facebook

Subversion .. Open Source Replacement for CVS

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Thomas Trostel
    Participant

It seems a number of people in the open source community are moving from the tried and true CVS to Subversion. Subversion is extremely similar to CVS but was rewritten to take care of some nagging issues that many developers had.

There is a wonderful free set of documentation from O’Reilley on this project located at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ .

Can we make this a sticky? Thanks!

#224991 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I don’t quite understand why this is here… why not just install the subclipse plugin? Other developers here that use SV use it with ME…

#225002 Reply

Subclipse is working nicely since 0.9.26 or so, the Synchronize view now actually works!

#225944 Reply

steveh
    Participant

There is a minor issue with Subclipse that when you check out a web project it deletes the properties for the project that MyEclipse has set up so you lose the deployment prefix, source path, etc. and have to update them again manually. Otherwise I have no problems at all using Subclipse with MyEclipse.

#225950 Reply

Riyad Kalla

That information is all stored in the project’s dot (.) files (.project, .classpath, .mymetadata, etc.), if this data is getting erased then most likely it is not under source control, or not being checked in correctly… or there is a bug in subclipse….

#227625 Reply

Werner Punz

I can second that, that is not a problem of subclipse which does and can store the .<whatever> data.
    And yes subclipse works quite well, although it could be faster (tortoise flies compared to subclipse)
    But given that writing such a plugin is a huge task and the handful of developers yet still work on adding the last missing features of the CVS integration, subclipse is an amazing project.

#229017 Reply

We have been using Subclipse and MyEclipse together for a while with no problem. Still need tortoise svn for some tasks it does better than Subclipse but not a great deal.

Bernard

#229095 Reply

headius

As mentioned by a few others on this forum, Subclipse provides a pretty good Team implementation for Eclipse and Subversion. It is, however, a bit spotty on functionality. I personally use it only for small, simple projects, because it seems to break down on larger ones.

I would like to see Subclipse included in MyEclipse, and any assistance you could give them to help solidify it would be really excellent. Generally, we did not purchase our copies of MyEclipse because it provided things Eclipse+Plugins did not…we purchased it because it provided Eclipse+Plugins pre-integrated and working well, with support to boot. That’s the big benefit I see to using MyEclipse, and adding Subclipse to the list of features would be a plus for everyone.

#230285 Reply

Rob Rutherford
    Participant

@support-rkalla wrote:

I don’t quite understand why this is here… why not just install the subclipse plugin? Other developers here that use SV use it with ME…

Hello,

I remember last year the one of the moderators said that since ME is so large that you shouldn’t be using other plugins with ME.

Rob

#230288 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Rob let us know who it was, so we can shoot them.

#231913 Reply

We are using SVN with TortoiseSVN and Subclipse. Neither do everything so we have to use both. One good replacement for both would be great !

#231982 Reply

jchava

Currently several SVN plugins require several applications installed in the computer.

For MyEclipse, may be a better idea is include the Subclipse with the Tmate SVN 100% pure java library
    http://tmate.org/svn/

#231987 Reply

jqshenker

Sometimes subclipse just chokes sometimes, esp. when deleting and renaming (moving) files. It would be *very* nice to have a more robust svn interface, also using the tmate JavaSVN pure libs.

#231991 Reply

Victor Ott

It is very true that deleting and moving/renaming are currently permanent sources of headaches with subclipse, but there are workarounds for them. We have to be realistically here.

Imho it would be of more help to invest the manpower into fixing the existing ME bugs and implement other ME feature requests. Please consider also this reason: Subversion and derived plugins have other, usually faster, turn around cycles. I personally do not like to have to wait (&depend) a undefined persiod of time for a someday upcoming ME release, which catches up with Subversion features.

#232015 Reply

stchome
    Participant

As with most plugins and MyEclipse, if the MyEclipse version is cleaner and/or has better features, I’m inclined to use MyEclipse and not go hunt for another plugin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Subversion .. Open Source Replacement for CVS

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in