facebook

CodeMix heavy resource usage

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

davidhedley
    Participant

I am running CodeMix with Eclipse 2019-03 (Windows 10) to help with JavaScript and CSS development. Since installing it I am seeing that CodeMix is routinely requiring 500+MB of RAM and often seems to be using the CPU constanstly.

e.g. I have Eclipse open with no files open in editors, no projects open, no builds etc in progress, in fact nothing going on at all, and yet CodeMix is taking over 600MB of RAM and a constant 30% of CPU.

What is it doing?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #613582 Reply

Aaron Lara

David, I’m sorry you are having issues with CodeMix. CodeMix usually do not consume too much ram or CPU, specially if it’s idle. We have improved performance in latest versionsm, what version of CodeMix are you using? It would be much easier to inspect what is CodeMix doing via Live Chat. You can open a live chat by going to Help > CodeMix > Live Chat....

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#613602 Reply

davidhedley
    Participant

CodeMix is version 2019.4.11

Looking at the CodeMix processes it seems that even when Eclipse is completely idle CodeMix seems to be piping around 25K/s of data from one CodeMix process to another. Is this normal?

I will disable all the installed extensions and see if that changes things

#613603 Reply

davidhedley
    Participant

So I have disabled all extensions, closed all files and all projects and restarted Eclipse. Even in this state where absolutely nothing is loaded, opened or going on, CodeMix is using nearly 400MB of RAM across 9 processes and still continuously writing 25K/s to itself.

Is this the expected behaviour?

#613613 Reply

support-swapna

David,

Thank you for reporting your findings. Having 9 processes running isn’t bad by default.
    Can you please let us know how you are measuring the usage?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#613891 Reply

davidhedley
    Participant

I am just looking at the Windows Task Manager process view.

It’s isn’t a huge problem for me right now, but I’m just surprised at how much resource it seems to require for what I’m using it for (some Javascript and CSS editing/formatting) and that it seems to be continuously running even when I don’t think it should be doing anything at all.

You haven’t answered my question about whether this level of resource usage is normal so I guess you are saying it is? And that it is normal for the processes to be continuosly writing data to each other even when the system is otherwise completely idle?

#613902 Reply

support-swapna

David,

The level of resource usage looks normal. I have escalated this concern to the dev team and they are looking into it.
    You will hear from them soon about the resource usage.

Thank you for your patience.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#615328 Reply

Kasper
    Participant

I am having the same issue. Each morning when I enter the office I can hear my laptop CPU fan running at high rpms. This is because of the codemix eclipse plugin using 15% CPU per eclipse instance and I usually have 2+ eclipse instances open.
    What does it need CPU for after a whole night of no work? Surely this can’t be normal behavior!

Attached screenshot of Windows task manager.

If I restart my eclipse, the problem goes away for a while. But after some time of working with eclipse it starts to take up the CPU again.

Eclipse version 2019-03 (Windows 10)
    Codemix version: 3.1.0.201904242040

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Kasper.
    Attachments:
    #615332 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Kasper,

You’re right – especially when idle, this should not be happening. Can you tell us what project types you are working with? Angular, TypeScript, just JavaScript, something else?

Could you also give us a list of your extensions (screenshots would do fine) from the Help > CodeMix Extensions page?

When you next experience the issue, could you hop in to the Live Chat – Help > CodeMix > Live Chat? Our engineers should be able to diagnose this issue live, and hopefully have a better idea of what is going on.

#615335 Reply

Kasper
    Participant

Hi Brian

It is a Typescript/Angular project.

Extensions screenshots attached.

I will use the live chat the next time the issue occurs.

Thanks

Attachments:
    #624671 Reply

mohammedessabri
    Participant

Hi team,

Thank you for the nice tool helping me in my javaScript projects, but it still needs updates.

I have the same problem as mentionned above ( Now we are in 16/09/2019, the tool is installed from eclipse marketplace in 09/09/2019 ).

At the begenning it’s working well, but after sometime, it begins to use much resources ( memory and cpu ), and at the end, eclipse is blocking and i should to restart it.
    But after restarting it, the synchronization of source files content doesn’t works as expected: when I write some thing or delete somthing, the files doesn’t get updated in file system as in eclipse.

Please check the attachement with number of opened files in eclipse, and resource usage ( note that this is at the beginning, but after it becomes more complicated).

Thank you!

Attachments:
    #624673 Reply

support-swapna

Mohammed,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue with CodeMix.
    Can you please reach us via Live Chat (Help > CodeMix > Live Chat)? We have some diagnostic tools available via Live Chat which will help us investigate the performance issues you are seeing.

Let us know if you have any concerns reaching us via Live Chat.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: CodeMix heavy resource usage

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in