facebook

Please add support for J6 EE

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

support-tony
    Keymaster

Tony,

Thanks for your observations; we have someone looking at them now.

I’m glad you’ve managed to pare the problems down to a “minor niggle”. It looks like we’re getting there!

#321645 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Tony,

Glad we are moving along. Not quite sure I understand your request regarding deployment.

When you make a change in the properties file, MyEclipse will push the changed file to the server. Since your application will not react to this as expected, you will be forced to restart the server. At this point the server should re-load your application from the deployed location – which now does contain the updated properties file and you should be all set. Redeploying the application should not be necessary.

Can you please elaborate?

#323444 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

Ok, I have exploded deployment working great (even in a maven setup on another project which pleasantly surprised me!) and as requested I was asked to report back and problems I found.

Here goes:

1. Debug of files that I update is FUBAR.. It is like the code debugger seems to still keep the old line numbers… the only way to clear this is to stop the server and restart; which sort of defeats the point of exploded deployment… I should be coding for hours before doing a sever restart. Works fine with XHTML and EL line reporting it seems.

2. In another project on Tomcat I use exploded deployment and quite often have to go into webapps and remove files that have “leaked out” of my project into the webapps directory.

Java development projects in Both Spring and CDI.
    Build id: 10.0-20111028
    +SVN, Git

#323445 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

1. Debug of files that I update is FUBAR.. It is like the code debugger seems to still keep the old line numbers… the only way to clear this is to stop the server and restart; which sort of defeats the point of exploded deployment… I should be coding for hours before doing a sever restart. Works fine with XHTML and EL line reporting it seems.

This might be JUST the Maven laid out project.. I will try to find out.

#323446 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

Glad we are moving along. Not quite sure I understand your request regarding deployment.

When you make a change in the properties file, MyEclipse will push the changed file to the server. Since your application will not react to this as expected, you will be forced to restart the server. At this point the server should re-load your application from the deployed location – which now does contain the updated properties file and you should be all set. Redeploying the application should not be necessary.

Can you please elaborate?

It was promised some time back that you could do a hot deploy but pick a “template” (i.e. which packages/jars to omit/include or whatever when you exploded deploy).. making testing easy without a need for a build/deploy script as you just pick a template at exploded deployment time and either are in test config or not…

What you say about properties files is what I find; I can live with that; Its not like you change them THAT often and seeing ???some_lable??? on the screen for inl8 is not a big issue as you wait till the next server restart.

#323488 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Tony,

I assume you are still deploying to JBoss 7 and using MyEclipse 10.0.1?

1) Debug issue
    Can you please confirm exactly what files you are updating? Java classes or JSP files, for instance? Also, you do need to start the server in Debug mode for hot synch with classes to work, but I’m sure you are doing that already. Can you confirm that your changes are actually getting to the server (i.e. your application behaves differently, according to the changes you made) but it’s just debugging that is messed up? Please let us know if you figure out if the problem only exists for Maven project or is independent of Maven.

2) Deployment Filters
    If you go to Project Properties > MyEclipse > Deployment Assembly, you can specify what folders in your source map to destinations in your deployed locations. However, this feature is still under development and libraries and containers are not fully supported yet. Would this be sufficient for your present needs?

#323493 Reply

Tony Herstell
    Participant

@Support-Brian wrote:

Tony,

I assume you are still deploying to JBoss 7 and using MyEclipse 10.0.1?

1) Debug issue
    Can you please confirm exactly what files you are updating? Java classes or JSP files, for instance? Also, you do need to start the server in Debug mode for hot synch with classes to work, but I’m sure you are doing that already. Can you confirm that your changes are actually getting to the server (i.e. your application behaves differently, according to the changes you made) but it’s just debugging that is messed up? Please let us know if you figure out if the problem only exists for Maven project or is independent of Maven.

2) Deployment Filters
    If you go to Project Properties > MyEclipse > Deployment Assembly, you can specify what folders in your source map to destinations in your deployed locations. However, this feature is still under development and libraries and containers are not fully supported yet. Would this be sufficient for your present needs?

Updating Java Classes. Both projects are JSF projects and not that complicated yet.
    I always run in debug mode as its so quick its not a problem.
    The changes do go to the server; as I can see the code stepping over the wrong lines!
    Still working on maven question… had a horse problem last night!

I will wait for the full version of the deployment system as I cant easily switch in/out stubs etc. by selecting a template of groups… Nice to see progress though.

#323540 Reply

i4073
    Participant

I am having the same issue. Actually posted my question before I realize there is already a topic on this. See https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/jboss-7-redeploy-on-code-change/

Will be following this topic closely.

#323629 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Tony,

Thanks for the info, we’ll test with JSF projects and JBoss 7; if you find any additional information, do pass it along.

i4073, we responded to your other thread.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
Reply To: Please add support for J6 EE

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in