facebook

Please add support for J6 EE

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

support-tony
    Keymaster

OK, Tony. In that case, I’m stumped, especially as I just tried it on Win 7 64 bit with only JDK 7 installed, and had no problem. This would be one for the pulse team.

However, the release 10 installer is there now, so go for it!

#320873 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant
    #320895 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Tony,

That’s unfortunate. Thanks for posting on the JBoss forum; I see that one of the respondents intends to contribute here, which would be useful. I tried adding a .skipdeploy marker file manually (as mentioned here), but JBoss didn’t seem to honor it (I just added an index.jsp.skipdeploy file to a default Web Application); JBoss undeployed and redeployed the application when I changed the JSP.

However, I think you need more than just html page changes not triggering a redeploy. For example changes to Java code (apart from method signature changes) shouldn’t trigger a redeploy, only a re-load of the class file. I don’t think marker files can help there.

I’ll pass this on to development to see if they can help.

#320898 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

@support-tony wrote:

I’ll pass this on to development to see if they can help.

This is great;
    The JBoss guys are willing to help; we need the developers there and the JBoss guys to talk.

Should not take long and may give MyEclipse a competitive edge as a by-product!

#320973 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

Be great to hear that JBoss and MyEclipse have talked and sorted this out.
    Any updates?

#320985 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Tony,

I just checked with my team and we have the manual deployment mode working. The preference page where you configure JBoss 7 will now allow you to choose whether you would like to keep the existing auto deployment behavior too.

Do you have any other problems with JBoss 7 that need attention?

I’m planning to release this as as an update to MyEclipse 10 near the end of next week on our milestone stream. There will be online installers for this stream and if you already have a base MyEclipse 10 install, running this installer will result in a minimal additional download which will download only the changed plugins.

#320995 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

Hi Joy,

I just checked with my team and we have the manual deployment mode working. The preference page where you configure JBoss 7 will now allow you to choose whether you would like to keep the existing auto deployment behavior too.

A little confused as to your terminology… hopefully we are on the same page…

manual deployment mode

I had no problem with what I believe was manual deployment working before ! I will take your work for the fact a bug has been cleared.

whether you would like to keep the existing auto deployment behavior too

The discussions in forums with JBoss indicated they had put in specific capability for “exploded deployment” for JBoss 7 over and above what has ever been available before.

Please can you confirm that the process as described here:
    http://community.jboss.org/thread/174488
    will work and your developers have tested changing code (xhtml and java source) and seen that the application is not re-deployed etc.
    I did provide an example project for them to play with.

I still expect that changing a method signature willl cause JBoss to die and require a re-start but, as JBoss developers have said, they have added a LOT of hooks in so it may not… I am sure they have learnt a lot from doing support for JRebel etc.

I look forward to having a chance to see how well the integration works.

X Cross posted to JBoss AS 7 Forums

#321005 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Tony,

To clarify, the deployment was working, but each change would cause your app to restart because of the forced auto-deploy setting in the configuration file. With the modifications we have made now, you can:

a) Continue to keep this behavior

b) Turn the auto-deploy setting off on our preference page (it will be off by default) and here JBoss will not restart the app for changes to resources and class files. This has been tested & I believe we are using additional metadata (that has been referenced in the JBoss thread) to achieve the right behavior here.

I will let you know when a build with this fix is publicly available; appreciate your support.

#321008 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Great support.

I am keen to get it to test.

Thx.

#321234 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

@Support-Brian wrote:

Tony,

b) Turn the auto-deploy setting off on our preference page (it will be off by default) and here JBoss will not restart the app for changes to resources and class files. This has been tested

Great; I am looking forward to doing that…

@Support-Brian wrote:

I believe we are using additional metadata (that has been referenced in the JBoss thread) to achieve the right behavior here.

It is quite sad that developers really DON’T talk to each other.
    The JBoss guys have said they have added numerous things into JBoss7 to support the IDE writers… and from that comment your development team has figured out what they are…. Why not TALK to them and give MyEclipse an edge?

@Support-Brian wrote:

I will let you know when a build with this fix is publicly available; appreciate your support.

Is there a date for this…
    I keep checking and no updates appear and you are silent on the matter.

#321256 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Tony,

10.0.1 is now available for you to test; please see this link for further details on fixes and how to get it. I hope this addresses your issues. If not, let us know and we’ll continue to work on it with you. If it does work but you have a “but I wish you could do xyz too” request, let us know and we can try to implement it, if viable.

It is quite sad that developers really DON’T talk to each other.

I agree; all I can say is that we are moving in this direction now and attempting to provide superlative support, especially when driven by specific customer need.

Is there a date for this…
    I keep checking and no updates appear and you are silent on the matter.

It is hard to set dates with a milestone release as the target changes given issues we see with MyEclipse in everyday use. The aim, however, is to provide an update as soon as is possible, irrespective of the number of fixes. This is why I mentioned earlier that I would let you know when a build was available – if you are subscribed to this thread you should be automatically notified when an update is posted without having to come back here and check repeatedly. Do you have any alternative or additional suggestions on how communication could be improved?

#321599 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

It seems to work well apart from when I have to restart the JBoss7 server.

Things like updates to messages.properties need a server restart to be picked when they have changed; but when the server is simply restarted using MyEclipse then it does not tell JBoss7 to do a “proper deploy”.

I suspect that the .dodeploy is not being added on the server deploy area on re/start so JBoss is not forced to do a full re-deploy.

If the guys can hack this in then it would be super great as it’s not that often you want NOT to do a full deploy when the server starts from within MyEclipse.

#321603 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

Another problem (probably mine!) is that I am getting reports of missing Jars when they are no-where to be found in my project.
    Yes I did add them; but have removed them since.. but MyEclipse is claiming I have not :O
    Screeny attached…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #321605 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

Found no refs in the .files (project, classpath) etc.
    I deleted all libraries and re-added.
    Closed all other projects.
    Now the problem has gone away… including a few other strange problems that seems to come from non-existent libraries hanging about (possibly from other projects).

#321606 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

This however is still a problem (minor niggle)

@balanceofpower wrote:

It seems to work well apart from when I have to restart the JBoss7 server.

Things like updates to messages.properties need a server restart to be picked when they have changed; but when the server is simply restarted using MyEclipse then it does not tell JBoss7 to do a “proper deploy”.

I suspect that the .dodeploy is not being added on the server deploy area on re/start so JBoss is not forced to do a full re-deploy.

If the guys can hack this in then it would be super great as it’s not that often you want NOT to do a full deploy when the server starts from within MyEclipse.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
Reply To: Please add support for J6 EE

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in