facebook

Building and code change is slow

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

CS Tan
    Participant

We have a Web and EJB project.

It takes about 3 minute for every java code change on the Web project to be tested. Even just a print line. Is there a way to speed this up?

On the EJB project, the code change seem to be deployed for testing immediately. But occasionally, there is a message about hot deploy. And then there is a need to like clean the project.

What is the best practice for development speed.

CS

#673141 Reply

Brian Fernandes

CS,

To be clear, you are talking about making changes while the project is deployed to a running server, and the time it takes for the change to be reflected in the live application, correct? I’m afraid all the time taken there is out of our hands, and dependent on WebSphere. After saving a change, you can look at the the WebSphere server console to see how it is processing the updated code.

One suggestion I have, is to use the in-workspace deployment mode for your WebSphere server, are you using that mode or are you using Classic? This change can make a significant difference to hot deployment times.

#673142 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

Thanks Brian
    I am using the Classic.

What is difference between the Classic and in-workspace. Most important for us is whether it will affect the creation of the EAR file for deployment to production or when synchronizing codes to CVS/Bitbucket. If all it does is to speed up coding and testing. Sounds like something we can do. Let me know the impact.

CS

#673144 Reply

Brian Fernandes

CS,

The core difference is that classic will copy resources to the server’s deployment location – this can take time, depending on how large your project is. With in-workspace on the other hand, the server references resources that are in your workspace itself, and the copy operation is avoided (as far as is possible, it is still required in some cases).

Since these are deployment modes, they will not affect EAR creation, which is based on your project’s deployment assembly configuration. There is no change to project structure, and while there may be additional files created in the project folder, these will be marked as derived and automatically excluded from your version control repositories.

Please try this mode and let us know how it goes.

#673253 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

I tried this:
    – click on in-workspace
    – save
    – Clean (redeploy)
    – There is a dialog saying “Operation Failed. See Error Log view for details.

– Tried to add our shared library (Enterprise Applications > Myapp > Shared library references). No option to save.

#673258 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

I repeated the above with a new checkout and new build but on in-workspace. Same problems

Then I repeated with Classic. It is ok.

So I am not able to try out in-workspace.

CS

#673262 Reply

Brian Fernandes

CS,

Can you send us the error log? Might explain what is going wrong with the in-workspace deployment. It may take a few tweaks to get right, but most projects are typically deployable with this mode too.

#673269 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

Can you show me where I can find the error log that you need.

#673291 Reply

Brian Fernandes

CS,

It’s the normal workspace error log. You can find it at [workspace_location]/.metadata/.log

#673294 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

Thanks Brian. Please see the attached. Hope it helps.

#673295 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

Trying the attachment again.

#673307 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

I hope works.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #673309 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

Finally!

#673453 Reply

support-swapna

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for the log file.
    There seem to be some connection issues with the default IPC protocol for the Websphere.

Can you please try switching to SOAP protocol instead of IPC and check if it helps? You can change it from the Advanced server settings section in the server overview page. Remove all deployments before making the change.

If the issue persists, then please share the latest log file once again.

Please let us know how this works for you.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#673556 Reply

CS Tan
    Participant

There is no error now. But the following problem came when we tried to run our wsadmin script to add shared library.

WASX7017E: Exception received while running file “deploy_shared_lib.py”; exception information: com.ibm.ws.scripting.ScriptingException: WASX7109E: Insufficient data for install task “MapWebModToVH

ADMA0010E: Validation error in task Selecting virtual hosts for Web modules. A virtual host is not specified for web module BelsizeWeb with URI BelsizeWeb.war,WEB-INF/web.xml.”

When I tried to add it manually, there there is no “OK” button to add. There is also a problem mapping to module. The Web Module only have server1 mapped to it. When we deploy EAR file manually, we map server1 and webserver1.

Attached here the log file.

CS

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
Reply To: Building and code change is slow

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in