facebook

Problem with list in Quick Switch Editor

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

mauromol
    Participant

There has been this annoying problem with Quick Switch Editor for a long time, but I was too lazy to investigate it further until now. I tried to reproduce with Eclipse default dark theme and this doesn’t occur, so it must be a problem in Darkest Dark theme.

IDE Package: no package, Eclipse Runtime Environment + various plugins installed via update sites
    IDE Version: Eclipse 4.14 (but it was happening in 4.12, 4.11… as well)
    Relevant Plugins Installed: DevStyle 1.11.0.201909171704
    Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. open some editors
    2. hit Ctrl+E to open Quick Switch Editor
    (IMPORTANT: ensure the mouse pointer is NOT inside the Quick Switch Editor popup when it opens!)
    3. the list of open editors appears and the focus is on a leading filter field
    4. hit the down/up arrow keys a couple of times to move selection in the editor list
    5. wait for 2/5 seconds without doing anything
    6. hit again the down/up arrow keys to move selection in the editor list further

EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR
    The selection is moved. As an alternative, I can click on any editor name with the mouse to switch to that editor.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOUR
    Nothing happens, the selection does not move and the list seems to be frozen. You can’t click on any editor name with the mouse.

NOTE:
    If at step 2 the mouse cursor is inside the Quick Switch Editor popup when it opens, then the problem does NOT occur.
    It seems to be something related to the list not gaining focus, or something like that.

Please note I’m working on Windows 10. The workbench theme is Deep Black, but the same problem happens with Dark Gray.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by mauromol.
    #641675 Reply

support-swapna

mauromol,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Thank you for the detailed steps.
    I could replicate the problem twice but not consistently afterwards.

1. When the dialog seems frozen and if you try to select the editor name, does the dialog close?
    2. At step 2, the mouse cursor is in the filter box when the dialog opens, is that right? If no, then how are you ensuring the cursor is outside it?
    3. Are you seeing this issue consistently? I mean each and every time you invoke the Quick Switch dialog?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#641680 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

Please note that Open Resource dialog (Ctrl+Shift+R) has the exact same problem.

#641682 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

Hi Swapna,
    I’m going to answer your questions:

1. what you mean “select”? It’s not the dialog to be frozen, but the list. When the list is frozen, I can’t select an editor name either with the keyboard (the selection does not move) nor with a mouse click (as I said in the report).
    2. no. I’ll try to explain better. Suppose the popup dialog normally opens on the mid-right of the screen: you have to invoke Ctrl+E (or Ctrl+Shift+R for the Open Resource dialog) when the mouse pointer is on the left on the screen: in this way, when the dialog opens, the mouse pointer is OUTSIDE the frame of the popup window. In this case, the problem happens. If, instead, when you hit Ctrl+E (or Ctrl+Shift+R) the mouse point is in the mid-right of the screen and hence it happens to be INSIDE the frame of the popup window (as soon as it opens), then in this case the problem does not happen.
    3. yes, with the above steps I see this consistently. The key point is to make sure the mouse pointer is away when you open the popup dialog using the keyboard shortcuts.

Mauro

#641683 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

I made some more tests.
    The problem also happens with Open Type dialog (Ctrl+Shift+T). But this dialog is more complex, so we can see something more.

When the list is frozen, if you still hit up/down arrow keys, you’ll see that under the covers the item selection changes, because the field below the list (that shows the class location, package and path) will change accordingly. However, the list does not respond.

Regarding the role of the mouse pointer:

1) if the mouse pointer has a x coordinate lower than the left edge of the popup dialog before the dialog is opened, then the problem OCCURS
    2) if the mouse pointer has a x coordinate greater than or equal to the left edge of the popup dialog before the dialog is opened, then the problem DOES NOT OCCUR

So, the key point is not about the mouse pointer to be inside or outside the dialog as soon as this opens (as I said before), but rather to be in a position with a x coordinate below the one of the left edge of the dialog.

Hope this helps.

#641684 Reply

support-swapna

mauromol,

Thank you for the detailed report.
    We will look into it and keep you posted about our findings.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#641694 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello @mauromol! Looks like there’s indeed an issue with DevStyle in some tables and lists, but I can replicate it only on HiDPI monitor, at least that would explain why this was not reported before. Do you mind confirming this is your case as well?

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#641697 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

Hi Aaron,
    oh well… I don’t think I have a HiDPI monitor (it’s a 24″ FullHD Philips 240B7QPJ).
    However might it be due to the fact that I’m using a dual monitor setup?

The monitor I mentioned is the main one, but I also have another 22″ FullHD Philips 221B monitor, which is positioned on the left of the main one, turned by 90 degrees in vertical position. This is a sketch of my setup:

|----|
    |    |
    | 22 | |---------|
    |    | |    24   |
    |----| |---------|

So, no HiDPI monitors, but something that may in some way disturb DevStyle perhaps…

Mauro

Update:
    As an additional note: the editor and the popup dialogs I get the issue in are all displayed on the main monitor (the 24″ one). However, in the secondary monitor (the 22″ one) I have another Eclipse window containing some views (like the Project Explorer, the Outline View, the Console, etc.).

I don’t know if this is relevant or not.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by mauromol.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by mauromol.
    #641700 Reply

Aaron Lara

I see, thanks again for the details. We will work on a fix for this for the next release. Please stay tuned as we might need your help testing the change before actually releasing it :D.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#641704 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

No problem for testing, thank you!
    I really look forward to this 🙂

#644323 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello @mauromol! I have got workaround (not an actual fix yet) for this issue. I have proved it works for Open Resource and Open Type.

I could not replicate the Open editor (Ctrl + E) one, but hopefully it works for that issue too. Can you please give it a try?

1. Download the attached file and extract it
    2. Replace the included jar with the one you have at eclipse/plugins directory.
    3. Edit the eclipse.ini file (sibling of your eclipse.exe).
    Add -Dshow.virtual.tables.grid.lines=true in a new line just after -vmargs.
    4. Start Eclipse and see if it works for you.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #644422 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

Hi Aaron,
    I confirm this workaround fixes the problem for Open Type and Open Resource! 🙂
    Unfortunately, it does not fix the problem for Quick Switch Editor (Ctrl+E) 🙁

Can I help you in some way to to reproduce this in Ctrl+E as well?

Thanks,
    Mauro

#644434 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello Mauro, Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad the workaround worked for you on Open Resource and Open Type.

Regarding quick switch editor, can you please record a short gif and share it to us? You can use Gyazo or any other record tool you prefer.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#644452 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

Hi Aaron,
    here is a short gif:

https://gyazo.com/8d75eeb5f1e4c057dfb1a516de9bee8e

I don’t know how much clear it is. What I do is to open Quick Switch Editor with Ctrl+E while the cursor is in the editor (the mouse pointer is all way left), I hit down arrow twice, I stop for one second, then try to press down arrow again, but as you can see the selection does not go down further, the list selection is frozen.

Mauro

#644456 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thanks for the details. I cannot see the same issue but I do see some inconsistencies when there are lots of editor open, like the scrollbar is not updated while moving the selection.

This is a different issue than the Open Resource and Open Type. I will need to investigate further.

Thanks for staying tuned!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Problem with list in Quick Switch Editor

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in