle to work with eclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in