facebook

deletionIndicationColor is constantly reset

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

becevka
    Participant

Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.

Version: Photon Release (4.8.0)
    Build id: 20180619-1200

Hello,

My deletionIndicationColor property set in eclipse org.eclipse.ui.editors.prefs file is being constantly overridden to nothing.
    After I close eclipse the file is changed to have predarkestdark.deletionIndicationColor=255,125,120
    and after start it is removed and deletion marker is some black color completely invisible on the black ruler.

Adding <deletionIndication color\=”\#FF7D78″/>\n to com.github.eclipsecolortheme.prefs didn’t do any help.
    Please suggest how should I preserve my chosen color.
    Thanks!

#602493 Reply

support-swapna

becevka,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.

Can you please give us some more details?

1. Can you please clarify if you are manually editing the preferences file to set the deletionIndicationColor property when Eclipse is closed? If you are setting the property when Eclipse is running then there is a chance that the changes are lost when Eclipse closes.

2. Can you please clarify if you are seeing this problem only with DevStyle themes? Does it work fine if you switch to Eclipse’s dark theme? Please go to Window > Preferences > General > Appearance and set theme to Dark and see if you can replicate the same problem.

3. In Darkest Dark, which editor theme is your workbench set to? If you are working with an imported theme, then please share the details with us.

4. Apart from manually setting the deletionIndicationColor property in org.eclipse.ui.editors.prefs, are you making any other changes to the Preferences page after starting Eclipse? Please share with us the exact steps you are following right from how you are setting the deletionIndicationColor property to help us replicate the problem at our end.

5. If possible, please share with us the zipped .settings folder located in the Eclipse’s configuration directory to help us investigate further.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#602536 Reply

becevka
    Participant

Hi Swapna,

1. I am editing in eclipse preferences using General>Editors>Text Editors>Quick Diff
    2. Switching to Dark Theme preserves my changes
    3. I am using Healthy Eyes workbench theme. And I noticed that switching to other theme for ex. Darkest Dark or Mojave Dark works better, it doesn’t preserve the color, but the color is at least not black. Maybe the problem is that this theme http://www.eclipsecolorthemes.org/?view=theme&id=47380 doesn’t override deletionIndication. But I wonder why should themes override deletionIndicationColor from QuickDiff at all?
    4. I was not setting it manually, but after setting it through General>Editors>Text Editors>Quick Diff, I start to check what is going on with that setting.
    5. I can’t share the whole folder but I can share separate files, if have a list of files which makes sense to check.

Thanks

#602537 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello @becevka, I tried to replicate the issue at my end but it does respect whatever I set for deletionIndicationColor from QUick Diff Page, So a little more information regarding your setup might help:
    – What version of DevStyle are you using? (are you up to date?)
    – What combination of settins are you using in the DevStyle > Color Themes page?

Trying the following might help:
    1. Go to the DevStyle > Color Themes and select any editor theme
    2. Check the “Force Colors” checkbox
    3. Apply and Close, then restart the eclipse IDE
    4. Try to change your deletionIndicationColor again from the Quick Diff pref page and make sure it’s persisted after restarting again.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#602539 Reply

becevka
    Participant

Hi Aaron,
    Thanks for steps. Unfortunately, thet didn’t help.

I have attached screen shot of my Color Themes setting.
    I am using DevStyle (includes Darkest Dark Theme) 1.11.0.201810241355

I think as an option, I can just download Healthy Eyes theme XML, correct deletionIndication value to desired one and import that theme in Color Themes.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #602542 Reply

Aaron Lara

@becevka that workaround you just mentioned makes sense, please let me know if it works for you. I will keep investigating at my end. What OS and Arch are you working with?

#602543 Reply

Aaron Lara

I have just tried your same configuration of Color Themes and it persists my deletionIndicationColor preference. One other though is that maybe oomph is messing with some preferences. You could try:

1. Shut down Eclipse
    2. go to your <home>/.eclipse directory and remname all directories starting with org.eclipse.oomph
    3. Start up eclipse again.

Cheers!

#602544 Reply

becevka
    Participant

Yep. Creating my own theme using XML and importing worked really well. I have configured more precisely some other colors.

As for Oomph, that was the first thing I’ve considered, I removed all oomph caches by renaming whole .eclipse directory. But no help 🙁

Anyway, I have a workaround, so you don’t need to worry about that issue.
    However, in general, I think it is a bit confusing that deletionIndicationColor from eclipse Quick Diff is synchronized with deletionIndication from theme, I would think deletionIndication should work as an indicator of method or member marked for deletion or something else related to syntax.

Thanks for the chat!

(PS. Love the font and color in this forum message editor)

#602546 Reply

Aaron Lara

Awesome! It’s good to know your workaround worked. Thanks for your collaboration! We will still work on a fix to not override user preferences.

Have a great weekend!
    Aaron Lara

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: deletionIndicationColor is constantly reset

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in