facebook

Darkest Dark issue 2020-09 CDT

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

rlkcpo
    Participant

I just downloaded the most recent version of eclipse and tried installing the Darkest Dark theme. However, all the text boxes, Navigation panes, and several of the consoles are either difficult or impossible to read. The background for the icons also seems to be white as well. Screenshot

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #664742 Reply

support-swapna

rikcpo,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue with Dark theme. Thank you for the screenshot.

1. Can you please let us know how you installed DevStyle? Is it via Eclipse Marketplace or using the update site?
    2. Any other third party plugins installed? If yes, please list them.
    3. Please share with us the OS and version details along with the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log ( rename the extension to .txt and attach it here)
    4. Start the Eclipse IDE with -clean command args, switch to a new workspace and check if the issue persists. To start Eclipse with -clean, you can run this command from command line : eclipse.exe -clean or add -clean as first line to the eclipse.ini file located in the Eclipse installation directory and restart Eclipse. The -clean is a one time flag and can be removed after restarting the IDE.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#664753 Reply

rlkcpo
    Participant

1) I used the eclipse marketplace to install DevStyle and the theme
    2) No other plugins installed
    3) Ubuntu 16.04 LTS .log file attached
    4) I started eclipse with the -clean command and pointed it to a new workspace. This did not solve the issue.

Attachments:
    #664755 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! It looks like you are using Linux with a GTK theme that is not dark friendly. Some of the buttons and other widgets colors come from the system theme in Linux (not controlled by SWT). Switching to a different GTK Theme will make eclipse dark themes look much better.

You can use the Tweak Tool to switch to a theme like Adwaita or any other dark friendly theme.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#664876 Reply

rlkcpo
    Participant

This didnt solve the problem.
    I have used the tweak tool to change every aspect of the Theme and nothing changed the way Eclipse looks from my original attachment.

I tried Ubuntu-mono-dark, Adwaita, as well as several others.

#664892 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! I’m sorry my suggestion didn’t do the trick. So you didn’t see any change after switching the theme? Did you try restarting Eclipse after switching themes?

Also, have you tried with a packaged installation of Eclipse (for a truly Vanilla install)? We have noticed some issues when installing DevStyle on top of an installed based eclipse (as it reuses plugins and artifacts from older installations). Find Eclipse packages here.

Cheers!

#665120 Reply

fabien29200
    Participant

Hi all !

I reproduce the problem.

I am using Oracle JDK 15 on Windows 10.

I have installed Eclipse Java EE from zip then install DevStyle with the Marketplace.
    I tried with the update site with the same result.

In dark mode, the arrows are almost invisible if the mouse is not on top of them.
    The selected text is difficult to read.

Attachments:
    #665137 Reply

support-swapna

fabien29200,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Unfortunately we are still unable to replicate the UI issues at our end.
    We have run several tests including starting with JDK 15 on Windows 10.

1. Can you please clarify if you are on the latest Windows version? One of the users reported that updating Windows fixed it for him.
    2. Also, please check if the UI issues persist with Eclipse Dark theme. You can select ‘Dark’ for Theme here : Window > Preferences > General > Appearance. If possible, please attach a screenshot of how it looks with Eclipse Dark theme.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#665141 Reply

fabien29200
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I run on Windows 10 version 1809 (17763.1457).
    The version of Windows I run is not managed by me.

Here is a screenshot with Eclipse Dark theme (fresh install from the eclipse jee zip, no other plugins).

The problem is here with Eclipse Dark theme too :/

Attachments:
    #665716 Reply

support-swapna

fabien29200,

Thank you for the details and the screenshot.

One of users also reported the same problem with Windows 10 version 1809. Please see his report here.
    At this point, if you cannot update the OS, then the only suggestion is to downgrade the Eclipse version to 2020-06 for better support with dark themes.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#666738 Reply

rlkcpo
    Participant

Still no help here. Im running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Where can I completely remove all eclipse plugins to start fresh? I have tried removing the install folder, the workspace folder, the .eclipse folder in the home directory as well as the .p2 folder. No matter what I try I still end up with the darkest dark package and a truly awful look to eclipse. (2020-06 version btw)

#666742 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello @rlkcpo! I’m sorry you are having issues with DevStyle. You can try downloading a packaged version of Eclipse instead of an installer based one (installer based will reuse your previously installed plugins, which sometimes lead to incompatibility and resolution issues). Have a look here: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#667112 Reply

rlkcpo
    Participant

This is how I have always installed eclipse. I am not using an installer. I have tried both eclipse-cpp-2020-06-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz as well as eclipse-cpp-2020-09-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz. Still no solution.

#667119 Reply

rlkcpo
    Participant

So I also noticed that if I remove the eclipse folder and workbench folder and try and reinstall eclipse that it starts up using the darkest dark theme. So there is a configuration somewhere that is telling it to use that. I need to be able to remove that (I have no access to the marketplace). A

I also cant use eclipse right now as it seems that there is some kind of resource leak that is happening because of this plugin. I am attaching the .log file

Attachments:
    #667121 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thanks for the extra information! Does this happen even if you try to use a new workspace directory during launch? Also, this sounds like oomph is trying to reapply your older plugin properties. You can try removing all the directories under ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.* and ~/.p2/pool/*.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Darkest Dark issue 2020-09 CDT

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in