facebook

m9 is out – what’s the scoop on 3.8 ? [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Eclipse News
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Ivar Vasara

It’s that time again.. yes.. the obligatory Eclipse Milestone release thread !
    Find out here what the ME people are planning in terms of release dates of our beloved plugin.. will there be a beta ? will they release this week ?
    Find out here, on “as the eclipse release cycle spins…”

#207362 Reply

Ivar Vasara

Seriously, the 3.0 API is now frozen, and m9 == RC0. According the endgame plan, they will be releasing every friday from now until the official 3.0 launch on June 28, 2004.
    OOC, how long is the 2.X series of eclipse going to be supported after 3.0 ships ?

3.0 endgame plans:
    http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/eclipse-project-home/plans/3_0/freeze_plan.html

#207363 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ivar,

I almost preempted you this time and started this thread myself, but I decided to give you five more minutes. 😉

will there be a beta ? will they release this week ?

Yes, there will be. It’s targeted one week from today (“5/28”), but I’d give us the weekend too if we use history as a guide. We just never know how much pain and suffering the port will take since it depends on how liberally the Eclipse team moved API’s around on us. I wish we had an estimate on it, but we can’t get our hands on M9 yet since the download server isn’t responding due to the load. We’ll do our best to get a copy over the weekend so we can be up and running on it next week.

After M9, I’d expect that our M9 release will continue to work with each weekly build, as long as the Eclipse team holds true to the ‘API’s are really really frozen’ thing. 🙂

#207366 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ivar,
    To answer your other question about the 2.x series, our tenative plan is to put it into maintenence mode after 2.8/3.8 GA are released. There are *numerous* enhancements to the 3.0 platform that we can take advantage of that just would not be possible to back port to the 2.x series, which is on of the biggest reasons (and sanity) for putting 2.x into maintenence mode and moving forward with 3.0.

#207373 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

And, before any of our more ‘enterprising’ users try it, I can unequivocably guarantee that MyEclipse 3.7.2 WILL NOT work with M9. There have been the
    usual number of API changes that will make it impossible until we port, test, and release 3.8 Beta 1.

#207374 Reply

snpe

Scott,
    If you have problem with download try this :
    http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/eclipse/S-3.0M9-200405211200/

Link is quick and correct

I am too that main development trunk be for 3.0 and eventualy backport in 2.1

regards

#207375 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Thanks for the link. Actually, one of our guys found it last night and managed to pull it down and post the new build on our internal servers.

I am too that main development trunk be for 3.0 and eventualy backport in 2.1

I think you might have left a word or two out of this sentence, but I’m guessing that you’d rather have us build for 3.0 first then backport to 2.1. We’ll move toward that in the next month or so, now that 3.0 is finally becoming API-stable.

#207557 Reply

binyan

OK, it’s been nearly a week, what’s our status?

#207559 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Porting. Please remember, although people refer to MyEclipse as a ‘plugin’, it’s really about 70 plugins and features. The M9 changes were quite extensive in certain areas and introduced some plugin loading issues that took awhile to work around.

#207563 Reply

vbfischer

@binyan wrote:

A little impatient are we?

I suspect they’ll let us know when its available, as they have in the past.

#207588 Reply

Ivar Vasara

@binyan wrote:

looks like another ME diehard.. 🙂

Well, earlier in the thread Scott told us they’re targetting early next week (week of the 31st) for a RC enabled beta.
    The jump from M8 to M9/RC0 has apparently been brutal for plugin developers.. the #eclipse irc channel is full of people complaining and bugzilla’s seeing a lot of traffic. Eclipse is due to be released every Friday at 10AM EST until full release, so let’s hope tomorrow’s build (RC1) is better. It’ll also be nice for the ME people to have a slightly more stable platform for their 3.8 beta. That said, I have my doubts they’ll be able to get ME release ready for next week given how many complaints I’ve read from other plugin developers.

#207592 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ivar,

You’re correct, it’s been a real bear. Looks like the Eclipse team jammed in a lot of stuff at the ‘last minute’ and it’s proving very problematic for everyone. This migration from M8 to M9 has more API changes than we’ve seen in the other M-builds. We also got hung up for a couple days on this little showstopper of a bug (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=63870) that basically prevented all plugin developers from exporting most of their plugins for builds in M9. As a result, we’re trying to download the integration build that fixes the issue, then we’ve got to patch our M9 installs and see what shows up next.

At the present time, we’ve ported all the code so there aren’t any compilation errors, but haven’t even begun to really test it due to the export bug. We’re working hard and doing the best we can, but it will most likely be early next week (Mon/Tues) before we’ll be able to get a build out that we’re comfortable with.

#207597 Reply

binyan

Thanks, Scott.

You gave status which is all I asked for. I’m also aware of that bug since I’m one of the ones who reported a duplicate of it.

#207622 Reply

Scott,

Hey… I really appreciate the update! Keep up the great work.

#207658 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ok, since everyone likes updates, here’s another. 🙂

We’ve had to modify/reimplement annotation models, menu additions, plugin startup sequences, document providers, document partitioners, and a host of other smaller things to get everything back in order and “apparently” working. This was the biggest effort we’ve had to put in on a 3.0 port yet, including the original one when we began supporting M2 months ago. And to think, we only went from M8 to M9! Those Eclipse guys obviously new this release was the API freeze so they took one last opportunity to pull everything off their private CVS branches and shove them all into HEAD in one big shot. Of course, being a developer I can’t really blame them as I’d’ve done the same thing. 😉

Anyway, we still need to get a new build downloaded to work around the plugin export problem, but everyone will begin testing in the PDE over the weekend and will then transition to production builds once we can produce them. It’s kind of a sorry way to spend a long weekend (Memorial Day in the US), but we should have something ready by Tuesday at this point. Fingers crossed we don’t find a showstopper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Reply To: m9 is out – what’s the scoop on 3.8 ? [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in