facebook

Current dir is not visible in a terminal window as well as arrow in a toolbar

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

madjoe
    Participant

1) If you take a closer look at the command prompt of a terminal window, you won’t be able to see my current directory. I use your “Darkest Dark Theme with DevStyle CI 2019.6.17”.

2) Also, if you take a look at the main toolbar, there are some arrows missing (or not visible). This behavior is only if I choose Darkest Dark theme. Tor other themes I can clearly see those black arrow-downs, but not on this theme.

How could I fix this? Thanks.

Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers
    Version: 2019-06 (4.12.0)
    Build id: 20190614-1200
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.3
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.60.0
    Qt Version: 5.13.0
    Kernel Version: 4.19.60-1-MANJARO
    OS Type: 64-bit

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #619025 Reply

support-swapna

Hi,

Sorry that you are seeing these problems with Darkest Dark theme. Thank you for the details and the screenshots.
    While we investigate this further, can you please check if the workaround suggested in this thread helps fix the issue at your end?

If possible, please also check if the problem persists with Eclipse Dark theme as well. Go to Window > Preferences > General > Appearance and select ‘Dark’.

Apologies for inconvenience caused. Please let us know if the workaround helps.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#619240 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

The first issue reg. “invisibility” of the current directory in a command prompt still persist, but the second issue is not present whilst using theme Dark. Please check screenshot attached. Thank you.

Attachments:
    #619245 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

I just tested your workaround for Darkest Dark theme and it really helps to resolve the second issue with arrows for dropdowns.

If you have any workaround for my first issue with the invisible part of my command prompt, that would be really helpful! Thank you.

Attachments:
    #619248 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! Thanks for coming back to us. So it looks like the issue regarding the invisible text in your terminal is not related to DevStyle but we might still be able to come up with a solution. My guts tell me it’s going to be a hardcoded color by the plugin that renders that terminal. How does it look when you use a light theme instead of dark? Can you let me know what kind of terminal is this?

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Aaron Lara.
    #619250 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

I changed to the following:
    1) GNOME Application Style (GTK2 and GTK3 theme) > Breath theme
    2) Eclipse > Preferences > General > Appearance > Theme: Classic

It’s brings me a very light version of Eclipse, however, the issue with my command prompt in a terminal still persist. The layout is j the same as in all of my previous screenshots.

That’s a built in TM Terminal Component that is shipped with Eclipse.

#619251 Reply

Aaron Lara

So when you switch to a light theme you still get a dark background in your terminal? How does it look if you select “Invert Terminal Colors” in Preferences > Terminal?

#619252 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

That’s correct. Currently the colors in terminal are already inverted. If I toggle it back, the color of my background color within terminal becomes white, but the current directory is also white, therefore it’s invisible again.

#619357 Reply

Aaron Lara

Sorry for the delay in the answer. I will have to test this on linux but it’t likely the color comes from your system’s terminal color configurations. If you open your system’s terminal what color is it?

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#619363 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

Here’s the way my system’s terminal looks like… it’s standard color scheme for Manjaro. Current directory within Command prompt is white.

Attachments:
    #619366 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

If it helps, this is the original code from my .bashrc related to colors:

# Set colorful PS1 only on colorful terminals.
    # dircolors --print-database uses its own built-in database
    # instead of using /etc/DIR_COLORS.  Try to use the external file
    # first to take advantage of user additions.  Use internal bash
    # globbing instead of external grep binary.
    safe_term=${TERM//[^[:alnum:]]/?}   # sanitize TERM
    match_lhs=""
    [[ -f ~/.dir_colors   ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(<~/.dir_colors)"
    [[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(</etc/DIR_COLORS)"
    [[ -z ${match_lhs}    ]] \
            && type -P dircolors >/dev/null \
            && match_lhs=$(dircolors --print-database)
    [[ $'\n'${match_lhs} == *$'\n'"TERM "${safe_term}* ]] && use_color=true

if ${use_color} ; then
            # Enable colors for ls, etc.  Prefer ~/.dir_colors #64489
            if type -P dircolors >/dev/null ; then
                    if [[ -f ~/.dir_colors ]] ; then
                            eval $(dircolors -b ~/.dir_colors)
                    elif [[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] ; then
                            eval $(dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS)
                    fi
            fi

if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]] ; then
                    PS1='\[\033[01;31m\][\h\[\033[01;36m\] \W\[\033[01;31m\]]\$\[\033[00m\] '
            else
                    PS1='\[\033[01;32m\][\u@\h\[\033[01;37m\] \W\[\033[01;32m\]]\$\[\033[00m\] '
            fi

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
            alias grep='grep --colour=auto'
            alias egrep='egrep --colour=auto'
            alias fgrep='fgrep --colour=auto'
    else
            if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]] ; then
                    # show root@ when we don't have colors
                    PS1='\u@\h \W \$ '
            else
                    PS1='\u@\h \w \$ '
            fi
    fi

unset use_color safe_term match_lhs sh
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by madjoe.
    #619771 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thanks for the extra details. So it looks like the colors are taken from the OS level terminal, but inverted the wong way. Does your Linux distribution allow to customize the colors for your terminal? If you can, please test a different color for your directory location and then restart eclipse.

Cheers!

#619860 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

Of course I could customize color theme for my terminal by modifying $PS1 value, but the current color scheme gives me the best readability for my native terminal app, since its theme is already dark. Unfortunately, both of the issues from my original post are clearly usability issues with this theme and it would be great if you could fix it. Thank you!

Attachments:
    #627271 Reply

madjoe
    Participant

Hi again… this bug is really killing me. What would be the appropriate place to report this bug?

I already reported this to Eclipse: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=549697

… and here. Should it be reported elsewhere? Thanks.

#627272 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello again! unfortunately, those colors do not come from the theme but the terminal plugin itself. My guess is that their code is wrongly inverting that white color. So you did the right thing by reporting the bug to Eclipse, as the fix will have to be made in the Terminal plugin which we do not control.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Current dir is not visible in a terminal window as well as arrow in a toolbar

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in