facebook

CodeMix/Eclipse doesn't realise a file has changed?

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

davidhedley
    Participant

I have noticed a concerning bug in CodeMix/Eclipse. It would appear the CodeMix editor (the CSS editor in my specific case) hasn’t realised its file has changed and thus doesn’t update itself, and then gets itself into a confused state. Example of this:

1. Open a file in the CodeMix CSS editor
    2. Update the file (e.g. SVN update using Subclipse, or from a “Compare With..” comparison where you incorporate changes from another version)
    3. Switch back the CodeMix editor
    4. Nothing changes in the editor to reflect the changes to the underlying file.
    5. Trying to save the file in the editor then flags an error about the file on disk being newer. (It does have a “Compare” option which seems to do nothing)

At this point CodeMix gets really confused. Even if I close the editor (without saving) and try to reload the file and then save the file, CodeMix insists the file on disk is newer and makes the editor session read-only. There appears to be no way to fix this situation apart from restarting Eclipse.

Is this known issue?

#613901 Reply

support-swapna

David,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Thank you for the detailed steps.
    I tried to replicate the problem with the compare editor in step 2 and do not see the reported issue.

Can you please give us some more details?

1. Can you please clarify if the issue occurs only for files opened which contain unsaved changes?

2. Please share with us the workspace log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log. If possible, delete the contents of the log file, restart the IDE, replicate the problem and share the log file (save it as txt file and attach it) to help us get a fresh one.

3.Please enable debugging for codemix engine and send us the log after replicating the problem. To enable debugging, add the below entry to your configuration/config.ini file under your Eclipse installation area and then restart Eclipse :
    com.genuitec.eclipse.engine.log=true

The debug log will be created in <user.home>/.codemix/. Please share that file with us.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#614036 Reply

davidhedley
    Participant

1. No the issue happens all the time.
    2. eclipse .log file attached
    3. File attached

Having done a bit of testing I am getting differing results.

If I open a CSS file in the CodeMix editor and then open the same CSS file in the standard Eclipse editor and make changes in one editor and switch to the other I see the following:

1. Making changes in the CodeMix editor, saving, and switching to the Eclipse editor always produces the correct behaviour, i.e. if the file in the Eclipse editor hasn’t changed it will automatically update to reflect the changes in the CodeMix editor. If I have also changed in the Eclipse editor, it will prompt saying the file on disk has changed and do I want to replace the version in the editor

2. Making changes in the Eclipse editor, saving, and switching to the CodeMix editor never produces the correct behaviour. Any of the following will happen:

2.1. The CodeMix editor will not realise the file has changed, not update itself and allow me to continue editing the document in that window and when I save it will overwrite the file on disk without prompting, thus losing any changes made outside the editor
    2.2. The CodeMix editor will not realise the file has changed, not update itself and allow me to continue editing the document in that window and when I save it will prompt that the file has changed on disk, but there is then no way of saving the document. If I close the CodeMix editor screen it prompts me to save the contents. If I select “Save”, it then doesn’t save and just quits the editor, losing any changes I have made in that window
    2.3. The behaviour I reported in the original posting where CodeMix gets confused and I have to restart Eclipse to fix it.

Can you test this yourself? Just open the same file in the CodeMix editor and the standard editor, make changes in one and switch to the other and see what happens?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #614050 Reply

support-swapna

David,

Thank you for the detailed notes and the logs.
    I am afraid I could not replicate the problem with a simple css file at my end.
    Your log has some errors and I have asked the dev team to look into them. We will get back to you soon with our findings.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: CodeMix/Eclipse doesn't realise a file has changed?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in