facebook

Proper Upgrade / Installation of MyEclipse

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
  • Author

Scott Anderson
    Participant

It looks like your Eclipse install isn’t correct. What build id does it show (Help > About Eclipse Platform)? What other plugins are installed? Did it run correctly before the MyEclipse installation? It looks like it didn’t since this stactrace is straight Eclipse code. How many plugins are in the eclipse plugins directory that begin with org.eclipse.pde.*?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#198713 Reply

jamesbreen37

I have the exact same problem as nagsen. I’ve been using eclipse without issues for a long time, but after installing MyEclipse, I get the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Decorations error when I try to start eclipse (or MyEclipse).

My stats:
    What operating system and version are you running? W2K Server
    What Eclipse version and build id are you using? 2.1.1 (can’t open it to check the build id)
    – Was Eclipse freshly installed for MyEclipse? no
    – If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager? yes, just upgraded everything to 2.1.1 a few days ago and had no problems until now.
    – Are any other external plugins installed? yes
    – How many plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory are like org.eclipse.pde.*? There are 7.
    What MyEclipse version are you using? 2.6.2
    What JDK version are you using to run Eclipse? 1.4.2
    What JDK version are you using to launch your application server? 1.4.2
    What application server are you using? Tomcat 4.1.24, but I don’t think that’s pertinent.
    What steps did you take that resulted in the issue?

Aside from having a bunch of existing plugins, the only other notable thing about my configuration is that I have my workspace in a non-default location. I use the -data flag when starting eclipse to specify the workspace location. So I installed MyEclipse according to all the installation procedures and opened it the first time from the shortcut in the MyEclipse Program Group. It opened fine that time, but of course it wasn’t pointing at my usual workspace. Since I don’t want to recreate all my projects and their myriad classpath settings, I modified the MyEclipse shortcut (which just calls eclipse.exe) to use the -data flag. Running that failed to open eclipse and put the NoClassDefFoundError in the log file. I then tried to open eclipse with the shortcut I used before installing MyEclipse and got the same results. Hoping to restore my previous configuration, I uninstalled MyEclipse. Sadly, I still can’t open eclipse, whether I use my old workspace or the default workspace. I always get the same error. I know you recommned installing MyEclipse on top of a new eclipse installation, but you shouldn’t preclude existing eclipse users from keeping our workspaces.

Any suggestions for repairing my eclipse installation and getting MyEclipse to work? The stack trace from the log file follows.

Jim

!SESSION ———————————————————————-
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 Sep 24, 2003 11:56:09.489
    !MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
    !STACK
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Decorations
    at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.createExecutableExtension(PluginDescriptor.java:138)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.createExecutableExtension(PluginDescriptor.java:167)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:103)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.loaderGetRunnable(InternalPlatform.java:578)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.getRunnable(InternalBootLoader.java:471)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:854)
    at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)

#198726 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

James,

First, I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re having with MyEclipe installation. Let me try running down what isn’t the problem.

Since I don’t want to recreate all my projects and their myriad classpath settings, I modified the MyEclipse shortcut (which just calls eclipse.exe) to use the -data flag.

Your configuration with a workspace in a non-default location is not a problem. I have several of them, configured with the -data flag via an alias, that I use daily for testing MyEclipse.

Running that failed to open eclipse and put the NoClassDefFoundError in the log file. I then tried to open eclipse with the shortcut I used before installing MyEclipse and got the same results.

It makes sense that if you have an error in one place then you have an error in the other since the problem shouldn’t be related to the workspace location.

Sadly, I still can’t open eclipse, whether I use my old workspace or the default workspace.

This one is really troubling. One of the main reasons we install as a product extension, outside the Eclipse installation, is to specifically facilitate this kind of rollback. When MyEclipse installs, its only “touchpoint” with Eclipse is installing a file in the Eclipse ‘links’ folder that points to the MyEclipse installation. Please verify that the ‘links’ folder is now empty. If you’re still having problems, I’d suggest shutting down Eclipse and using the Explorer to move <workspace>/.metadata/.config to another directory, then restarting Eclipse. This will cause Eclipse to lose it’s configuration information and will cause it to rebuild the state from scratch. The reason I suggest moving, rather than deleting the .config directory is simply so you can rollback to it if you decide to.

Please let us know if this restores your initial Eclipse configuration. Once you’re in that state, I *strongly* suggest you conduct your initial tests of MyEclipse on a fresh Eclipse installation, in parallel to your production configuration, since the issue you encountered could be caused by some sort of a plugin interference problem.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#198743 Reply

miguelpayet

Solved it myself … wasn’t using the eclipse sdk but the small distribution

Tried installing MyEclipse 2.6.2, following these instructions to the letter, get no error msgs from the installer, go into MyEclipse, get the msg to process pending installs and accept that, go into the workspace, get the welcome to eclipse and welcome to myeclipse windows, don’t get the preferences/myeclipse preference tab and don’t get the myeclipse perspective. what gives? i open an install/update perspective and see that myeclipse is not properly installed and see some error msgs there about java classes that weren’t loaded.

i’m never online when i try the install.

computer is compaq presario 700 laptop w duron 1.1 mhz and 256 megs ram
    os is windows xp home
    java sdk version is 2.4.1
    eclipse is 2.1.1
    myeclipse is 2.6.2

please help.

#198797 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Solved it myself … wasn’t using the eclipse sdk but the small distribution

That’s a good start. For future reference, if you had provided the full set of environment information that we ask for in the “Posting Guidelines” announcement in this forum, we would have been able to immediately determine the problem. However, you’ve still got an issue with the Eclipse release you’re using. Actally, the SDK is a “small” distribution also. To run MyEclipse, you need the full Eclipse distribution that includes the PDE and everything else. No “smaller” distribution, including the SDK distribution will function properly.

don’t get the preferences/myeclipse preference tab and don’t get the myeclipse perspective. what gives?

If you check the Eclipse log file (<workspace>/.metadata/.log) you’ll probably see an exception stacktrace or two while the environment tried to start up some of the MyEclipse plugins but could not because some of the base Eclipse plugins were not available due to using the SDK release rather than a full one.

There is a link on our downloads page to the latest, complete, Eclipse distributions for your convenience. Please download and install the one for Windows, reinstall MyEclipse on it, and that should do it.

If you have any other questions or problems, please let us know.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#199454 Reply

pmonks

Hey Scott,

Just wondering if the upgrade procedure described above is still the recommended process for upgrading? Is it ok to use the Eclipse Update Manager, or is that to be avoided?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

#199457 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Peter,

The update manager is highly recommended. I believe the full procedure is in the FAQ and covers going either way. But, the update manager is certainly the easiest.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200253 Reply

Marc

I have the same
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Decorations
    error directly after installing MyEclipse. It worked fine before 🙁

#200254 Reply

Marc

move <workspace>/.metadata/.config to another directory, then restarting Eclipse.

deleting <workspace>/.metadata/.config did the trick

#201461 Reply

Chris Parsons
    Participant

Doesn’t work!

When I look for ‘Available Updates’, the only entry I have for your site is

com.genuitec.myeclipse.enterprise_2.6.200

no mention of 2.7 RC2

#201462 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

2.6.200 is 2.7 RC2. We’re reserving 2.7.0 for 2.7 GA and use the .x00 nomenclature for release candidates. Sorry for the confusion.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#204404 Reply

Bud Curtis

– System Setup ——————————-
    Operating System and version: W2K SP4
    Eclipse version: 2.1.2
    Eclipse build id: 200311030802
    Fresh Eclipse install (y/n): YES – I thought
    If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager?
    Other installed external plugins: I used the same folder
    Number of plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory that begin with org.eclipse.pde.*: 10
    org.eclipse.pde.build_2.1.0
    org.eclipse.pde.core_2.1.0
    org.eclipse.pde.core_2.1.2
    org.eclipse.pde.doc.user_2.1.0
    org.eclipse.pde.runtime_2.1.0
    org.eclipse.pde.source_2.1.0
    org.eclipse.pde.source_2.1.2
    org.eclipse.pde.ui_2.1.0
    org.eclipse.pde.ui_2.1.2
    org.eclipse.pde_2.1.0

MyEclipse version: it shows in the Query Settings of the Available Updates com.genuitec.myeclipse.enterprise_2.6.200,
    but I know I installed manually the 2.7 RC2
    Eclipse JDK version: 1.4.2_02
    Application Server JDK version: TomCat 5.0.18 & JBoss 3.2.3
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? N/A

– Message Body ——————————-

This issue is similar to the previous posting. I set up the Query Setting to just look for myEclipse by leaving its box checked. I then press the Search Now button. Eclipse goes off searching. I get the message searching MyEclipse Enterprise, for about 15-30 seconds. It then shows nothing in the Avalable Updates list.

If I turn all the features on and perform the search I do get a list of the 4 current installed Eclipse 2.1.2 components.

I have installed other plugins from the Available updates, but when I follow your instructions to update MyEclipse nothing comes back in the feature list.

The last manual install was successful in installing 2.7 RC2 because I have the STRUTS options available.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get the automated update to work? ❓

#204406 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant
    #204663 Reply

claus.ibsen2

Why does it say on this webpage that it supports Eclipse 3.0 M6 but the installer requires Eclipse 2.1 !!!!!!!!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrr paying money for this product to run on 3.0 and it can not!!!!!!!!!

#204664 Reply

claus.ibsen2

homepage for myeclipse:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-14.html

where it says:

Supported Eclipse
    2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2 & 3.0 M6

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
Reply To: Proper Upgrade / Installation of MyEclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in