facebook

cant drag source from Package Expl into UML2 Class Diagram

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

gastil

Given a java Enterprise Application Project with several source files listed in the Package Explorer, I tried to drag-and-drop one of those into a new, empty UML2 Class Diagram. I am in the ‘MyEclipse UML’ perspective. When I try to drag-and-drop, once it gets into the editor view it goes grey and /-ed out (a circle with an \ thru it).

The editor window I am trying to drag the classes into has the extension .umldi

I read two MyEclipse tutorials on this but both imply that this is supposed to work this way. They referred to this process as “forward engineering from java source code to UML diagrams”.

This is my first experience with MyEclipse. I have a trial version. This process works just fine for me in plain eclipse with eUML.

If drag-and-drop is not possible, please specify a way to add classes to my class diagram, from existing java source. I was not able to find any menu item for ‘forward engineering’.

Installation Details…
    *** Date:
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 3:28:17 PM PDT

** System properties:
    OS=MacOSX
    OS version=10.5.8
    Java version=1.5.0_28

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 9.0
    Build id: 9.0-20110318

*** Eclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 9.0
    Build id: 9.0-20110318

Eclipse startup command=-os
    macosx
    -ws
    carbon
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher
    /Applications/MyEclipse/MyEclipse 9.app/Contents/Profile/myeclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/myeclipse
    -name
    Myeclipse
    –launcher.library
    /Applications/MyEclipse/MyEclipse 9.app/Contents/Profile/myeclipse.app/Contents/MacOS//../../../../../../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.carbon.macosx_1.1.1.R36x_v20100810/eclipse_1309.so
    -startup
    /Applications/MyEclipse/MyEclipse 9.app/Contents/Profile/myeclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../../../../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
    -install
    /Applications/MyEclipse/MyEclipse 9.app/Contents/Profile
    -configuration
    /Applications/MyEclipse/MyEclipse 9.app/Contents/Profile/configuration
    -keyring
    /Users/gastil/.eclipse_keyring
    -consoleLog
    -showlocation
    -vm
    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework

#315918 Reply

support-swapna

gastil,

I am unable to replicate it at my end.

1) Can you send us your class file? Also send a screenshot of the editor view which is grayed out. Here is an FAQ on how to attach the files :

https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshooting-how-to-upload-attachments-on-forum/

2) Here is the other way : Right click on the package > MyEclipse > Generate UML2 Class diagram. Select the classes you want to include in the class diagram.

Let me know how this works for you.

#315934 Reply

gastil

Hi support-swapna,

You have helped me. I loaded one of the “examples on demand” that looked simple to be sure we would have the most simple class as an example. And I saw the src folder for the example project had very different icons than my project. It appears when I created my project that my src was not automatically made into a package as it does in plain eclipse. Indeed, the example’s classes ARE able to be dragged into a class diagram. Also your right-click method does work on the example project.

So my problem was not with the UML drawing. My problem was with creating a MyEclipse project from existing source (src, lib, WebRoot,…). I had not realized that process was different in MyEclipse than plain eclipse, where it is automatic.

I will look for a tutorial on importing existing files into a new MyEclipse project.

– gastil

#315957 Reply

support-swapna

gastil,

1) You can use the Import Project functionality to import projects created in Eclipse/MyEclipse.
    You can import .jar and .zip. From MyEclipse IDE, click on File > Import > General > archive file and follow the wizard.

2) If you are looking at importing .WAR files then here is the thread which discusses it :
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/creating-web-development-project-with-existing-source/

Let me know if you have any issues.

#315972 Reply

gastil

Thank you Swapna,

I now have my Web Projects loaded properly in MyEclipse so now the UML drawing options all work correctly. Thank you for the tutorial links. You may close this help ticket.

– gastil

#315976 Reply

support-swapna

gastil,

Glad that it is working.
    Do let us know if you have any issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: cant drag source from Package Expl into UML2 Class Diagram

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in