facebook

Eclipse 3.1M5 compatibility…?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Eclipse News
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

snpe

m6 is API freeze release and it is the best that ME work with M6

regards

#227589 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is our plan for 4.0. I’m sure we will roll out a M6 compatible release during beta for all our 3.1 users to bang on.

#227788 Reply

Dan Morrow

I need a version of MyEclipse that runs on M5 because I am interested in using the “Eclipse Web Tools Platform” which only runs on M5. Come on! You’re only one digit away! Please reconsider your anti M5 stance. Thanks.

#227791 Reply

Riyad Kalla

No M5 compatible release will be made, a M6 compatible one is getting ready to be released in the next few days.

MyEclipse builds ONTOP of WTP, trying to use WTP and MyEclipse side by side will not work well. It would be a lot like trying to use Windows 2000 and Windows XP at the same time, you can’t, one builds ontop of the other.

#227809 Reply

Dan Morrow

@support-rkalla wrote:

No M5 compatible release will be made, a M6 compatible one is getting ready to be released in the next few days.

MyEclipse builds ONTOP of WTP, trying to use WTP and MyEclipse side by side will not work well. It would be a lot like trying to use Windows 2000 and Windows XP at the same time, you can’t, one builds ontop of the other.

Um, OK. But here’s the thing. The reason I’m interested in MyEclipse is because it can easily browse a database, and create Hibernate classes. The reason I’m interested in WTP is because it knows about Web Services (you can point it to a WSDL file, and it will generate stub code). And you can create new Web Services, and generate new WSDLs, etc.

So, basically I’m writing some middleware which acts as a Web Service, and gets it’s data from a database using Hibernate.

Please understand, I’m very new to Eclipse development, (not to mention MyEclipse) and I’m just trying to find the best set of tools for the job. And unfortunately, it looks like the best set of tools are in two places?

Any suggestions about how to proceed would be most helpful.

Thanks,
    -Dan.

#227810 Reply

Riyad Kalla

WTP is because it knows about Web Services (you can point it to a WSDL file, and it will generate stub code). And you can create new Web Services, and generate new WSDLs, etc.

Aye, we are hoping to get web services into our 4.0 release, if not it will be in the 4.1 release immediately following up. Sorry for putting you in the position of needing to balance the two right now. It is an unfortunate prerequisite but because MyEclipse builds on WTP (just like it is built ontop of Eclipse) if you swap out incompatible versions of WTP out from under MyEclipse, you will start getting exceptions galore, broken editors, “Cannot create Part” business and a whole slew of problems. This issue will more than go away once WTP stabalizes and we pull up more inline with it’s production releases, but now during the pre-1.0 cycles it’s a bit of a cat and mouse game, which is why the versions are so sensative.

Any suggestions about how to proceed would be most helpful.

Hang in there, we are headed towards where you need us to be very quickly and appologize for the inconvenience.

#227814 Reply

Nabil Suleiman
    Participant

Eclipse M* are development releases and are not meant for production use (big API changes, bugs, etc between M releases) it’s up to tools providers to support any milestone release from eclipse. MyEclipse guys are hard at work on the 4.0 release, that from the look at the roadmap, will have WS support, and I would assume it will make use of the Web Tools Proj. so it might worth the wait for a while or keeping up with 2 dev. envs for a while. I would also assume that Web Tools will be ported to the M6 release soon (hopfully ?) and you may ( or may not, since editors from Web Tools may conflict with editors from MyEclipse) be able to use with MyEclipse with it.

The bootom line, the M5 isn’t going to be around for long as new Ms are released, you shouldn’t, ideally, be basing your production on an M release, if you do, try seperating modules that depend on an M from ones that depend on MyEclipse/Eclipse stable release.

Good luck with your development and welcome to the Eclipse/MyEclipse camp 🙂

edit: p.s., what rkalla said!

#227822 Reply

snpe

Nabil,
    I don’t agree – I work with eclipse 3.1 from m3 and it is very stable (I have no one crash)
    The main advantage is java 5.0 (annotation, generic, etc).I will not return to java 1.4 and I try/work ME with 3.1 only

regards

#227823 Reply

Nabil Suleiman
    Participant

it’s a mileston release, it’s a product in development no matter how stable it might be, it shouldn’t be used for production. Things change and most people can’t afford losing time migrating/patching/fixing code. By most people I mean 3rd-party plug-in providers liek MyEclipse. M6 is API freeze, that’s why it would make sense for MyEclipse to be ported to it, not much will change from now on.

my 2 cents

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Eclipse 3.1M5 compatibility…?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in