facebook

[Workaround] Deploying to oc4j 10g (10.1.2.0.)

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

bradm

I did change the port (because I use 8888 for Tomcat), but since the default page for oc4j comes up fine when I browse to localhost:9999 I’m confident that something else is wrong.

#234540 Reply

Carl Trapani

Hi all,

For what it’s worth, I also have struggled with deploying to OC4J standalone 10.1.2, but stumbled on success just now. There are two additional things beyond what is documented in this thread that I did to my OC4J installation to make things work on my Win2K machine:

1) Certain OC4J config files in [OC4J_INSTALL]\j2ee\home\config\ were Read Only!! I took that attribute off all my config files.

2) After multiple failed attempts to deploy where console indicated success but I got 404 not found in browser, I resorted to running Oracle’s admin.jar utility to deploy the EAR and then bind it to the http-web-site (default) web site. Here is a sample of those commands:

From the [OC4J_INSTALL]\j2ee\home directory

java -jar admin.jar ormi://localhost:23791 admin [your_admin_pass] -deploy -file [ear_file_name.ear] -deployName [appName]

java -jar admin.jar ormi://localhost:23791 admin [your_admin_pass] -bindWebApp [appName] [WARfileNameWithoutTheWar] http-web-site [contextWithoutTheLeadingSlash]

That worked, so I undeployed the app using the admin.jar (which also unbound the app from the web site).:

java -jar admin.jar ormi://localhost:23791 admin [your_admin_pass] -undeploy [appName]

Then … magic, the MyEclipse deployment works like a charm. I’m not really sure what the deal is. I feel a bit like a plumber with plunger, but I’m used to that working with Oracle App server. Of course, Tomcat worked fine first time. I bet other app servers work first time too.

I’m very happy with MyEclipse so far and can’t say enough good about the great documentation and features that I’ve found so far, especially compared with Eclipse WTP (still too churning for me). Keep up the great work folks!!

Carl

#234553 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Carl,
    We really appreciate you posting these details for other users, these forums are truely a boom for anyone trying to work with J2EE development, not just using MyEclipse.

#234829 Reply

developerwiz

@support-scott wrote:

One thing we haven’t covered is what port you’re trying to access to see the server. See (http://www.johntopley.com/kb/oracle/0025.html) which shows the default port is 8888. So, try http://localhost:8888/…

Hello:
    I am trying to repeat the process.
    While deployng the EAR file I am getting the following in the OC4J console:
    05/08/15 15:07:01 Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0) initialized
    05/08/15 15:07:26 Auto-unpacking D:\tools\OracleAS\oc4j_extended\j2ee\home\application-autodeploy\HelloWorldEAR.ear… 05/08/15 15:07:27 Error installing applications: Unknown assembly root-tag attribute: xmlns
    done.

05/08/15 15:07:31 Error installing applications: Unknown assembly root-tag attribute: xmlns

Any ideas?
    THanks

#234831 Reply

developerwiz

@developerwiz wrote:

@support-scott wrote:

One thing we haven’t covered is what port you’re trying to access to see the server. See (http://www.johntopley.com/kb/oracle/0025.html) which shows the default port is 8888. So, try http://localhost:8888/…

Hello:
    I am trying to repeat the process.
    While deployng the EAR file I am getting the following in the OC4J console:
    05/08/15 15:07:01 Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0) initialized
    05/08/15 15:07:26 Auto-unpacking D:\tools\OracleAS\oc4j_extended\j2ee\home\application-autodeploy\HelloWorldEAR.ear… 05/08/15 15:07:27 Error installing applications: Unknown assembly root-tag attribute: xmlns
    done.

05/08/15 15:07:31 Error installing applications: Unknown assembly root-tag attribute: xmlns

Any ideas?
    THanks

Never mind, silly me – had wrong J2EE level…

#237206 Reply

bgblanch

I am writing this to hopefully help out some people trying to use Eclipse/MyEclipse with Oracle Portal. I spent about a day gathering information and playing around with the .xml files trying to get it to work. After requesting help from MyEclipse Support (thank you Scott), I was able to get it up and running. So, to save you some time, here is what you need to do.

First, set up the OC4J server. To do this, go to Window > Preferences. Click the + next to MyEclipse, the the + next to Application Servers. Click on Oracle 9i/AS. Click on the radion button next to Enable (yup, to enable the server). Next to Oracle AS Home Directory, Browse to the j2ee/home directory of your installation (C:\JDev1012\j2ee\home for me), and set the Host:ORMI Port to localhost:23791. Click the + next to Oracle 9i/AS and then on JDK. Make sure that you have added a proper J2SDK (J2SDK1.4.2 for me). Click OK and you’re done.

In order to deploy a web application from Eclipse 3.1 and MyEclipse 4.0, you have to use the J2EE 1.3 Specification Level when creating the web application. Once you’ve got your web app completed, create a new Enterprise Application Project (again using the J2EE 1.3 Specification Level). Uncheck the “Define EJB Project Modules” under Creation Tasks (I found this advice in the forums and it works), click next. Under Web Project Modules, select any applicable Web Module Projects (the web app you created previously), click next, then finish. Make sure that you have the Oracle AS setup correctly. Deploy the web app you created to the OC4J (this will create a .war file). Then deploy the Enterprise Application Project to the OC4J server (this will create the .ear file).

To deploy your .ear file to the Oracle Portal, log into the middle tier and find a suitable OC4J container (I would recommend against the default OC4J as your code will get wiped out when you do any patches). If you don’t have any suitable OC4J containers, create one and then click on the name/link. Click on Applications, then the Deploy EAR File button. Browse to your .ear file (mine was in C:\JDev1012\j2ee\home\application-autodeploy), give it a name and then deploy it.

NOTE: You may have to do some other futsing around to get the deployment correct, if this doesn’t work for you, explore the rest of the thread as I may have missed a step or you may have something set up different than I did.

Specs:
    M$ Windows XP
    Eclipse 3.1
    MyEclipse 4.0
    Oracle JDeveloper 10.1.2
    (for the OC4J server – you can also download just the OC4J server from Oracle)
    Oracle Portal 10g/Application Server 10.1.2

#237207 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thank you very much bqblanch for posting and making this thread valuable to everyone that may be running into similar problems.

#247185 Reply

gooshy1

What operating system and version are you running? – Windows XP SP2
    What Eclipse version and build id are you using? – Version: 3.1.1
    – Was Eclipse freshly installed for MyEclipse? Yes
    – Are any other external plugins installed? – No
    – How many plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory are like org.eclipse.pde.* – 14
    What MyEclipse version are you using? – 4.1.0 GA
    What JDK version are you using to run Eclipse? – build 1.4.2_08-b03
    What JDK version are you using to launch your application server? build 1.4.2_08-b03
    What application server are you using? OC4J 10.1.2.0.2
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? No.

Having followed the instructions on this thread for setting up oc4j I have encountered the following error when accessing the initial page of the app. I get the following error message in the console window:

06/02/22 16:05:10 Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (10.1.2.0.2) initialized
    06/02/22 16:05:49 Auto-unpacking C:\Servers\10g_extended1012\j2ee\home\application-autodeploy\anpr2.ear… done.
    06/02/22 16:05:51 Auto-unpacking C:\Servers\10g_extended1012\j2ee\home\application-autodeploy\anpr2\anpr.war… done.
    06/02/22 16:06:13 Auto-deploying anpr2 (Assembly had been updated)…
    06/02/22 16:06:13 Auto-deploying anpr (Assembly had been updated)…
    06/02/22 16:06:47 Error: null
    06/02/22 16:06:47 Errors parsing jar:file:/C:/Servers/10g_extended1012/j2ee/home/application-autodeploy/anpr2/anpr/WEB-INF/lib/standard.jar!/META-INF/fn.tld
    06/02/22 16:06:47 Errors parsing jar:file:/C:/Servers/10g_extended1012/j2ee/home/application-autodeploy/anpr2/anpr/WEB-INF/lib/standard.jar!/META-INF/permittedTaglibs.tld
    06/02/22 16:06:47 Errors parsing jar:file:/C:/Servers/10g_extended1012/j2ee/home/application-autodeploy/anpr2/anpr/WEB-INF/lib/standard.jar!/META-INF/scriptfree.tld

The application works fine when deploying from an ant script that I have. I have not seen this error before and I dont think that its a problem with my code.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Scott.

#247187 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Scott, go into the C:/Servers/10g_extended1012/j2ee/home/application-autodeploy/anpr2/anpr/WEB-INF/lib directory and open the standard.jar file with a zip utility like WINZIP, then go into the META-INF directory, do you see fn.tld, permittedTaglibs.tld and scriptfree.tld?

#247244 Reply

gooshy1

@support-rkalla wrote:

Scott, go into the C:/Servers/10g_extended1012/j2ee/home/application-autodeploy/anpr2/anpr/WEB-INF/lib directory and open the standard.jar file with a zip utility like WINZIP, then go into the META-INF directory, do you see fn.tld, permittedTaglibs.tld and scriptfree.tld?

Yes they are present.

#247247 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Odd. Try shutting down the app server, removing your deployment, rebuilding your projects then recreating the deployment THEN restarting the server. Same thing?

#247250 Reply

gooshy1

@support-rkalla wrote:

Odd. Try shutting down the app server, removing your deployment, rebuilding your projects then recreating the deployment THEN restarting the server. Same thing?

Yes the same thing happened.

#247251 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Would you be able to upgrade to 10.1.3 rc3 here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/oc4j/1013/index.html

and see if the problem persists?

#247252 Reply

gooshy1

@support-rkalla wrote:

Would you be able to upgrade to 10.1.3 rc3 here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/oc4j/1013/index.html

and see if the problem persists?

I’ll give it a go and see what happens, however our deployment environment is set in stone at the moment.

#250223 Reply

jimsong

I am doing a deploy packaged archive from my Enterprise Application project as suggested. It hangs at creating the war file.

The same web app deploys to Tomcat in seconds with no problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
Reply To: [Workaround] Deploying to oc4j 10g (10.1.2.0.)

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in