facebook

CodeMix Hangs During Find/Replace

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bucpatr
    Participant

Since my eclipse installation switched to the latest version of CodeMix, I have been having issues with doing find/replace operations on an xml file. If I select a block of text and do a ‘replace all’ on the selected text the process will eventually hang before completing the operation. If I try to close and re-open eclipse, I get a message saying the workspace is still in use, forcing me to manually kill eclipse or restart the machine. The selection I’m dealing with is only around 2000 lines with 1 expected replacement per line. Is this a bug, or am I just doing something wrong?

My environment:
    Ubuntu 16.04 (virtual box)
    Eclipse Neon 4.6.3
    CodeMix 2.1.0

Java Dump (jcmd)
    16241 sun.tools.jcmd.JCmd -l 13317
    13317 /usr/local/eclipse/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.201.v20161025-1711.jar -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -showsplash -launcher /usr/local/eclipse/eclipse/eclipse -name Eclipse –launcher.library /home/pbuchheit/.p2/pool/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.401.v20161122-1740/eclipse_1618.so -startup /usr/local/eclipse/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.201.v20161025-1711.jar –launcher.appendVmargs -exitdata 21800e -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product -vm /opt/java/versions/jdk1.8.0_121/jre/bin/java -vmargs -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8 -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UseStringDeduplication -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8 -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Declipse.p2.max.threads=10 -Doomph.update.url=http://download.eclipse.org/oomph/updates/milestone/latest -Doomph.redirection.index.redirection=index:/->http://git.eclipse.org/c/oomph/org.eclipse.oomph.git/plain/setups/ -Duser.dir=/usr/local/eclipse/eclipse -jar /usr/local/eclipse/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher

#606025 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

bucpatr,

I’ve been unable to replicate the problem with an arbitrary large XML file, so there may be something specific to your project.

To rule out some plugin cache corruption, could you try launching eclipse once with the -clean option. This can be done either by adding -clean on its own line at the top of your eclipse.ini file or by executing the eclipse command in a terminal as eclipse -clean. If this doesn’t help, try launching against a fresh workspace and then importing the project where you see the problem and trying again.

If this is still happening, can you attach a sample XML file with details of the replacement you tried, to help us replicate the issue? You can always attach it to a private message to me, if you don’t want the XML file to be public. Also, export the error log from the Error Log view, to a text file, and attach that, as it may show some relevant errors.

Sorry for the inconvenience and the problems you’re seeing.

#606282 Reply

bucpatr
    Participant

I was finally able to try your suggestions. Running eclipse with the -clean flag seems to solve the problem, but only temporarily. If I take the clean flag back out the problem returns. Below are my observations when running with and without the flag:

1. When running ‘clean’ the find/replace will only update the view after the operation is complete. When running normally, the view updates in real time as each line is edited.
    2. If I click somewhere in the file while the find/replace is running, the selection is lost and the find/replace will continue replacing after it reaches the end of the original selection. I’m not sure if this happens in ‘clean’ mode since the operation finishes too quickly to try.
    3. There are no additional errors while actually running the find/replace but there do seem to be errors when launching eclipse. I have attached the exported error log below.

I will PM you with an example file when I get a chance.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by bucpatr.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #606334 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

bucpatr,

It’s strange that the clean option would appear to have that effect. The log file only contains messages for a single session so doesn’t appear to contain any relevant information, either for the hang that you saw or for the different replace behaviors that you see with and without the clean option. Is it possible for you to replicate the hang and the different replace behaviors and then send the full log that includes those various sessions? It might contain information which will help us investigate.

Thanks for the sample file. Unfortunately, I don’t see the issue with that. Did you replicate the problem with that sample file and the change you mentioned (the selection was only 142 lines, not the 2000 you mentioned in the opening post)? If so, it may be related to the type of project it is in (some other background process may be kicking off as each change is made); what is the type of project that includes the XML file?

#606340 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

bucpatr,

If you also have our DevStyle plugin installed then you can ignore my last reply as I’ve managed to replicate the problem with DevStyle installed and when using DevStyle’s inline search. Unfortunately, turning off the inline search raises another issue with the standard eclipse find/replace dialog so the only workaround, until we fix this, is to remove DevStyle (or open the file in a non-CodeMix editor, though you then lose the benefits of CodeMix). Having said that, we will continue to look at this and may come up with another way to get round this before the fix is available.

Sorry for the trouble this is causing and thanks for reporting the problem. Of course, if you don’t have DevStyle installed, then let us know, as this would indicate a different error.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by support-tony.
    #606346 Reply

bucpatr
    Participant

I do actually have DevStyle installed, so I suspect that is the problem. I’ll try removing DevStyle for now and see if that helps. Thanks for the assistance so far.

#608993 Reply

support-swapna

bucpatr,

Our latest release, CodeMix 3.0 is out with the fix for the Find/Replace problem you are seeing with DevStyle installed. Please update to the latest CodeMix version and let us know if you are still experiencing the hang.

Appreciate your feedback.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: CodeMix Hangs During Find/Replace

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in