facebook

Mobi One – Bye Bye

1. MobiOne Archive
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help – General
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Paul_paul
    Participant

Not happy about this announcement at all, what a rip off. M1 will die at the end of this year. Absolute disgrace.

#352009 Reply

Code_A

Disappointing for sure. Hate to see development stopped on such a great product. Would rather see a change in pricing to keep it alive.

#352012 Reply

Paul_paul
    Participant

The are saying its because of the change to Cordova 3.5.1. Pretty lame excuse really. This decision must have been made months ago, long before Google sent out the security risk emails.

#352013 Reply

TheThirdMan

It’s clear that Tim Webb and Wayne Parrot don’t give a crap about users. This is how the scam works:

1. Build a product for the masses.
    2. Cash in
    3. Use cash to build product for professional programmers
    4. Discontinue product for the masses. What’s the worst they can do? Post comments on a forum? We’ll delete this forum soon enough. What about product support? Yeah, just run down the clock.

A few days ago, Wayne tweeted a picture of his business card. I suggest you all phone him and express your displeasure. I plan to!

#352015 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

stickleback & Code A,

We completely understand your pain. As has likely been evidenced by various forum discussions over the past months (if not year), it has become untenable to continue MobiOne.

When we first sat down to do MobiOne, the landscape for mobile devices was very different from today. Whether looking at the device technologies themselves, or the the number of robust frameworks that have been developed, MobiOne’s approach to mobile app creation no longer makes sense.

There have been numerous architectural challenges such as the changes in the iOS 7 layout system or the more recent Cordova 3.5.1 changes in the App Store. In addition, maintaining a widget library that works with a pixel-precision that we tried for in MobiOne is increasingly difficult across the array of new and old OSs that are running.

When you couple the challenges together with the fact that there are outstanding other frameworks like jQuery Mobile, AngularJS, and Sencha, maintaining our own framework no longer makes sense. We analyzed many options over the past months looking for a way to save MobiOne and unfortunately have come up without any viable options.

For another perspective, our own user base has also encountered the similar restrictions, and found benefits in other ways of approaching mobile, just like we have. From a metrics perspective, the number of mobile builds done via MobiOne is less than a tenth of what it used to be.

We are so happy to have been able to build and provide MobiOne over the years, and we know how hard it is to say good bye. We thank you for your dedication to MobiOne and will be providing more notes soon on how to more easily build with more recent versions of PhoneGap/Cordova and other migration mitigation strategies.

We thank you for your understanding and hope we can continue to help you down the line. GapDebug for instance brings the same simplicity to mobile debugging that MobiOne did to creating a mobile app. And in this case, we’ve built it in a way we can reliably support in the long run.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and we deeply appreciate your passion for wanting to see MobiOne survive.

#352016 Reply

TheThirdMan

Translation: Thanks for your money, now f-off.

People are pissed off for a number of reasons:

The first being Genuitec’s complete lack of transparency! Suddenly, some dude named Tim Webb axes the product. (Are we supposed to know who you are? You never introduced yourself.) Genuitec has not been forthcoming or honest with its Mobione userbase for a long time. Support personnel have been clearly deceptive for a while; masters of deflection.

Second, there is NO transition path to MyEclypse. Today, I cannot even open any of my Mobione apps (and I have 9!) in MyEclpyse. I’m stuck with a ton of code and products going nowhere. Don’t be surpised if you get sued by someone.

All we, the users, want is a migration path. You offer none. Who in their right mind wants to start over completely? Some businesses rely on Mobione! I don’t want your understanding and heartbreak. I want a clear transition path from one to the other. I want a visual designer in MyEclypse.

#352017 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

XX-Man,

You are absolutely correct that the migration path is still troublesome. And we have multiple folks working on making the migration path significantly easier. While it may sound hollow to say it, you will see from the support provided over the next couple weeks the investment we are continuing to make to facilitate matters. We are actively making changes in MyEclipse 2015 to work better with MobiOne projects, working simultaneously with the PhoneGap plugin to get it into the right catalogs to facilitate migration (we can’t work in isolation any more), and writing up steps to facilitate.

All that said, I certainly respect your opinion.

Wayne was caught up in Jury Duty the last few days and will be syncing back with you all shortly. While end of life-ing a popular product is tough, so is allowing new people to continue purchasing it when we know we have exhausted all options.

Between now and the EOL, we’ll be working together, and providing multiple ways to assist the transition.

I look forward to a few weeks from now when you can look back and see that our dedication to supporting our users has not waned.

Tim

(Director, Innovation at Genuitec)

#352018 Reply

TheThirdMan

Honestly, you’re not properly incentivized to support low-end users. Your myEclpyse product is not only a larger revenue stream, but also more in line with your own interests as professional programmers. So, you have both the financial and “fluffy” incentives to kill Mobione as quickly as practicable. As someone with 9 apps on iTunes and 2 on GooglePlay (all made with Mobione), I don’t think it will be a smooth transition. Without things like a map widget, or easily available on-click actions, my transition is going to be an absolute nightmare! Even providing the widgets as art would be useful. The current MyEclypse templates are a mess. Frankly, I’m giving the Apple SDK a second look and thinking of killing the Android apps.

#352019 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Without things like a map widget, or easily available on-click actions, my transition is going to be an absolute nightmare! Even providing the widgets as art would be useful. The current MyEclypse templates are a mess.

XX-Man, those details are very helpful. I’m sure we can at a minimum get you the widgets as art, though let’s sync with Wayne and team tomorrow and get more details. We brought in a new person to help further accelerate the migration plans — originally we had been shooting for having the migration tutorial ready for CI 6 of MyEclipse that was just released, but there were a few more complications when it comes to getting the cordova/phonegap plugin correctly setup to facilitate projects continuing to function.

If you have other specific issues related to migration, please also include those. As we’re actively in the heat of that migration path, the more details the better. Wayne or Brandon will provide details ASAP on any you raise.

Tim

#352020 Reply

Paul_paul
    Participant

Why is it not possible to leave M1 as it is now for those who only require the basics, not everyone wants or needs to upgrade to a code based platform. All you would need to do is keep the build feature going and I’m sure it would keep a lot of people happy. Unless of course the real reason is you want more money. Those that have paid for this software and have apps in various app stores will now lose the ability to upgrade those apps. They will now lose revenue and trade because of your actions and I am doubting the legality of this in a court of law.

#352021 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

stickleback,

You can absolutely continue to use the front-end of MobiOne as you purchased a perpetual license. Regarding the build service, the challenge we’re running into is that there are a lot of changes happening in that space. One of the mitigation paths we’re looking at is steps on how you can run the PhoneGap / Cordova CLI to build your MobiOne projects — yes, one path includes using MyEclipse, but in no way do we require you to use our build services to build your projects.

PhoneGap Build online for remote builds or using the CLI for Cordova or PhoneGap locally will both also allow you to continue using MobiOne to do basic app creation at the level of capability that MobiOne has today. And yes, we’re writing up steps to help guide you in that process.

Tim

#352024 Reply

ozchasers

I purchased MobiOne only a few weeks ago, so my $99 was spent on software that I can’t even use now.

Do I get my money back?

#352025 Reply

Paul_paul
    Participant

Good question, maybe we should all get our money back! It’s a disgrace that they even sold you the software as they knew it was being retired. Reminds me of the way companies take money right up to the day before they go out of business. Like they didn’t know!

#352026 Reply

ozchasers

I had to chase after the licence too, never got an email from them after I paid for it. It wasn’t until I emailed them asking for a licence that they sent it to me.

#352048 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

cpmedia, et. al.,

If you have recently purchased MobiOne or generally have questions, you can certainly call us or contact us at sales (at) genuitec.com

Tim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
Reply To: Mobi One – Bye Bye

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in