facebook

Proper Upgrade / Installation of MyEclipse

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
  • Author

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Thomas,

There’s a new FAQ entry that answers your question here:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=47822#47822

And, a graphic that shows how to set up the required update site available here:
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/installing-myeclipse-2-8-beta-release/

#207451 Reply

formofmind

followed the FAQs that Scott pointed to.
    downloaded 3.7.2 manual install package
    downloaded eclipse3.0M8 pointed to from that page
    set up the dirs and the link file.
    did not work.
    changed \\ to / in the link file and it worked.
    go figure.
    anyway–running fine now.

#216452 Reply

auguste999

I’m trying to move from a working Eclipse M7 with sysdeo to your system with Eclipse 3.0. It’s not going well.

Can you point me to some information about how to debug hot deploy not working? Also how to figure out what the hell is going on with the build/deploy process for a web project – ie. a log? Right now it just fails.

I’m trying an existing project from cvs into a Web Project. It’s got a source directory and a project directory already (the kind with WEB-INF). So I want it to be using the web.xml file that’s in there already. Is there a guide to doing this somewhere. I need to leave the webapp directory as is because other folks in the group use emacs or other editors.

Thanks,
    Josh

#216463 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Josh,
    Lets start from ground zero as trying to work with a broken setup can be a royal PIA.

First I would suggest that you go download Eclipse 3.0.1 SDK (about 85mb) and unzip it somewhere, like C:\Java\eclipse-3.0.1. Then go download MyEclipse 3.8.2 installer, and install it to C:\Java\myeclipse-3.8.2 and point it at your C:\Java\eclipse-3.0.1 installation (that’s the first question the installer asks).

** Use whatever paths you want, preferablly ones without spaces in them

Then I’d suggest firing up Eclipse and making sure everything worked: Do you ahve MyEclipse preferences under Window > Preferences ? Do you see a little ME icon on the Help > About page? Do you have a MyEclipse perspective? etc…

Then go download Tomcat 5.0.28 ZIP (I prefer the ZIP, its easier, unless you want the installer to make the system service) and unzip it to C:\Java\tomcat-5.0.28 (again, no spaces for Tomcat’s sake).

Then go to your Window > Preferneces > MyEclipse > Application Server > Tomcat 5 settings and enable it, then setup the home dir (C:\Java\tomcat-5.0.28) and then click the JDK node under Tomcat 5, then click “Add…” and add a new JDK configuration (NOT a JRE, it has to be a real JDK) and hit OK.

Now you should have a fully configured MyEclipse setup with Tomcat 5 ready to rock. Now you can do a few things:

1) Pull your CVS project as a Java Project and add web Project capabilities to it after wards
    2) Pull your CVS project as a Web Project

Either way should work, just make sure to setup the source and webroot directories correct because MyEclipse will create them if they are not there and it just clutters up the project if you get it wrong. Your webroot dir is the one containing the WEB-INF folder, and your src dir… well that’s self explanatory.

After that you should be cooking with oil. Please let us know if you aren’t, we’ll send you some 😛

#225760 Reply

which web site do I download the registry of MyEclipse?

#225763 Reply

I need the documents about MyEclipse?
    Help me!
    where?
    who tell me ?

#225764 Reply

Riyad Kalla

which web site do I download the registry of MyEclipse?

What do you mean “registry of MyEclipse”?

#239070 Reply

I saw the anouncement for the update 4.0.2GA. I tried to do the procedure Help > Software Updates > Find and Install… >

but the only update site listed is eclipse.org. What is the url for the myeclipse update site?

#239072 Reply
    #239378 Reply

Bruce Petro

Trying to upgrade from 4.0.1GA ro 4.0.2GA — Your download page says this for upgrading existing …

Description: Use o­nly for if upgrading from 4.0.x to current release. To use, download, unzip and point the Eclipse update manager to archive directory.

However, I see no where in the update manager to do anything other than select different site mirrors from which to download. And I don’t see your site there. I have it all upzipped and waiting but don’t see how to do the update till you explain just a bit more.

#239380 Reply

Riyad Kalla

bapetro,
    For future reference you don’t need to download the archived update site, we provide that for network managers, you should have been able to update MyEclipse directly from within Eclipse (Help > Software Updates > Find & Install)

You do the same here, but you point at the unzipped update site instead.

#242213 Reply

wplei

HI scott
    My PC have installded the IBM jdk1.4.2,set the path,java_home,classpath
    when i install the myeclipse3.8.4 or 4.0 or 4.0.3,he tell me “Could nto create Java VM. LaunchAnywhere error”
    why?

#242237 Reply

Riyad Kalla

wplei,
    If you have trouble with the installer, please download and try the Manual Install isntead, the instructions are included inside the ZIP file. The installer can be moody on certain setups/platforms.

#244943 Reply

dlivesay

Scott,

I’m trying to upgrade my MyEclipse installation, so I read the FAQ entry, as you suggested, but it just doesn’t make any sense.

The instructions for using the Eclipse Update Manager begin: “Open the Install/Update Perspective.” I don’t see any perspective by that name. The only way I know to get updates is through Help > Software Updates > Find and Install…

Thinking that might have been what you meant, I opened the dialog and tried to continue. The next step says, “In the Feature Updates View, click Available Updates.” Well, I don’t see “Available Updates” anywhere.

So this FAQ is just totally unhelpful. Could you please explain to me:

1. How do I tell what version of MyEclipse I currently have installed and
    2. How do I update to the latest version (or any other version, for that matter)?

#244944 Reply

Riyad Kalla

1. How do I tell what version of MyEclipse I currently have installed and

MyEclipse > About menu

2. How do I update to the latest version (or any other version, for that matter)?

Using the Find & Install update functionality. The steps outlined in the FAQ are old (for Eclipse 2.x) sorry for that. After you open Find & Install, select the first option “Search for updates of the currently installed features”, hit Finish. From there it is self explanitory.

Not every version of Eclipse/MyEclipse can be upgraded from/to. For example if you are going from Eclipse 3.0 to 3.1, you need to perform a clean install. If you are going from MyEclipse 3.8 to 4.0, you need to perform a clean install.

This monday when 4.1 comes out you will be able to use the update manager for it though because it is still built ontop of Eclipse 3.1, same 4.0 was.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
Reply To: Proper Upgrade / Installation of MyEclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in