facebook

CodeMix Startup

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

myronuecker
    Participant

I have found on occasion (including this morning) that CodeMix doesn’t always work correctly if a CodeMix editor is active when it starts up. For example, the last file I was editing before I closed Eclipse last night was a Typescript file. When I started Eclipse this morning that editor was active but only the first two lines of the file were highlighted. I closed and reopened the file and CodeMix was not working for any of my Typescript files. I closed the file, selected a Java class, and restarted Eclipse. I then opened that same Typescript file and this time CodeMix was working properly.

#588616 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Myron,

I’m assuming the CodeMix engine was connected (blue check bottom left) as you saw these failures?

I will say that found and fixed several such issues early in CodeMix development and haven’t come across them since. So it looks like your session was useless for TypeScript editing, did you happen to try any other CodeMix editors?

Regardless, we’ll try to replicate this internally and see what we can do to fix, thank you for reporting the problem.

#590037 Reply

andrew1x2
    Participant

Hi, I’m not sure where to report this but it’s a consistent issue that is keeping me from installing the CodeMix plugin permanently on my local Eclipse. The problem is stability and namely CPU utilization any time I’ve installed any version of the CodeMix plugin. Eclipse normal runtime CPU is around 1% to 15% when not running major build or compilation tasks. However if I install and run CodeMix – the average CPU utilization os around 30% to 80% consistently, and will fluctuate beyond 100% utilization on OSX, but in general is constant between 30% and 80%. This causes performance issues in Eclipse, and then is a competitive CPU issue when real build or compile operations are in progress. If I uninstall CodeMix – everything is back to normal. I’m thinking this must be a compatibility issue, and I wanted to know if there are known incompatibilities and or if this is normal behavior from the CodeMix plugin as of the most recent build. I’m running the latest version of the Eclipse Oxygen, with the latest version of the CodeMix plugin, and several other relatively standard JEE / Web Development plugins. The Java version is Oracle 1.8 JDK. Thanks!

#590039 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Andrew,

Quite odd! We use it all time during development in-house as well and are not seeing the same sort of behavior. Could you share a little about the type of development you are doing?

If it is easy to reproduce, it would be great if you could take a few jstack -l <pid> stack dumps and zip and share here, or email info@genuitec.com. The stack traces would greatly help us track down what might be incorrectly chewing CPU cycles on your Eclipse install.

Thanks!

#601445 Reply

enochfernandez
    Participant

Dear Andrew,

I would to ask if this issue has been solved, I am facing the same problem with the codemix plugin its using up all my CPU.

#601447 Reply

enochfernandez,

Sorry to hear you are seeing some performance issues with CodeMix. Could you please provide the below details to help us investigate the problem better?

1. your OS/arch details
    2. Eclipse version / package used to install CodeMix
    3. The type of development you are doing – projects in the workspace, files you were editing etc
    4. A jstack dump. Please see timwebb’s response above on how to collect it

Thanks,
    Vatsan

#601449 Reply

enochfernandez
    Participant

Os details
    Mac OS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
    MacBook Pro (13-inch 2017)
    Processor 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3.

I have attached the picture showing the eclipse plugin because I think it is using more than 1 eclipse version. I am using the standalone Angular IDE.

I have also included the dumpfiles, but as at this time i had restarted my Angular IDE so it was stable so dont know if this would be an issue on the information.

Also I first run sudo -u enochfernandez jps -l and it gave me 4 PIS which is also attached as the 2nd screen shot. I did a thread dump for the last 2 PIDs.

I hope this is enough information.

I have rerun stack dump on the Angular IDE. And it is attached in threaddump3

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by enochfernandez.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by enochfernandez. Reason: I found the correct log
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #601455 Reply

enochfernandez,

Thank you for providing all those details. We are investigating right now and we will provide you an update as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,
    Vatsan

#601807 Reply

ignaciom

enochfernandez,

Since the Angular IDE was stable when you took the jstack dump, the provided threaddump logs does not contain enough useful information to diagnose the root of the issue. If you can easily reproduce, Could you do the same when you get on the same state again?

Best Regards
    Ignacio

#601811 Reply

enochfernandez
    Participant

Hey Ignacion can you check threaddump3 the last dump i sent. That was taken when the IDE was hanging and on the right PID.

#601946 Reply

enochfernandez
    Participant

Hello Ignacio,

Were you able to check it out for me? I am still facing the same issue.

#602012 Reply

ignaciom

Hey,

Thanks for the clarification, somehow I missed your message before. From the thread dump I see that there are 10 threads that are actively using the CPU but there is only one that is interesting and is related to CodeMining. Could you try to turn this off and look if there is any change on your system.

1. Go to Eclipse -> Preferences -> CodeMix -> settings -> workspace settings.
    2. In there on the text field type codeLens, you will find typescript and javascript codeLens settings, change the value of those to false.
    3. Close and reopen your editors, keep an eye to the cpu usage.

It will be interesting to know if this make things better on your side.

Best Regards
    Ignacio

#602136 Reply

enochfernandez
    Participant

Hey Ignacio

I turned all codelens instances to false and it seemed to have helped, I am including the threaddump please check it as well and is there any way I could use codelens because i like the VS features it gives.

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #602458 Reply

ignaciom

Hey,

I’m creating an internal PR for our dev team to investigate and provide a fix for this in a near future. We’ll keep you updated on our findings.

Best Regards
    Ignacio

#608994 Reply

support-swapna

Our latest release, CodeMix 3.0 is out with some performance fixes along with the fix for the problem with CodeMix editor which is active when it starts up. Please update and let us know if you are still seeing problems.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: CodeMix Startup

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in