facebook

Nothing but problems with ME 9.0

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Pete Helgren
    Participant

After installing ME 9.0 I had a brief period of joy where everything seemed to work fine. I had a couple of situations where my laptop became unresponsive when using MyEclipse but those were originally few and far between. In the past week it has become more frequent and in the past few days it has been a 2-3 times a day experience. I have gotten multiple and varied errors and been forced to exit on what seems to be memory related issues.

After the first series of issues, I started ME 9 with -clean. In the past two days I have added the following to the ini:

-vmargs
    -Xmx1024m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
    -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=128m

I am running Windows 7 64bit with an Intel i7 and have 8GB RAM installed.

This morning, after several mid-development crashes, I created a new workspace, started with -clean and imported a project. After an hour or so of development I got several errors:

Unhandled event loop exception
    No more handles

An internal error has occurred.
    unable to create new native thread

These seem to indicate that there is a memory issue.

In total frustration I decided uninstall version 9 but the uninstall fails. I sent off a ‘bundle’ to the development team but I need to get a functional copy of MyEclipse installed. Can I revert back to 8.6 and still use my workspaces?

I have been using ME for several years with no problems at all, but this version has been very unstable. Suggestions ?

#316754 Reply

support-joy

phelgren,

Sorry to hear you are running into this issue. I have escalated your issue. Our dev team member would get back to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

#316781 Reply

Pete Helgren
    Participant

Thanks Joy,

FWIW when I start MyEclipse and view the heap status it shows around 55M in use out of 234M. As *soon* as I click into an HTML file in the IDE, the heap usage starts to climb radically and quickly goes to 150M and continues to climb. I think I will change which editor I open the files with and see if that helps. Not sure what is going on but I also really haven’t paid attention to the heap status and this may be normal behavior.

#316793 Reply

Brian Fernandes

phelgren,

We are working on a 9.0.1 release that should fix the JavaScript memory issue, I believe the issue you are seeing with the HTML editor is related.

I wrote post on performance and memory issues that may help work-around these problems for now: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshooting-memory-amp-performance-issues/

#316815 Reply

Pete Helgren
    Participant

Thanks Brian. Using the text editor for HTML editing allowed me to work all day without a ME crash. I took at look at your instructions and based on what it said and the prompt in the exclude list (it already listed my relative path), I simply used ** as the entry and the heap never crawled over 100M so I think that takes acre of it. I’ll just need to remember to add that trick to the other projects in the workspace as I open them. That will hold me for now,

#319522 Reply

Pete Helgren
    Participant

FWIW The 9.1 release seems to continue to have memory problems. I lose my IDE at least twice a day. Sometimes it just disappears without a warning. Sometimes it gives me varied memory errors.

This is a completely new install (build id: 9.1-20110701) I installed to a new location and a started with new workspaces and it still dies. I want my 8.xx release back!!!!

#319603 Reply

tpsalvatore

I’m experiencing the same issues…I first tried switching the workspace, no luck, then I tried to completely reinstall, no luck, then I switched to 32 bit linux installation (before I was running the 64 bit one), no luck.

I’ve made a couple of trials.
    It seems to me the bug is somewhat related to validators, because if I disable all the validators it seems to run smoothly.

I can add more info:
    it seems that when running validations memory usage grows uncontrolled and then no garbage collection is done, a proof of this is that if I manually run garbage collection after a successfull validation (and trust me this is really rare) it frees correctely the memory and I can continue to work for a couple of minutes more.

I’m a MyEclipse customer from more than 3 years now, and I must say it is more difficult year by year to prove that MyEclipse is a valid IDE to invest on, I’ve noticed the various issues to increment instead of decrement (to make a couple of examples I’ve experienced issues with svn, visual web editor, memory usage and more).

IT is true that Genuitec launched a lot of new products in the last times, but this is not a good reason in my opinion to lose quality on your proven products…I’m really disappointed.

Feel free to contact me to ask whatever you need to help fixiing this issue.

Kind Regards,
    Salvatore Ciaramella

#319613 Reply

Pete Helgren
    Participant

Thanks Salvatore. I was beginning to think I was the only one unhappy with Genuitec on the 9.x release. I still get memory errors and crashes after turning off all validation. I get some relief using the 9.0 fix of excluding all files on the source path OR using a text editor for javascript editing (which kind of defeats the purpose of an IDE…)

This has been a highly disappointing release. I am unlikely to renew my subscription for the first time in 6 years. Stability should *ALWAYS* be more important than features. This release is costing me $$ in lost productivity (again, ironic for an IDE)

#319657 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Phelgren,

I responded to your second post about memory issues over here:
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/is-there-any-fix-to-me-9-1-memory-failures/
    With the JS mode settings in 9.1, none of the prior solutions that involve removing source folders or modifying the JS build path should be required.

Salvatore, could you please read the above post and let me know if the change in the JavaScript mode improves your experience? This will tone down the JS validator and if it is indeed causing your problems, we should see some significant improvements.

If not, as I stated in the other thread – performance is a very important aspect of MyEclipse and I will work with you both to make sure these issues are resolved. We did the same with 9.1 where several editor related performance issues were resolved and successfully tested by customers prior to release.

I would like to comment that while Genuitec has grown into a multi-product company, the MyEclipse team has grown as well. Furthermore, no MyEclipse developers have been transferred to our other product teams – they have remained working on the MyEclipse product; we’ve brought on new personnel to work on the other products.

#319660 Reply

Pete Helgren
    Participant

Thanks Brian. I was checking for a reply by scanning the “Replies” column to my posts to see if they changed. They had not, so I didn’t think I had a response. So now I responded to your questions and I apologize for the delay.

Pete

#319675 Reply

tpsalvatore

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for your reply,
    following the advices contained in the post you mentioned seems to help a bit in this situation (even if I had to set javascript to BASIC mode) .

This tells you that the problem is in your Javascript tools libraries.

Well, that said, it seems however strange that when validators are running (with three not so big projects opened) memory usage jumps from 60Mb to 600Mb or Even 1Gb if I’m doing anything else during validation.

It seems to me there are already some flaws inside other validators tools libraries and the one we found about javascript simply pushed the situation to its extreme consequence.

The juice in this is : please ask dev team to focus on validation process to discover where they can improve memory usage.

We all hope MyEclipse 10 to be the release that will solve this sort of problems (and bring visual xhtml editor back in 64 bit linux version again :'( )

Please keep improve this wonderful ide, and next time if you have issues on any feature leave that disabled by default and suggest user they can enable it if they want to help testing

#319678 Reply

tpsalvatore

Ok turns out that even disabling javascript inside 64 bit version of myeclipse doesn’t help at all, and memory goes crazy. The only thing that makes it usable again is disable all validators

#319686 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Salvatore,

It seems to me there are already some flaws inside other validators tools libraries and the one we found about javascript simply pushed the situation to its extreme consequence.

Yes, I agree; though typically there are bad bugs in a few validators or tricky files which tend to trip the validators up.

If we can figure this out, I can even put a fix in the 9.1.1 release. At least we know it isn’t JS and we can narrow this problem down – we do have quite a few validators and finding a memory problem is going to be difficult in the short term.

We can approach this from two angles, reducing the number of projects and reducing the number of validators.

1) Reproduce the problem by restarting MyEclipse, turning an all validators and cleaning all your projects. Make sure Build Automatically is on – this should trigger a validation pass and reproduce the memory issue.

2) We can now try a binary search for the validator (or groups of validators) that is causing the problem – go the to the global validation preference page and instead of turning off all the validators, turn off only the first half of the validators that are currently enabled. Repeat the clean build and see if you can still reproduce the problem. If yes, turn off an additional half of those which are on and proceed; if not, you can turn this half off and the first half back on. I’m sure you get the idea, you can continue with this until you narrow it down to just one validator or a small set of validators.

3) As an additional and/or alternative step, you can also close your projects and observe if it is just one of your projects causing the massive consumption of memory with all the validators enabled.

If you prefer, we can have a web meeting where we can look at the problem together.

#319697 Reply

tpsalvatore

Hi Brian,
    if it’s not a problem for you (I’m on linux) I’d prefer to have a web meeting and explore the cause of the problem together.

I’m free just now, or maybe we can do the meeting this afternoon, let me know when it’s better for you.

Kind Regards,
    Salvatore

#319698 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Responded via PM.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Nothing but problems with ME 9.0

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in